Why is rooting so hard?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: why is rooting so hard?

I hope everyone understands rooting is an exploit in a phone and manufacturers try to prevent as many exploits as possible. Why do you think manufacturers push out updates that break root? Not only to keep using their services they wanted, its also to secure your own device. What if malware exploit came in through the way root does and takes over your phone? What makes stock devices so bad you have to void warranties and find exploits in your device just so you can have some more functionality?

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Hey quick question , I'm sorry if this sounds a bit silly but if I unlocked my bootloader could I flash a ROM that's already rooted with busybox installed on the ROM or does it not work like that??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I dont think you need to unlock bootloader to install custom rom. You only need to root and install recovery app like cwm, etc.

Bootloader unlock required if you want to flash custom kernel.

CMIIW

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Samsung is easy flash one file with Odin and one in the custom recovery. And done. At least with the s3 any way

Posted via Android Central App

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

I dont think you need to unlock bootloader to install custom rom. You only need to root and install recovery app like cwm, etc.

Bootloader unlock required if you want to flash custom kernel.

CMIIW

Yeah but the trouble is I'm trying to do it on my HTC one sv and its a bit complicated rooting it , I've checked the xda forums and installing busybox is a problem that's why I wanted to flash a ROM that's already rooted and got busybox installed... :)

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Yeah but the trouble is I'm trying to do it on my HTC one sv and its a bit complicated rooting it , I've checked the xda forums and installing busybox is a problem that's why I wanted to flash a ROM that's already rooted and got busybox installed... :)

To flash a custom rom you have to root your phone in the first place... I did not own HTC phone but from my experience with other phone you can't install custom rom just by unlocking the bootloader...

Again CMIIW

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know, HTC phones have problem with S-on which mean you can't make changes to the system partition. This website can do S-off for various HTC phones. http://moonshine.io

I think you still need to root it first to perform S-off though.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

To flash a custom rom you have to root your phone in the first place... I did not own HTC phone but from my experience with other phone you can't install custom rom just by unlocking the bootloader...

Again CMIIW

Thanks for your help...

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

As far as I know, HTC phones have problem with S-on which mean you can't make changes to the system partition. This website can do S-off for various HTC phones. http://moonshine.io

I think you still need to root it first to perform S-off though.

I downloaded moonshine to my PC and was gonna start the process but I backed out , I might give it a go soon....

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Piggy-back question:

Once a phone is rooted, does it take programing knowledge after that? At some point if I get another moto, or maybe even a trade, I am thinking maybe I could get an unlocked dev edition and have someone root it for me. But after that, I have zero programing knowledge. Can I just use it like that and still take advantage of apps that require root?

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Piggy-back question:

Once a phone is rooted, does it take programing knowledge after that? At some point if I get another moto, or maybe even a trade, I am thinking maybe I could get an unlocked dev edition and have someone root it for me. But after that, I have zero programing knowledge. Can I just use it like that and still take advantage of apps that require root?

Yeah sure once its rooted the work as been done for ya , if you have no or limited knowledge about rooted phones then it could be a little complicated using things like the xposed framework but even that's easy with a bit of practice one major tip I can give ya is once you get your phone ask the person who's rooting it to perform a nandroid backup and that way you can mess about with it as much as you want and if you mess it up (which is quite hard) then you can restore your backup and start again p.s restoring your backup doesn't lose root access... Come back for more info if you get your rooted phone and I'll tell you some cool stuff to do :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah sure once its rooted the work as been done for ya , if you have no or limited knowledge about rooted phones then it could be a little complicated using things like the xposed framework but even that's easy with a bit of practice one major tip I can give ya is once you get your phone ask the person who's rooting it to perform a nandroid backup and that way you can mess about with it as much as you want and if you mess it up (which is quite hard) then you can restore your backup and start again p.s restoring your backup doesn't lose root access... Come back for more info if you get your rooted phone and I'll tell you some cool stuff to do :)

Thanks so much! Oh man, so mad i didn't get the dev edition. I'll look into options to get one in a month or so when i have a little more time. : )!

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

For me it's not so much about stock not being good enough, but more about it's my damn phone and I want to control and approve of every thing that's on it. It used to be super easy and you could unlock the bootloader for almost all devices. Now that AT&T and Verizon have become obsessed with locking their devices down and shoving their bloatware crap down everyone's throat, the only real option for freedom is a Nexus or a Dev Edition/Google Play Edition device.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks so much! Oh man, so mad i didn't get the dev edition. I'll look into options to get one in a month or so when i have a little more time. : )!
Save your money, if the bootloader isn't unlockable now, I'm guessing soon it'll be for a device this new.

Not a great suggestion, but you could get the Moto G GPe. But I wouldn't get a device until I know there are lots of rooms for it, but I'm confident the Moto G will be a hit with it.

Also sorry but I've made a mistake, I checked again with the contacts thing. With CyanogenMod running 4.4.2 on a non Nexus device, even with that it only display contacts from Google once you are logged into Google account, there are no selection for phone contacts. You simply will have to not use Google account or stick with older Android version forever if you don't want Google to know your contacts or use some third party app to manage contacts.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... and don't messed up the bootloader you could fried your chip and hard bricked your phone.

If you're serious about rooting i think xda is the best place to start.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Save your money, if the bootloader isn't unlockable now, I'm guessing soon it'll be for a device this new.

Not a great suggestion, but you could get the Moto G GPe. But I wouldn't get a device until I know there are lots of rooms for it, but I'm confident the Moto G will be a hit with it.

Also sorry but I've made a mistake, I checked again with the contacts thing. With CyanogenMod running 4.4.2 on a non Nexus device, even with that it only display contacts from Google once you are logged into Google account, there are no selection for phone contacts. You simply will have to not use Google account or stick with older Android version forever if you don't want Google to know your contacts or use some third party app to manage contacts.

sent via tapatalk

Thanks so much. And I fixed the contacts thing.You'll laugh when you see how forest through the trees. Settings..apps..google contacts sync..disable. lol. Left an update. I went with the 2nd solution.

I was really thinking about things like this http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...be-1-button-toggle-something.html#post3393202,

and minimizing the soft button bar (or making it translucent), and maybe a solution for this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/353575-faster-widget-searching.html

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think some people forgot that rooting is exploiting a vulnerability in your device so it would be hard sewing as you a re literally breaking the security of the device.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App