Google Snooping is just fine.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The thing is all search engines/browsers do it. Firefox, yahoo, IE, and I am sure Safari. So, yeah, not breaking news.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So what it sounds like is that they are going single sign-in on their iOS apps......

*GASP* THE HORROR!!!!!!

Wait... that's pretty much how it works on Android... so it is basically a bunch of derp.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
All major search engines track and store your searches, and sell that info to the highest bidder (advertiser).
The NSA (and your local district attorney next) has access to all of it, without paying for it, with or without the (secret) cooperation of the search engine in question.
If you want to do anonymous internet searches you need to use a VPN, Virtual Private Network, or a proxy browser, and one of the few search engines that don't register (they say) your IP address. Like Startpage.com or iXquick.com.

Doppelt gen?ht h?lt besser.

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, you're not safe on apple either. iCloud email Apple’s terms say that it “may, without liability to you, access… your Account information and Content… if we have a good faith belief that such access… is reasonably necessary to… protect the… property… of Apple,”
Of course most people don’t actually read the terms of service when they sign up for various email solutions, so these things can be a bit of a shock when they come to light.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Of course most people don’t actually read the terms of service when they sign up for various email solutions, so these things can be a bit of a shock when they come to light.

I think that is the heart of the matter.... Some online type throws up some clickbait and says "GOOGLE IS SELLING YOUR INFO TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER!!" and everyone freaks out and starts pulling their hair out. Of course, not only has Google been using your information all along, they're completely up front and open about it.... it is part of your ToS.... spelled out in black and white. So when people get up in arms about it, whatever, you clicked 'OK' and used their stuff.

It's like when people get their panties in a bunch when they read that Facebook is using your personal information for its own use. *Psst*.... if you put it on Facebook, it isn't all that personal anymore. When it comes to such things, I always try to remember one simple rule; "Don't put anything on Facebook that you don't want the entire world to see and read for the rest of time."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to such things, I always try to remember one simple rule; "Don't put anything on Facebook that you don't want the entire world to see and read for the rest of time."

Correction - don't out anything on the Internet That you don't want the world to see or read. :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess the problem is - even if you don't particularly appreciate the spying, what alternative do you have? Most people would be fairly entrenched in the Google ecosystem, switching would be a hassle, and there may not be any viable equivalents for services like Google Drive.

I guess it's just easier to rationalise after the fact. And that includes me as well. I keep telling myself I want to migrate over to iCloud email, but that actually seems like more hassle than it is worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38