Do you trust Google?

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering. I'm a big Google fan, but I was just thinking about how my entire life is basically on my phone. I rely so much on Google to be respectful of my information. What about you?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering. I'm a big Google fan, but I was just thinking about how my entire life is basically on my phone. I rely so much on Google to be respectful of my information. What about you?

Not in the least. Look at their pushy behavior trying to get people onto Google+, which will basically link every single google sign up you have to sometimes under your real full name. They have so many times linked me into it, or 1 wrong button and your google and youtube names etc, join, next thing you know you send an email to someone and they can look up videos you comment on. They're creepy and they could give 2 ----- about your privacy. I have to be soooo careful that they don't take my full real name email address and hook it up to every thing. Sometimes i go into google+ just to "deactivate" even though i haven't signed up, and lo and behold.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't trust any company to look after my interests any more than it serves its interests. Privacy in the traditional sense is dying, if it isn't dead already. I prefer the convenience of living with it to the frustration of trying to fight the system.

Chanlion

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Even my search on my desktop uses a different engine.

I know I'll never be able to fully protect my data but I try to keep as much as possible away from Google. I'm not paranoid but having a Youtube, GMail, Play is good enough for me. Simply having all my data in one place is not great.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Seeing that Google is going the Facebook route with Google+, it won't be long before the government and NSA gets their hands on it, I just don't like my name getting thrown out there- I've had a few incidents in the past considering that so I'm not willing to participate in being listed.

So... even though I like Google, I don't trust them that much.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If Google wants to waste their server storage on my data, they can knock themselves out! The benefits I get in search and information in exchange for my data is worth it. And, I don't think their competitors are any better at protecting privacy. It's just that Google is the best at knowing what to do with the data they collect. The others are like a dog chasing a car; what does he do with it once he catches it? OK, turn it over to the NSA I guess...

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Not in the least. Look at their pushy behavior trying to get people onto Google+, which will basically link every single google sign up you have to sometimes under your real full name.

You don't have to use your full name:

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1228271

You must provide a two-part name. It’s acceptable for one of these to be an initial, but not both. For example, “Jane Smith,” “Jane S.,” and “J. Smith” are allowed, but “J. S.” isn’t.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Google sees everything you do when using anything google. But they don't do anything with that information besides use it to give you a better experience. They know exactly who you are and what your looking up on google. And they know that your into some kinky sh*t. So don't worry about trusting them. The only time they give out the dirt on you is when the authorities come asking. So don't do anything stupid and your good.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Google sees everything you do when using anything google. But they don't do anything with that information besides use it to give you a better experience. They know exactly who you are and what your looking up on google. And they know that your into some kinky sh*t. So don't worry about trusting them. The only time they give out the dirt on you is when the authorities come asking. So don't do anything stupid and your good.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using AC Forums mobile app

Lol. This.

Note 8.0

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I personally think people over react about privacy online. I don't expect it. Bottom line I don't care if google knows I spend too much time on AC, or that I searched for a nearby restaurant, or that I have old college essays in my google drive, or that I have pictures of trips with my friends. I am ok with them having this information and to be honest for the most part they seem to actually make things better by knowing it.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

i know. but i have one with my full name and one without and it does everything it can to loop my one email in there to the google plus. i do understand it doesn't have to be my full name, an email i made before the dragnet campaign, but many people have their regular name google email and google does everything they can to link everything together, people don't realize how much. My sister was very surprised that she even had a google plus account, you have to be very careful if you want to avoid one, like hyper careful and even then it can be missed, like when i went in to check i didn't need to deactivate, and had do just that, for the 2nd time. 1 wrong click and your blog is linked, your youtube stuff, etc. Other people may think that's cool, i find it obnoxious. The last obnoxious move i got was "do you want to link to your real name" -no- "okay, we'll ask you again later". Gimme a break.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
My phone has its own Google account, has my full name and my number, I didn't realize until very recently that Hangout shows your phone #, I'm not particularly fond of that. When I want to write something on Youtube, it's a different account and doesn't have Google+ yet, I've had a couple prompts asking me to create and link it a few times and I said no, it'll probably eventually just make one for me later and I'll just use a stupid screen name in both first and last name.

mth785

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I trust Google enough, it is in their best interest to keep customers happy and not go crazy with our information.

Via my Nexus 4.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Google is actually skynet and they are gathering information to catalog us for the robot apocalypse. By checking all those anonymous usage statistic boxes I am assisting them and may be able to gain favor with our future robot overlords.