Recommend Android Tablet - New Android User

adammg

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned a tablet or Android device, I've played around with Galaxy series of products before though. I've been an iOS user since 07, but want to try something a little different and honestly less expensive. Budget of under $250 I have been looking at a few different

LG GPad 8.3 or the upcoming Galaxy Tab 4 8.0

I prefer the larger screen and microSD

Mostly going to be using it for consuming media and casual gaming.

Reason I chose the Samsung is Multiwindow (ex. Youtube and Browswer) if its added to the Tab 4 even though the specs are lower than the LG

Any help would be appreciated

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm just underwhelmed with the selection of tablets running Android these days. The only one running near-stock Android that seems to have any movement toward Kitkat is the Nexus line, and for me the 7" is too small and the 10" is outdated. I would very much like to see a 10" tablet running KitKat that does NOT have a manufacturer skin. The 10" screen is important as I use mine for reading magazines while on cardio equipment at the gym.

As a point of clarification, I currently have an Acer A500. It's a 10" tablet running an nVidia Tegra 2, has a normal USB port (can connect a camera to copy pictures off the camera, a mouse, keyboard or a phone to keep the charge topped up), MicroSD slot. This tablet is on ICS and will go no further. It has a nearly-stock Android experience, with minimal additions by Acer and I very much like it like that.

adammg

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Hallux, Lots of choices out there, nothing standing out though. 10 is too big for me so I'm going to continue looking around at 8" range

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have never owned a tablet or Android device, I've played around with Galaxy series of products before though. I've been an iOS user since 07, but want to try something a little different and honestly less expensive. Budget of under $250 I have been looking at a few different

LG GPad 8.3 or the upcoming Galaxy Tab 4 8.0

I prefer the larger screen and microSD

Mostly going to be using it for consuming media and casual gaming.

Reason I chose the Samsung is Multiwindow (ex. Youtube and Browswer) if its added to the Tab 4 even though the specs are lower than the LG

Any help would be appreciated

The Nexus 7 is budget-friendly, runs stock Android (which is great for updates and generally good for performance, but not as great for features that may only be preset in manufacturer overlays such as Multi Window and TouchWiz), and has a high-res display. Check out the AC review of the G Pad 8.3, and the Google Play Edition G Pad might also be worth a look. The Tab 4 8.0 has a display that will likely be noticeably lower in detail, and if you plan to take any photos it's worth noting that its camera lacks autofocus.

Honestly, I'm just underwhelmed with the selection of tablets running Android these days. The only one running near-stock Android that seems to have any movement toward Kitkat is the Nexus line, and for me the 7" is too small and the 10" is outdated. I would very much like to see a 10" tablet running KitKat that does NOT have a manufacturer skin. The 10" screen is important as I use mine for reading magazines while on cardio equipment at the gym.

As a point of clarification, I currently have an Acer A500. It's a 10" tablet running an nVidia Tegra 2, has a normal USB port (can connect a camera to copy pictures off the camera, a mouse, keyboard or a phone to keep the charge topped up), MicroSD slot. This tablet is on ICS and will go no further. It has a nearly-stock Android experience, with minimal additions by Acer and I very much like it like that.

I'm right with you on wanting an updated, clean 10" tablet with stock Android. Have you looked into running a custom ROM on the A500? I know they've made it up to 4.4.2.

adammg

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: Sorry to resurrect this old thread, I waited on the Tab4 to release and ended up buying a Nexus 7 for $179 at Staples. Currently waiting on it to charge up for the first time.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I like my nexus 7, but mine seems to have touch input problems. Like, when I'm playing games it won't register my touches. Also in apps too.