Google Nexus vs Samsung

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

I am looking for some thoughts and feedback, I am looking to purchase a new phone and tablet and I am at a crossroads of whether to go for a Google Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 or to go for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Pro 8.4.

I prefer the design of the Samsung tablets, especially the newer devices with the chrome bezel and faux leather back, however I much prefer the simplicity of stock Android.

What are other peoples views and thought's on the best combination?

Thanks
Neil

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's all down to personal opinion.

Nexus devices don't have all the bells and whistles Samsung crams into their devices, but for that, you get a good user experience and being one of the very first to receive major Android system updates.

Samsung devices, on the other hand, is packed with features, all the way to the brim. They may not be flashy or receive Android updates quickly, but it handles just about anything, especially the Note series.

What I would personally do is buy the Note 3 and the Nexus 7, but your choice is all up to you.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

I am looking for some thoughts and feedback, I am looking to purchase a new phone and tablet and I am at a crossroads of whether to go for a Google Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 or to go for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Pro 8.4.

I prefer the design of the Samsung tablets, especially the newer devices with the chrome bezel and faux leather back, however I much prefer the simplicity of stock Android.

What are other peoples views and thought's on the best combination?
It will depend on what is most important to you. Touchwiz annoys some people more than others. If you are not annoyed by touchwiz, go with the Samsung tablets. Nexus will have far better support and will probably be faster and more stable under load though.

For phones, I personally would prefer the Nexus 5 over the Note 3 for the same reasons. Also because the nexus has a better camera (the Note 3 has awful low light, and even daylight pictures are not quite as good). My sister has a note 3 and loves it because the screen size and the stylus. But she doesn't like the camera. Samsung products have SD expansion though, and all their phones have removable batteries.

I like Samsung hardware generally (tends to be feature rich), but I don't like their case design, and I despise touchwiz. So I personally like nexus better for both phones and tablets.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Nexus all the way! stock Android is the best!

the simplicity and lack of bloatware makes you feel you have more control over your phone and you won't need to worry about lags or bugs because of touchwiz!

but that's MY opinion ofc lol

sent from my Moto G <3

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On the phone side of things... that's a tough question. The Note 3 is kind of the pinnacle as to how far you can take a phone from being a phone while keeping it a phone. It's fast, got a nice big screen, the S-Pen and all the cool stuff that can do. But they don't call it a phablet for nothing. But I think you answer your own question... If you going to piggy back a phone and a tablet, by get a phone that thinks its a tablet?

While I have one... I'd say go with the Nexus 5. It's a better phone... maybe not a better mobile device.... but it knows its a phone.

As for the tablet... honestly, its hard to go wrong with either one. Both are stellar tablets... the Samsung has fancier specs, but the N7 gets it done for a lot less money.

How about this. Get a Nexus 5 and use the money you saved to get the Tab Pro. :)

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I took a similar step as this. I went from an extremely outdated Galaxy Tab 2 to a much better Nexus 5. What I noticed is Nexus feels better. My tablet had all those Samsung features, but I never used them.

The only thing I miss is Samsung's pre-alarm, Smart Alarm. It's a great way to wake up!

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Counter question: why does it have to be one or the other? Why not a Samsung for one and a Nexus for the other?

Another user pointed out it would depend on how much you use the extra features. I never did, so it was wasted space on my old S3.

Edit: Something else that might factor in to account is if you are thinking of getting a wearable device. If you are looking at the Gear, then your phone choice is negated. You would have to get a Samsung.

From a Liquid Nexus 5