Moving off WP 8.1

Koato8

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I have been considering a move from WindowsPhone to Android. I just want to try a different platform but there are a few things I was wondering about android, and one potential problem that might send me over to iOS.

First I use mostly Microsoft services(except for maps) and am happy with that. How well would they integrate into android? I see the outlook.com app has a very low rating in the play store..

The devices I'm considering are the HTC 1 m8, and the Moto X, though I am open to other choices. I'd rather have a smaller phone but the HTC is pretty nice.

The one thing that has kept me away from Android is something that WP and iOS have. If I drop/break my phone, I can walk into an Apple or Microsoft store and get a new phone on the spot(Yeah, I would have to pay extra for the coverage but to me it's worth it.) Is there any retailer that offers a similar service?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I have been considering a move from WindowsPhone to Android. I just want to try a different platform but there are a few things I was wondering about android, and one potential problem that might send me over to iOS.

First I use mostly Microsoft services(except for maps) and am happy with that. How well would they integrate into android? I see the outlook.com app has a very low rating in the play store..

The devices I'm considering are the HTC 1 m8, and the Moto X, though I am open to other choices. I'd rather have a smaller phone but the HTC is pretty nice.

The one thing that has kept me away from Android is something that WP and iOS have. If I drop/break my phone, I can walk into an Apple or Microsoft store and get a new phone on the spot(Yeah, I would have to pay extra for the coverage but to me it's worth it.) Is there any retailer that offers a similar service?

First of all welcome to the Android side of the pond! You will enjoy it for sure. but here is my opinion! :)

Get the Moto G! Here is why...

1) Its CHEAP! LTE version is only $232.34 - We just got one! Plus you can make sure you like Android before fully jumping in.

2) It has a smaller screen like you want without sacrificing the quality.

3) The battery is awesome.

4) Its close to stock.

5) Its has none of that crapware the carriers the give you!

6) Its unlocked so it will work on any GSM carrier.

So there are a few reasons why I might take a look at the Moto G. Its super snappy and responsive! The girlfriend loves hers.

Good luck with whatever device you end up with!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
While the Moto G is an inexpensive device, and many people like it, it is missing features that the X has that just make the extra money spent worth it. I had an X while on Sprint, and an M8 now. If I had to choose for you, I would say the X. Near stock, screen size is the same, and the always listening feature with active notifications is a combo that is a good pairing.

However, the M8 is no slouch either. You can't go wrong with either device.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have an M8 and use all my Microsoft services and have no issues. I have used the stock email app and the outlook app both work well for me. As far as exchanging the phone I can only comment about Canadian carrier's they all have their own different kinds of insurance policies.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you buy a phone from a carrier, you can always go to a carrier store for anything and I would recommend the Moto X over there M8 of you value smaller devices.

Posted via Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
While the Moto G is an inexpensive device, and many people like it, it is missing features that the X has that just make the extra money spent worth it. I had an X while on Sprint, and an M8 now. If I had to choose for you, I would say the X. Near stock, screen size is the same, and the always listening feature with active notifications is a combo that is a good pairing.

However, the M8 is no slouch either. You can't go wrong with either device.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

That is a great point as well. However Golfdriver wouldn't you agree if the X is something you want would you recommend to wait for the new version? It's rumored to be coming out sometime in Sept. (Granted its a rumor!) By then the older X will become cheaper and the new Moto X might go up a little bit in price. Guess it depends on how you wanna gamble!

Either way great points my friend! I was just giving a simple over view of the G. :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is a great point as well. However Golfdriver wouldn't you agree if the X is something you want would you recommend to wait for the new version? It's rumored to be coming out sometime in Sept. (Granted its a rumor!) By then the older X will become cheaper and the new Moto X might go up a little bit in price. Guess it depends on how you wanna gamble!

Either way great points my friend! I was just giving a simple over view of the G. :)

In this case, no for a couple reasons. 1. The OP said he wanted a smaller phone. To go by the rumors, the new X will be a little bigger, closer to the physical size of the One. 2. Until more specifics come out for any device, I typically hold back on suggesting anything rumored.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: If you get your device from Best Buy, their insurance plan covers everything except loss. That may be an option, although I have never had to use them, and I have heard both good and bad issues about that service.