My Quest for a Decent Small Android Phone

Thrutian

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I'd go for the Moto X. It's not that hard to keep a phone off the ground. But that's just me.
I don't see why you'd want an ugly phone that has barely any support just because it's tough. Meh.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I chose the Brigadier because of the toughness, but should I really reconsider? My not so important concern is I may never see Android L on the Brigadier.

How often do you swap out phones? Are you going to be stuck on a 2 year cycle or are you the type to bounce phones in a year or less? If you are going to hold the bloody thing for a couple of years..... The Moto X might be a better choice as you'll at least have a bigger custom dev community to keep your phone up to date after Verizon kicks it to the curb.

But if you are only going to keep it around a year... being stuck on KK wouldn't be so bad.... well, scratch that... once L finally comes out it might be a huge barrel of awesomesauce and no one will want to stay on KK. I searched around a bit and there's not a lot of history there with Kyocera as far as how timely they are on updates.... so that's a huge unknown.

But I will say this, the more popular the phone, the better chance that it'll stay up to date... official or not.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the Moto X. It's not that hard to keep a phone off the ground. But that's just me.
I don't see why you'd want an ugly phone that has barely any support just because it's tough. Meh.
I broke my Moto X in my home coincidentally, the one place where you don't keep a case on your phone. I dropped my phone on the floor on a corner and it slid all the way across my kitchen floor.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How often do you swap out phones? Are you going to be stuck on a 2 year cycle or are you the type to bounce phones in a year or less? If you are going to hold the bloody thing for a couple of years..... The Moto X might be a better choice as you'll at least have a bigger custom dev community to keep your phone up to date after Verizon kicks it to the curb.

But if you are only going to keep it around a year... being stuck on KK wouldn't be so bad.... well, scratch that... once L finally comes out it might be a huge barrel of awesomesauce and no one will want to stay on KK. I searched around a bit and there's not a lot of history there with Kyocera as far as how timely they are on updates.... so that's a huge unknown.

But I will say this, the more popular the phone, the better chance that it'll stay up to date... official or not.
I change phones once a year. I spent the first 4 months of this year on a Moto X and since April I have been using a RAZR M. But because of the RAM limitations it has been hurting doing multiple things at once. I web browse a lot and very single tab has to reload when I leave it or when I multitask an app has to reload upon entering it again if I have multiple apps open.

If this phone had 2GB of RAM I wouldn't complain, but it gets annoying after a while. It also sucks when I hit home at times (using GNL) and the entire home screen has to repopulate with all my apps and widgets.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I change phones once a year..

So that lessens the worry about the update speed a little... L comes out around Halloween, so most phones might not even it until winter.

Ignoring updates, which, between the Kyocera and Moto would you want? I know the ruggedness of the former is a reaction to the destruction of the latter... But would you be disappointed with another X? Get a case.

Ok...I know you started the thread by announcing you finally made up your mind, but hey, there's nothing wrong with being deliberate.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So that lessens the worry about the update speed a little... L comes out around Halloween, so most phones might not even it until winter.

Ignoring updates, which, between the Kyocera and Moto would you want? I know the ruggedness of the former is a reaction to the destruction of the latter... But would you be disappointed with another X? Get a case.

Ok...I know you started the thread by announcing you finally made up your mind, but hey, there's nothing wrong with being deliberate.
Maybe I can get another X. But I will say this, I only broke the phone because the one time I go without a case (in my home), is the one time I ended up breaking my phone. I could try again, but I would for sure have to get an Otterbox.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
But I will say this, I only broke the phone because the one time I go without a case (in my home), is the one time I ended up breaking my phone. I could try again, but I would for sure have to get an Otterbox.

That's always the case (no pun intended). "Oh... I don't need to keep it in a case today, I'm sure it'll be fine!" *Crunch*

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's always the case (no pun intended). "Oh... I don't need to keep it in a case today, I'm sure it'll be fine!" *Crunch*

Well, then, it is settled, I will get another Moto X. I am getting y school refund check soon so I can squeeze the Moto X and possibly a Nexus 7 too out of it.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, then, it is settled, I will get another Moto X. I am getting y school refund check soon so I can squeeze the Moto X and possibly a Nexus 7 too out of it.

Good for you! Have fun and enjoy it.

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've dropped my note 2 from 3-4 feet up flat on its face. No case to protect it, a small crack has appeared. Half if not 90% of all iphones I see are cracked screens. I'm not saying android has better screens but sapphire screens don't seem that great.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped my note 2 from 3-4 feet up flat on its face. No case to protect it, a small crack has appeared. Half if not 90% of all iphones I see are cracked screens. I'm not saying android has better screens but sapphire screens don't seem that great.

iPhones don't have them yet.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Where did you see an iPhone 6?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You could get a Motorola Luge too.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)