What's the best thing to use to hear music from my S5 in my almost 10 year old SUV?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I may venture to try one at some point, but I heard that the FCC required them to lower transmission power years ago, which made them easy to be drowned out and such. I think I'd still prefer a modulator that ties in because you're assured full signal quality. The one I tried would kill reception from the antenna. So even if you got to an area with an FM station on the same frequency, it wasn't an issue because the modulator blocked it. The downside is you had to switch the modulator off (or rely on slightly delayed auto shutoff) to listen to FM again. That wasn't a concern for me since I don't listen to terrestrial radio anymore anyway.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I may venture to try one at some point, but I heard that the FCC required them to lower transmission power years ago, which made them easy to be drowned out and such. I think I'd still prefer a modulator that ties in because you're assured full signal quality. The one I tried would kill reception from the antenna. So even if you got to an area with an FM station on the same frequency, it wasn't an issue because the modulator blocked it. The downside is you had to switch the modulator off (or rely on slightly delayed auto shutoff) to listen to FM again. That wasn't a concern for me since I don't listen to terrestrial radio anymore anyway.
The one I just bought is significantly more powerful than the previous 3 I have owned...so if the FCC is forcing them to reduce power, either they are ignoring the FCC or it is not having an effect on performance. The newest one I am using is the first one I have ever used that I would say approximates native bluetooth.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. So just put that somewhere in my car like front center by the window, turn the thing on then go to my S5 and do all that stuff and it should play music on my phone? How is the audio quality? I never used any type of bluetooth device before. Also what do the rest of you think about that speaker?

I picked up one of these for my Kitchen . Sounds great . Sound Blaster Roar - Incredibly powerful, compact, portable Bluetooth wireless speaker, 5 drivers, built-in Kickass Subwoofer - Creative Labs

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The head unit option would give you the best quality but is obviously the most difficult to implement.

A cassette adapter or FM transmitter are the easiest solutions. They have the same potential audio quality but you run into fewer interference issues with a cassette adapter.

A bluetooth speaker (or even a portable speaker with an aux in) would give you better quality in terms of the audio signal but you drop from your car speakers to a smaller speaker. My personal recommendation would be the UE Mini Boom. It has great sound quality for the size/price and is small enough to fit in your glovebox easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wire...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3816253

The volume is high enough that I can't turn it up all the way at pool parties, so you'd be fine in your car.
I second the recommendation for this speaker. I just bought one for my wife to replace her old portable speaker. The speaker is small but has great sound. Plenty of volume for a car.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
In order for me to listen to music off my phone in my 13 yr old SUV i had to replace the deck with something that had bluetooth as well as usb and input ports. I ended up with a double din JVC KW 500 that fit perfectly in the space left by the OE head unit.

I get better quality using a 80g ipod using usb then i do using a belkin bluetooth adapter.

spiraleze

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I installed an auxiliary input to my stock radio on my 2004 Dodge Dakota. It plugs in the rear of the radio unit and gives me a 3.5mm input jack to plug in my phone. The nice thing is that it plays through the trucks audio unit and is controlled (volume, etc.) from the radio also.
I would check and see if your SUV radio would support something like this.

Chrysler radio auxiliary input adapter pie chry02-aux 300m pt cruiser

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45