Am I too entrenched in Apple to switch?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a iPhone 5S, a iPad 4, And a apple TV which I purchased a few weeks ago.

But I'm honestly just bored with iOS. It's not that there bad products, they just don't do enough for me. But I'm worried that I'm too entrenched in apple to even switch.

I own about a dozen games on iOS, but don't really play many of them anymore, and the only apps I use daily are fantastical and tweetbot.

The other ones are on android.

I know I can always sell the iPhone and iPad, but theres not much I can do with the apple TV. I can't even return it. Don't have the receipt or box anymore.

Is the best thisng to do is save for a nexus 5 and then sell the iPhone? I want to keep the iPad as my big tablet just so I can at least still play my games, apps, and do airplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: am I too entrenched in apple to switch?

I have a iPhone 5S, a iPad 4, And a apple TV which I purchased a few weeks ago.

But I'm honestly just bored with iOS. It's not that there bad products, they just don't do enough for me. But I'm worried that I'm too entrenched in apple to even switch.

I own about a dozen games on iOS, but don't really play many of them anymore, and the only apps I use daily are fantastical and tweetbot.

The other ones are on android.

I know I can always sell the iPhone and iPad, but theres not much I can do with the apple TV. I can't even return it. Don't have the receipt or box anymore.

Is the bet this g to do is save for a nexus 5 and then sell the iPhone? I kinds want to keep the iPad as my big tablet just so I can at least still play my games, apps, and do airplay.
That's really up for you to decide. Would it be worth the trouble to sell the phone/TV and maybe the tablet to get something else? You could easily get more than enough from the iPhone to pay for a Nexus 5. If you don't use many apps then it shouldn't be an issue like it for others who have tons of paid apps and services for Apple products. A lot of the paid apps on iOS are free on Android anyway :D

Dviper27

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

It mostly up to you to decide. If you are bored with Apple, then the custom feel of the Android will be sure to entertain you!
Thanks,
Ziffid

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Nah I disagree with these guys, it's never to late, you should totally give Android a try, there are unlimited things you can do with Android if you know how. The iPhone and iPad have good resale value so you can even out the cost.

sent via tapatalk

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Nah I disagree with these guys, it's never to late, you should totally give Android a try, there are unlimited things you can do with Android if you know how. The iPhone and iPad have good resale value so you can even out the cost.

sent via tapatalk

Well, I already have a nexus 7.

achjayz

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I made the switch from apple to android almost 100%. Like you, I got really bored with the iOS systems. I didn't think they were bad either... in fact, they run really smooth and for someone who wants that simplicity/stability, I would strongly recommend Apple. I had the iPad Air, iPad mini w/ retina, a MacBook Air and an iPhone 5S. I now have a Samsung Note 3, a surface pro 2, and I just ordered the LG G pad Google Play edition. Thankfully I was able to return most of my apple products and sell my iPhone to get my money back. Anyway... I like it so much better now. I have a MacBook Pro because it's my "house computer" and customized to be that way... but with everything else, I am immensely pleased with the switch.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I made the switch from apple to android almost 100%. Like you, I got really bored with the iOS systems. I didn't think they were bad either... in fact, they run really smooth and for someone who wants that simplicity/stability, I would strongly recommend Apple. I had the iPad Air, iPad mini w/ retina, a MacBook Air and an iPhone 5S. I now have a Samsung Note 3, a surface pro 2, and I just ordered the LG G pad Google Play edition. Thankfully I was able to return most of my apple products and sell my iPhone to get my money back. Anyway... I like it so much better now. I have a MacBook Pro because it's my "house computer" and customized to be that way... but with everything else, I am immensely pleased with the switch.

Do you play mobile games? One thing I find on my nexus 7 is that games seem like they are less responsive in the controls vs my iPad/iPhone.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

This is a big reason why I have stayed away from Apple, not even having an iPod: I never wanted get trapped.

You should definitely be able to get enough money from selling your iPhone to be able to buy a new phone, though.

achjayz

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Do you play mobile games? One thing I find on my nexus 7 is that games seem like they are less responsive in the controls vs my iPad/iPhone.

I actually don't play a lot of mobile games. I'm currently in grad school full time so I use most of my devices for research, pdf reading, writing reports or studying for some exam. So I have to say my user experience is probably different than most and I don't experience much lag since I don't use visually intensive apps.

Posted via Android Central App

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to see Apple as a great company that produced the best and most reliable OS. What happend Steve Jobs got ousted and then sadly passed, Then Woz cant remember what happed there. The point now with Tim Cook running the show the spark has been replaced by ego and lack of attention to detail and offering that bit of magic has gone, not entirely mind you as the 5s is a good phone but apple used to make great products that now is lost for now anyway.

I have never liked being locked into a system. Open source has always had my attention as it offers more freedom and its of course brilliant for aspiring developers.

I would always reccomend Andoid over ios and more so now ad its just as stable as ios was a time when that wasnt true. Ios is for the ease of use, simpicity but more people enjoy getting the buzz of having an Android and 3-6months down the line discovering a feature that got overlooked or perhaps been bold and get into rooting and flashing roms.

Apple at this point just bore me had a shot of a 5s and within mins discoverd all there was to. That for me is dull and offers very little joy.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

iOS and the iPhone are nice if that simplified interface is all you'll ever want. The 5s is really a nice sliq handset. Android just allows so much more personalization for those that want it. If you can leave iOS without missing it intensely I'd say give Android a shot. You'll find a lot to love.

Note 3

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

iOS and the iPhone are nice if that simplified interface is all you'll ever want. The 5s is really a nice sliq handset. Android just allows so much more personalization for those that want it. If you can leave iOS without missing it intensely I'd say give Android a shot. You'll find a lot to love.

Note 3

Agreed I dont think Apple are crap by any means but i do think that spark is missing. Ios is great as stated if that is all you want and need but Android offers more. If you feel strongly that the excitement has gone. Then make the switch you will be far from dissapointed.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

We'll, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do at the moment. I still owe 544 dollars on the iPhone due to AT&T next , and I also have to make car repairs. My car still runs, it's just there's things that needed to be fixed on it like a year ago like a new radiator.

And I also don't want to be without a smartphone while waiting for my nexus 5 to ship to me. So I'd probaly get the nexus 5 then sell the iPhone. And use the iPhone money to either pay off the iPhone or fix the car, probaly the car.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

We'll, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do at the moment. I still owe 544 dollars on the iPhone due to AT&T next , and I also have to make car repairs. My car still runs, it's just there's things that needed to be fixed on it like a year ago like a new radiator.

And I also don't want to be without a smartphone while waiting for my nexus 5 to ship to me. So I'd probaly get the nexus 5 then sell the iPhone. And use the iPhone money to either pay off the iPhone or fix the car, probaly the car.

Pay the bills first, man. Then worry about what phone you have.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I guess...

I agree, your car to get you to work takes precedent. The Nexus 5 isn't going anywhere. I also agree with the other posters that it is never too late/entrenched to switch. If you want to, do it. I personally see no problem, in your situation, to keep the Apple TV, and iPad.

Who knows, by the time you are ready to make a purchase, there might be the great new thing from HTC, the S5 will be out, or the Moto X[SUP]2[/SUP] (Or XX or X2). :p

Point is, Android as a whole is here to stay for quite some time, and will be here when you want to get a new device.

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I really like the Apple products but my 5s was dull after a while, switched to a Nexus5 and couldn't be happier! Most of the apps I use are free anyway, so it wasn't a big deal, but if your tied in with apps, music etc then it's more of a risk if you don't like android, but kitkat for me seems awesome and so far smooth, fast, and more importantly reliable!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The way I see it is just go for it! Just because you have an Android OS phone does not mean you will not EVER touch a MAC device again. Enjoy and use them both. More importantly use what you like using! Even if its one or the other.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

If possible, give Android a try. I wouldn't let how long you've invested in the OS determine what you use. If you decide on getting an Android device let us know what you get and how you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

AndroidAmyC

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

I'd say go for it! The worst case scenario is you trade in your iPhone and decide you want to switch back. As for the TV is there really a need to get rid of it? It's not like there is an big Android centric alternative, and if you hold on to the iPad those two can still interact right? Otherwise try the secondhand market. I'm sure you could sell it on eBay or Amazon if you are so inclined.