[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Mustang=warm fancy ride to work, but lacking in data connection and good apps

Nexus4=awesome sounding device, apps, data connection... but I'd feel awkward trying to drive it to work

Conclusion = both

Sent from my rotary phone

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was away from chatter thread because I was having to resolve some BS that happened to me yesterday .I will make this as brief as possible but still make sense.
I use a prepaid debit card on all these card readers you swipe your credit cards thou,since the credit card readers are not that secure (easy to hack).
I get paid by direct deposit from where I work so more often as not do carry that much actual cash.
Well yesterday I put $155.00 dollars on it (had $8.19 already on it).
I went to the gas station to get gas,their card reader system was down and not working, I found out after I already tried swiping my card twice.
I left without any gas.
I stop at grocery store to buy groceries, tried to use my card the clerk said it showed I had not enough money .
I texted my account and it had $ 0 money in my account.
I went back to gas station after I printed out my card statement off my computer, showing their system had charged me $163.19 for gas I did not get.
The gas station made a call and said I might not get it resolved til monday which set me off.
It was up to me to call their service that monitored their card readers and report.I just got a recording but left a message.(the service that monitors the card readers did call back eventually)
I contacted my debit card service to inform them so they could monitor what was going on.
About an hour later I got lucky and had my money restored to my account.The card reader service people said it usually doesnt get resolved over the weekend.
I will no longer do business at that gas station.
It embrassed the fuk out of me at the grocery store to have those groceries checked out at the manual check out stand and having to leave them as I had no way to pay for them at that time since them my account was $0.
If I had been using a regular credit card with alot more funds available on it this would not have been detected by me and grocery store chick, but as mentioned Im not going to use regular credit cards in those card readers .
Long story short( like its not to late :p) is I was able to get it resolved.
But it was BS for me to be the one having to jump though the hoops since all I tried to do was purchase some gas.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got your money back david. I'd be furious.

Sent from low Earth orbit from my Skyrocket.
Thanks,,, yeah there for awhile it looked like I wouldnt have til Monday.But its all good now.
Technology can be great sometimes but sometimes can be a pita when stuff goes wrong

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Going to the bank for some cash. Your experience reminds me that that debit and credit cards won't do much good if the power is out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This stray kitten it's able to have food again :) now to
guzysety.jpg

Sent from my SIII

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
How is chatter this Saturday?

Sent from my SGSIII

Most excellent. Didn't sleep quite as late as I had been on the weekends, lol.

If I had been using a regular credit card with alot more funds available on it this would not have been detected by me and grocery store chick

It might not have gotten detected until you checked your statement, which I do once a week to make sure no fraud has occurred. Also, you'd be surprised how good the card companies are at detecting fraud. When fraud occurs on one of my cards, they lock the card and call me within minutes. Is spending 163 bucks on gas common for you? If so, they would never have known, but, if not, I'm pretty sure you would have been getting a call pretty quickly.

Each to his own, but, I don't use cash or debit, only credit (maybe cash a handful of times a year at cash only places). There is no risk to using credit, I'm not liable for any fraud on my cards. And, I pay my balance of each month, so, not paying any interest.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Most excellent. Didn't sleep quite as late as I had been on the weekends, lol.

It might not have gotten detected until you checked your statement, which I do once a week to make sure no fraud has occurred. Also, you'd be surprised how good the card companies are at detecting fraud. When fraud occurs on one of my cards, they lock the card and call me within minutes. Is spending 163 bucks on gas common for you? If so, they would never have known, but, if not, I'm pretty sure you would have been getting a call pretty quickly.

Each to his own, but, I don't use cash or debit, only credit (maybe cash a handful of times a year at cash only places). There is no risk to using credit, I'm not liable for any fraud on my cards. And, I pay my balance of each month, so, not paying any interest.
I am not sure if green dot would have called me .Thats the name of the company that I have my prepaid debit card on . I use that card for all my internet charges,and card reader charges since I can just have a set amount of money available though it.The last 2 times I used a regular credit card online it got hacked both times from international charges,the credit card company(chase ) didnt call me about ,I had to inform them.I have monitoring text set up on my credit card(s) for added sercurity, I hardly ever use them anymore now tho ones paid off one still has a balance.
I havent fiqured out which site got hacked to get it but was either amazon store or the google market(wasnt called google play yet).Also no most times my gas purchases are around 20 to 40 dollars.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thoughts and prayers going out to those in the storm's path.

Like I said earlier.... I have minimal chance of ever seeing a hurricane.

Sent from my rotary phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351350143007.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351350143007.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 40

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if green dot would have called me .Thats the name of the company that I have my prepaid debit card on . I use that card for all my internet charges,and card reader charges since I can just have a set amount of money available though it.The last 2 times I used a regular credit card online it got hacked both times from international charges,the credit card company(chase ) didnt call me about ,I had to inform them.
I havent fiqured out which site got hacked to get it but was either amazon store or the google market(wasnt called google play yet).Also no most times my gas purchases are around 20 to 40 dollars.

Yea, I'm pretty sure my card company would have noticed that I don't normally spend that much on gas and let me know right away.

Wow, you had to call them, that's just sad. I had fraud occur the other day on a card I don't even use anymore. Probably hadn't used it in two years, but, kept it open because I had no reason to close it. But, I have two cards with the company, I can see both in my web banking, so, it's not like I forget about it. Anyway, they called me relatively quickly and had the account locked. I asked them how fraud could have possibly occurred on card years after it's been used, they said sometimes they'll hold on to numbers for years before using them.

That being said, that is Capital One. Lots of people complain about them, but, I'll tell you, I've never been happier with a bank. I have two credit cards with them, and checking/savings with them. While the rates on my bank accounts are a pittance, they are always better then most banks. Back when people were getting like, %0.05 I was getting about %1.25. Their customer service for banking/credit cards is absolutely outstanding.

One time I purchased something on eBay and it was a scam. Called eBay when I didn't see the item in my recent purchase history. They told me it was fraud and they deleted the account and all orders. I was furious that they didn't call me and will never use eBay again, but, that's another story. Anyway, to make the transaction I had to use a lesser known, but legitimate money exchanger (should have been a red flag, I should have known better). I had to contact them, couldn't get through to them, line kept being busy. Called Capital One, explained the story to them, I said, I know this really has nothing to do with you guys since the money transfer from my account to the money lender technically wasn't really fraud, it was from the money lender to the third party, but, what should I do. They called the money exchanger, put us on conference call, and, sorted the whole thing out for me. They had absolutely no reason to do that, but, they did.

Good rewards cards with Capital One too. Only draw back to them as a bank is they have no brick and mortar buildings. However, if you need cash they don't charge fees at other ATMs, and, they will reimburse you 30 bucks a month of fees that other banks charge you at their ATMs. If the other bank charges you 3 bucks to use their ATM, you could withdraw money 10 times a month and not pay any fees. At the moment I have no need for any of the other services banks offer, so, this is perfect for me.

I also use my Amex for gas, restaurants, and a couple of other places because of the cash back. I originally got it because it was a 50 dollar annual fee card, but, if you get it through Costco, they wave the fee. And, Costco only takes cash or Amex. And since I don't like to use cash, it was a no brainer. I have similar awesome customer service stories about Amex, but, I wont get into them, lol.

If you ever need a credit card in the future, I'd suggest one of those two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38