Recommend a charger?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Close. Personally, I would eliminate the USB ports to save on the size of the transformer, and just have an octopus of micro-USB charge cords.

Ironically, if you follow the link, the item is discontinued.

That article is a few years old. :p

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I understand physics just fine. I'm also fairly good at math. You will have heat problems pulling that much juice.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Sorry, the comment about physics was about the OP, not you. I acknowledge that wasn't clear.

And yes, a 10 amp charger will generate heat, but it's certainly possible. You don't need "good luck" to make it work. Just not in a small package like the OP wants.

Okay, so the doohickey I want would get hot if all five cords were in use? That's fine.

It wouldn't just get hot, it would be BIG.And you've already complained that smaller devices are too big. There are options available to meet your needs. They may not be perfect, or exactly what you want, but they'll accomplish more than whining will.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, the comment about physics was about the OP, not you. I acknowledge that wasn't clear.

And yes, a 10 amp charger will generate heat, but it's certainly possible. You don't need "good luck" to make it work. Just not in a small package like the OP wants.

It wouldn't just get hot, it would be BIG.And you've already complained that smaller devices are too big. There are options available to meet your needs. They may not be perfect, or exactly what you want, but they'll accomplish more than whining will.

So, to sum up your comments more succinctly, you don't know. Gotcha.

MrBattery

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
So you want 5 2A chargers in one plug? Wall outlets are limited to 15A max, so good luck with that.

If you're going directly compare amps like that you need to make sure the voltage is the same. Your household outlet is supplying 15 amps at 110 volts, or 1650 watts. His desired phone charger would output 10 amps at 5 volts, or 50 watts. In other words about 0.5 amps @ 110 volts, plus some conversion losses for AC->DC.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're going directly compare amps like that you need to make sure the voltage is the same. Your household outlet is supplying 15 amps at 110 volts, or 1650 watts. His desired phone charger would output 10 amps at 5 volts, or 50 watts. In other words about 0.5 amps @ 110 volts, plus some conversion losses for AC->DC.

Good point. Wonder what the conversion factor is and how much heat is generated during the process.