Some questions re S4/Pure Google S4/KLP

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
So I just made the switch from an iPhone, FINALLY, and loving the S4. But a few questions:

1) I assume it will be possible to root the S4 to a Pure Google ROM once the Pure Google edition is released?
2) If I do that, will I be able to get KLP etc. OS updates straight from Google, or do I still have to wait for rooted ROMs?
3) Would it be worth waiting for whatever flagship phone releases with KLP? (whether it's the Nexus or not, there will be SOMETHING!) The only reason I haven't gone Nexus is because the S4 has way better specs + LTE...
4) I know nothing about rooting, but don't want to use cracked apps or anything, just get rid of this TouchWiz interface. Will it cause any major problems?

Thanks!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I just made the switch from an iPhone, FINALLY, and loving the S4. But a few questions:

1) I assume it will be possible to root the S4 to a Pure Google ROM once the Pure Google edition is released?
2) If I do that, will I be able to get KLP etc. OS updates straight from Google, or do I still have to wait for rooted ROMs?
3) Would it be worth waiting for whatever flagship phone releases with KLP? (whether it's the Nexus or not, there will be SOMETHING!) The only reason I haven't gone Nexus is because the S4 has way better specs + LTE...
4) I know nothing about rooting, but don't want to use cracked apps or anything, just get rid of this TouchWiz interface. Will it cause any major problems?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums!
1. Yes, possible to root. And open to get any ROM you want, so long as it is available. The question will be if the ROM for the Google Edition will be available.
2. Chances are very good that remaining stock will get Key Lime Pie. The counter question will be when.
3. I would say for now, get whatever you would like. If rumors are correct, Key Lime Pie won't come out, due to another version of Jelly Bean will, 4.3.
4. If TouchWiz is what you don't like, download a different launcher from Play, like Nova, ADW, or Apex. With the new launcher enabled, and TouchWiz not active, the device will even be a tiny bit smoother.

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
1. Yes, possible to root. And open to get any ROM you want, so long as it is available. The question will be if the ROM for the Google Edition will be available.
2. Chances are very good that remaining stock will get Key Lime Pie. The counter question will be when.
3. I would say for now, get whatever you would like. If rumors are correct, Key Lime Pie won't come out, due to another version of Jelly Bean will, 4.3.
4. If TouchWiz is what you don't like, download a different launcher from Play, like Nova, ADW, or Apex. With the new launcher enabled, and TouchWiz not active, the device will even be a tiny bit smoother.

Thanks! A few clarifications.
1. OK, does this mean I could conceivably ROM to... stock JB 4.2.2 or whatever it is currently, right now? Or do I have to wait for a special ROM from the Google Edition S4?
2. Yes, I wasn't worried about KLP actually - more like whatever comes after. If KLP comes out in Nov, I know the S4 will get it, but was more wondering about next year's update (since I'll still be on contract.)
2a. Essentially I'm wondering if running a Google Edition ROM would allow me to receive updates directly from Google when it pushes them to Google Edition phones... I'm assuming not though, but worth a check.
3. True, but even if JB doesn't come out, would there not be a new flagship phone with LTE, updated specs, etc, that runs pure Android?
4. The launcher is fine, it's the dialer / contacts app that are driving me crazy. I'm trying to replace with e.g. exDialer, but I can't set defaults, and when I actually dial a call or edit a contact, it reverts to the stock app...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
1. OK, does this mean I could conceivably ROM to... stock JB 4.2.2 or whatever it is currently, right now? Or do I have to wait for a special ROM from the Google Edition S4?
2. Yes, I wasn't worried about KLP actually - more like whatever comes after. If KLP comes out in Nov, I know the S4 will get it, but was more wondering about next year's update (since I'll still be on contract.)
2a. Essentially I'm wondering if running a Google Edition ROM would allow me to receive updates directly from Google when it pushes them to Google Edition phones... I'm assuming not though, but worth a check.
3. True, but even if JB doesn't come out, would there not be a new flagship phone with LTE, updated specs, etc, that runs pure Android?
4. The launcher is fine, it's the dialer / contacts app that are driving me crazy. I'm trying to replace with e.g. exDialer, but I can't set defaults, and when I actually dial a call or edit a contact, it reverts to the stock app...

1. Yes. You only need to flash a ROM for your specific model device. Google Edition is irrelevant. You can find a ROM that is pure Android Open Source Project (AOSP)
2. Depending on when the following update gets released. Chances are very good that the S4 will see two updates. But, assuming the rumors are true, that would be 4.3, and 5.0.
2a. I highly doubt it. There would most likely be a carrier in your way. They have to skin the ROMs for their bloatware.
3. In theory, yes. However, that is gazing far into the future in the realm of electronic devices.
4. I think that is a limitation on the ROM versus the app.

Why do you want to root?

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
1. Yes. You only need to flash a ROM for your specific model device. Google Edition is irrelevant. You can find a ROM that is pure Android Open Source Project (AOSP)
2. Depending on when the following update gets released. Chances are very good that the S4 will see two updates. But, assuming the rumors are true, that would be 4.3, and 5.0.
2a. I highly doubt it. There would most likely be a carrier in your way. They have to skin the ROMs for their bloatware.
3. In theory, yes. However, that is gazing far into the future in the realm of electronic devices.
4. I think that is a limitation on the ROM versus the app.

Why do you want to root?

1, 2, 4. Thanks - that's all good to know. And yes, I think TouchWiz doesn't let you replace the default dialer.
3. True, but it's only 6 months away! I can't imagine there wouldn't be a device that at least has LTE, and maybe has a sharper screen etc...

I mostly want to root to get the stock Android skin and get rid of all the Samsung bloatware. REALLY dislike the look of TouchWiz, it's a far cry from the stock sleekness.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!!

1) My guess is as soon as the S4 Google edition is released the devs will provide a pure Google rom to flash on your version of the S4.
2)Once you root, you will not receive any official updates. That being said, each time an update is released our wonderful devs give you
a version to flash(install) on your device and chances are it's better than what went through your carrier anyway. If you decide that you
prefer to be back to stock(unrooted) you can reverse the process. Also if you are not wanting to root I would recommend installing NOVA
launcher. It is very smooth and gives you that stock Android look and feel.
3)I would not wait for the first KLP device. More than likely we are looking at several months and there will ALWAYS be something faster/
newer/better coming down the pipeline. Purchase the best device you can afford at the time you need/want a new one and make sure YOU
are happy with your choice.
4)Rooting is different than jailbreaking. Rooting the device allows you to take complete control over every aspect of your device and modify
things that Samsung/your carrier didn't think you should. Once you root your device you will still be running the same ROM and it won't look
any different. Once rooted, you install a custom recovery on your device which allows you to flash new roms/mods. I recommend doing A LOT
of reading and research before you root. There is a stigma with rooting that it is dangerous and very risky. That being said, it can be if you do
not understand every aspect or if you flash something not designed for your device. If you check out XDA developers and find the forum for your
carrier specific S4 you can go from there.

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
1) My guess is as soon as the S4 Google edition is released the devs will provide a pure Google rom to flash on your version of the S4.
2)Once you root, you will not receive any official updates. That being said, each time an update is released our wonderful devs give you
a version to flash(install) on your device and chances are it's better than what went through your carrier anyway. If you decide that you
prefer to be back to stock(unrooted) you can reverse the process. Also if you are not wanting to root I would recommend installing NOVA
launcher. It is very smooth and gives you that stock Android look and feel.
3)I would not wait for the first KLP device. More than likely we are looking at several months and there will ALWAYS be something faster/
newer/better coming down the pipeline. Purchase the best device you can afford at the time you need/want a new one and make sure YOU
are happy with your choice.
4)Rooting is different than jailbreaking. Rooting the device allows you to take complete control over every aspect of your device and modify
things that Samsung/your carrier didn't think you should. Once you root your device you will still be running the same ROM and it won't look
any different. Once rooted, you install a custom recovery on your device which allows you to flash new roms/mods. I recommend doing A LOT
of reading and research before you root. There is a stigma with rooting that it is dangerous and very risky. That being said, it can be if you do
not understand every aspect or if you flash something not designed for your device. If you check out XDA developers and find the forum for your
carrier specific S4 you can go from there.

Thanks for all this. A few clarifying questions:

1. I'm now a little confused: why release a pure Google ROM for the S4 if I can already do that now as per the above post?
2. I tried NOVA and didn't like it that much lol. I'm fine with TW launcher, it's just the ugly settings / messaging / dialer app that I really want to get rid of, plus the bloatware. I can't disable the stock dialer, but maybe rooting will allow me to.
4. Yeah, I used to jailbreak but new to rooting. But if I can flash back to stock ROM and/or unroot easily, that's fine. (if I flashed back to stock ROM, would it still be rooted?)
5. One additional Q: if I want to flash a new ROM (either stock->GE or vice versa), would I be able to backup all my data (SMS, contacts (not synced with Google), call log, apps and app data etc) before flashing by using something like Helium and then restore after? Or would the new ROM mean I have to start from scratch?

Thanks again.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all this. A few clarifying questions:

1. I'm now a little confused: why release a pure Google ROM for the S4 if I can already do that now as per the above post?
2. I tried NOVA and didn't like it that much lol. I'm fine with TW launcher, it's just the ugly settings / messaging / dialer app that I really want to get rid of, plus the bloatware. I can't disable the stock dialer, but maybe rooting will allow me to.
4. Yeah, I used to jailbreak but new to rooting. But if I can flash back to stock ROM and/or unroot easily, that's fine. (if I flashed back to stock ROM, would it still be rooted?)
5. One additional Q: if I want to flash a new ROM (either stock->GE or vice versa), would I be able to backup all my data (SMS, contacts (not synced with Google), call log, apps and app data etc) before flashing by using something like Helium and then restore after? Or would the new ROM mean I have to start from scratch?

Thanks again.

1)(If I am wrong and someone knows more about development than me please correct me)The developers release AOSP(Android Open Source Project) or AOKP(Android Open Kang Project) for most every device.These roms are based on stock android and not touchwiz or whatever skin that certain device is running. Since Android code is open source, the devs build roms based on stock google software. The problem is, with devices such as the GS4 there are certain things that may not work properly(such as video recording audio volume) in an AOSP/AOKP built rom due to Samsung not releasing the code. Having google develop stock android for the GS4.ONE,EXPERIA etc means they have designed it for that specific device so everything should work as intended.
2)Rooting would allow you to flash a custom rom which may have different dialers/menu designs etc. Each developer changes certain things in their roms and you can read about each one before you flash it. I have never messed with changing the dialer but I believe they may have alternate ones in the google play store.
3)If you flash back to a stock rom you will still be rooted. Generally you would unroot in a similar way to how you rooted. Odin is a good tool for Samsung devices but again each device is different so the process for your device would be on xda.
4)Using an app like Titanium backup will allow you to back all of your data up and restore all or only some depending on your preference. This is one of the best things about rooting is the ability to back up anything I need.

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
1)(If I am wrong and someone knows more about development than me please correct me)The developers release AOSP(Android Open Source Project) or AOKP(Android Open Kang Project) for most every device.These roms are based on stock android and not touchwiz or whatever skin that certain device is running. Since Android code is open source, the devs build roms based on stock google software. The problem is, with devices such as the GS4 there are certain things that may not work properly(such as video recording audio volume) in an AOSP/AOKP built rom due to Samsung not releasing the code. Having google develop stock android for the GS4.ONE,EXPERIA etc means they have designed it for that specific device so everything should work as intended.
2)Rooting would allow you to flash a custom rom which may have different dialers/menu designs etc. Each developer changes certain things in their roms and you can read about each one before you flash it. I have never messed with changing the dialer but I believe they may have alternate ones in the google play store.
3)If you flash back to a stock rom you will still be rooted. Generally you would unroot in a similar way to how you rooted. Odin is a good tool for Samsung devices but again each device is different so the process for your device would be on xda.
4)Using an app like Titanium backup will allow you to back all of your data up and restore all or only some depending on your preference. This is one of the best things about rooting is the ability to back up anything I need.

OK perfect this answers everything I need to know except one thing:

2: I can replace the dialer with one from the store, but it still defaults to the stock TouchWiz dialer when I try to make a call, which is annoying. Same for contacts. But if I root (just root - no flash) I would be able to disable the stock TouchWiz dialer and contacts apps and use the replacements entirely, no?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
OK perfect this answers everything I need to know except one thing:

2: I can replace the dialer with one from the store, but it still defaults to the stock TouchWiz dialer when I try to make a call, which is annoying. Same for contacts. But if I root (just root - no flash) I would be able to disable the stock TouchWiz dialer and contacts apps and use the replacements entirely, no?

Yes, if you root you can use an app like Titanium backup to freeze the touchwiz dialer. Freezing will make it appear to have been uninstalled but if you decide you want it back at a later day you can just unfreeze it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Assuming the hardware is the same, yeah, probably. Because you will need all the drivers and stuff for whatever hardware you are installing it on. We do not yet know if the hardware will be the same as the current S4 (it is likely IMO, but not 100%).

If it is able to use the GE ROM, then yes, you will get updates indefinitely via ROMMing.

I would be leery about accepting OTA updates on any rooted device. I know of other people that have done it and had it work. That being said, I am guessing that google has a way of determining which S4's are GE S4s and which are not.

I had the same issue on my Rezound, and it has made me hate Sense with a passion. There is no real way around that other than ROMMing. Believe me I tried.

I had exDialer as well. Sense allows you to set defaults for the dialer app, and it worked well enough. But whenever exDialer updated it would default BACK to Sense. It was annoying as hell. The only way around that is to install a Vanilla ROM or buy a Vanilla phone.

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Assuming the hardware is the same, yeah, probably. Because you will need all the drivers and stuff for whatever hardware you are installing it on. We do not yet know if the hardware will be the same as the current S4 (it is likely IMO, but not 100%).

Ooh, thanks for the tip. In that case if I was to ROM now, do you know if I would lose any functionality on the vanilla ROM? (camera, volume etc as was mentioned before?) or would that be mentioned in the ROM info?

would you suggest waiting for the GE rom?

I had exDialer as well. Sense allows you to set defaults for the dialer app, and it worked well enough. But whenever exDialer updated it would default BACK to Sense. It was annoying as hell. The only way around that is to install a Vanilla ROM or buy a Vanilla phone.

gah! lolol. TouchWiz has so many useful things like extended menu options, a great home screen, multi-window... but the skin. is. so. ugly. I could deal with exDialer defaulting back to TW if it would allow me to set as proper default for dialing etc., but it won't do that. Maybe rooting is the solution to that and can give me a happy medium since it would allow me to freeze the stock dialer / contacts app.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, thanks for the tip. In that case if I was to ROM now, do you know if I would lose any functionality on the vanilla ROM? (camera, volume etc as was mentioned before?) or would that be mentioned in the ROM info?
Yes, probably. Some of the features in the S4 and One are embedded in their skins as well. The camera will work, but may not work as well as the touchwiz one in the Samsung S4.

It is hard to say at this point because this kind of thing has not happened before. HTC has said that the GE One will support Beats Audio, which is definitely not stock Android. So there is some hope that HTC or Samsung could support most or all of the official features in their phones.

would you suggest waiting for the GE rom?
There is no point in waiting. But IMO, if you really want a Vanilla S4, I would just get the GE S4 if you can. If the ROMs are cross compatible you could always just install a Touchwiz ROM on the GE phone too.

gah! lolol. TouchWiz has so many useful things like extended menu options, a great home screen, multi-window... but the skin. is. so. ugly. I could deal with exDialer defaulting back to TW if it would allow me to set as proper default for dialing etc., but it won't do that. Maybe rooting is the solution to that and can give me a happy medium since it would allow me to freeze the stock dialer / contacts app.
I have not seen anything in Touchwiz that I could not live without myself. The Camera is very nice. Everything else seems kinda gimmicky at this point.

A lot of custom ROMs will do what you are suggesting...they will retain the behind-the-scene stuff of Touchwiz while removing everything else and going stock.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
a GE S4 is too expensive lol. and thanks, I'll look into the custom ROMs.
It is exactly the same price as far as I know.

If you mean it has no financing, well, that will remain to be seen. I got my Nexus 4 Financed through T-Mobile...so the fact that it is a Google Play product does not mean you won't be able to finance it.

kabutar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
It is exactly the same price as far as I know.

If you mean it has no financing, well, that will remain to be seen. I got my Nexus 4 Financed through T-Mobile...so the fact that it is a Google Play product does not mean you won't be able to finance it.

Sorry, yes I meant it has no financing. I'm also in Canada, so doubtful it would be financed here (sadly) - Fido (my carrier) doesn't even have the HTC One!