Restore question for LG Venice

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi have a LG Venice with Boost. It is running SO SLOW that it's driving me crazy. It can take a full minute for the dial-er to come up to make a call or send a text message. And the battery is completely dead in a matter of hours I have to charge it a couple of times a day. I'm thinking that if I do a factory restore on it, it might help. Oh and it's only about 9 month old if that. BUT I don't want to loose everything (ok game progress lol). I've already linked my contacts with Google so I'm not worried about that and I can easily re-install my apps but will I loose the progress on my games as well. There's only one that I'm really worried about (Marvel Puzzle Quest).

OR Should I move everything to my SD card??? My storage says I have 489 mb available of 1.97gb and I have a 30gb sd card with 26gb available. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Or does anyone have any tips to help. It says its running Android v 4.1.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main problem is probably that the phone only has 768 MB of RAM, according to the specs. These days, that isn't much. Most phones have at least 1 GB, and all flagships have at least 2 GB. Lower RAM means fewer apps that can stay open in memory, which means slower and less efficient app switching and functioning. If you play a lot of games (especially if they're big games), that will probably contribute to slow performance, since the system likely has to close other apps on its own in order to accommodate the game, and once the game is done, it then has to reopen other apps to occupy RAM again. This can also contribute to battery drain (which is why routinely using task killers is not recommended).

Moving things to the SD card probably won't help performance, and besides, you can only move a portion of an app there. It might help to Uninstall or Disable any app you don't need, because that will prevent the system from trying to open those apps, thereby taking up RAM. Disabling is for apps that are preinstalled (bloatware). Go to Settings>Apps>All, and select an app you never use. If it's bloatware, you'll see a Disable button. You might have to Uninstall Updates from that app first.

Be careful about what you Disable, though. Certain system apps might seem innocuous, but are important for normal functioning. One common mistake is to Disable the Download Manager, which then prevents you from downloading and installing any apps.

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Is there a thread that maybe has a list of bloatware that is safe to uninstall/disable? I'm always afraid I'm going to uninstall something that the phone really needs. And what about cache should I be clearing that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Clearing app caches can sometimes help temporarily, but through the normal operation of those apps, the caches will build up again fairly quickly. Some people routinely clear the app caches, so that's something you could make a habit of--it shouldn't cause any problems.

Bloatware lists always vary depending on the device. You could either list the ones you're not sure of here, or show us some screenshots, and see what opinions you get.

apebull

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Here's a list of apps that I have no idea what they do or if I need them:

AAT
Android keyboard (assuming its the keyboard)
Boost Icon Pack
Boost Zone
Bubbles
Calendar Storage (how is this different then the calendar)
a whole bunch of com.android.stuff I'm assuming I need all of those.
connections optimizer
DRM protected Content Storage
DRM Service
Face Unlock
Font Server
A whole life of Google stuff
Key Chain
LG keyboard
LGInstall Service
LG system Server
Live Wallpaper picker
Lock Screen settings
market Feedback Agent
Media Storage
Mobile ID
Picasa uploader
preferred activity setter
QSlide framework
Search Application Provider
Sercvice Prgramu
Shutdown Monitor
SIM toolkit
Smart Device Manager
SmartShare
Sprint Android Requirements
Sprint Installer
System BackusServce
Talk
Talkback
Voice recorder
VPNDialogs
Wiper App

Thanks for the help :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android and LG keyboard: Disable the one you never use. If you use a different 3rd party keyboard like Swiftkey, then disable both.
Boost Zone & Icon Pack: This is presumably some bloatware from Boost. You can probably disable it, but open it and see what it's all about.
Bubbles: A live wallpaper. Ok to disable.
Face Unlock: If you don't use this feature, disable it.
Google stuff: You could disable most Google Play stuff if you don't use it. But leave Google Play Services alone.
Talk: I think this is what Hangouts used to be. If you never use Hangouts, you can disable this.
Talkback: Disable.

I'd leave everything else alone.