iPhone 5c replacement

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone thanks for all the help. It looks like most people go for moto x 2014, htc or nexus. So i am assuming to stay away from the LG G3
The G3 is probably the best phone on the market right now hardware-wise. But it is bogged down by their skin, so it lags. But it has an amazing display, a fast CPU, and probably the best camera on Android.

The main reason is i a just want to switch from apple. I believe that cost of what i am getting is not worth it anymore. Plus i cracked the screen. As far as the ecosystem goes my purchased apps i don't really care about and i am looking at a way hopefully to move my purchased movies so i can watch them on android i found a few sites showing tutorials on this but haven't tried it yet
If you are coming from Apple I'd strongly recommend going to a Nexus first.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
-The Android software isn't as clean as iOS in my opinion. It feels like a lot of junk. iOS just worked and was easier to use.

As others have pointed out, the M8 does not use pure Android. You say it "feels like a lot of junk" because HTC fills it with a lot of junk. A lot of us make a point to avoid phones that are NOT either a Nexus or a Motorola simply because all the other manufacturers fill their phones with garbage.

A more fair comparison would be pure Android--a Nexus or perhaps a Motorola--versus iOS.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The above information is correct...what you are seeing is Android with HTC modifications (aka, Skins). I have never seen a skin that is better than Vanilla Android. They are always slower. Even the Moto X has a skin, it's just a really light one. Most Non-nexus phones sold in the US have a skin of some kind.

Try a Nexus 5. That is what real Android looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8snnLpEDE

I didn't watch the entire video but, I would assume ART would make a huge difference in this regard.

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you believe the nexus is still worth getting at this time of the year?
Will the motorola 2014 whenever it will be available for preorder in canada will it be worth it in your opinions even if am reading some battery issues
Also for the htc one m8 or any other device can you put stock android on it instead of using sense i was look at roms and stuff and tutorials and it doesnt look to complicate to root and i really dont mind tinkering

thanks again in advance for your opinions and suggestions

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if you can find it. The new Nexus will be bigger (which not everyone will like) and will not even be out till November probably. It will also certainly be more expensive.

The current Nexus is still comparable to all the high end phones, and better in some ways. It has a better camera than the M8 and GS5. It has wireless charging. And it has a faster UI than anything released so far for Android.

Will the motorola 2014 whenever it will be available for preorder in canada will it be worth it in your opinions even if am reading some battery issues
I personally am not impressed with the camera. And it has no wireless charging. If you don't care about those things, it's a great phone.

Also for the htc one m8 or any other device can you put stock android on it instead of using sense
Yes. But it is involved, and there are risks.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Also for the htc one m8 or any other device can you put stock android on it instead of using sense i was look at roms and stuff and tutorials and it doesnt look to complicate to root and i really dont mind tinkering

thanks again in advance for your opinions and suggestions

Yes, Nexus 5 even though it's a 2013 flagship, can still be held in regard to 2014 flagships. Although the snapdragon 801 is marginally superior than the 800, it's mostly the GPU. Plus you also have Google's blessing when it comes to updates ;)

ecjd

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
As others have pointed out, the M8 does not use pure Android. You say it "feels like a lot of junk" because HTC fills it with a lot of junk. A lot of us make a point to avoid phones that are NOT either a Nexus or a Motorola simply because all the other manufacturers fill their phones with garbage.

A more fair comparison would be pure Android--a Nexus or perhaps a Motorola--versus iOS.

I said in my opinion. Because I have used pure Android before, and I have used Sense 6.0. Not accounting for the bloatware, I was speaking more about the design. iOS feels cleaner to me, in my opinon.

honkey haze

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi All

I have everything apple pretty much except for a PC. But want to change to android since i just dont see a reason to spend the money for the new iphone 6. I know this topic is probably every day but can anyone give me an suggestions on a phone that could easily last me 1-2 years. I was looking at the nexus 5 and lg g3 but i am open to anything.

Thanks in advance and i know its a side topic but any recommendation on a chromebook would be appreciated.

as someone who has owned apple, moto, samsung, and lg.... i recommend moto. they go with the idea of it being a phone first, where the other android oems go with it being a phone second or third.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I said in my opinion. Because I have used pure Android before, and I have used Sense 6.0. Not accounting for the bloatware, I was speaking more about the design. iOS feels cleaner to me, in my opinon.
HTC is not using real Android design. It is using HTC design. Thats part of the skin. You are comparing the iPhone to HTC, not to Android.

If you have not used a Nexus, you have not experience real Android yet.

ecjd

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
HTC is not using real Android design. It is using HTC design. Thats part of the skin. You are comparing the iPhone to HTC, not to Android.

If you have not used a Nexus, you have not experience real Android yet.

I said in my post: I have used pure Android.

I was comparing iPhone to Sense AND to pure Android. Again, I have used both and I know the difference.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I said in my post: I have used pure Android.

I was comparing iPhone to Sense AND to pure Android. Again, I have used both and I know the difference.

It's simpler, not cleaner. The lack of a persistent back button or dedicated multi-task button is a good example. On my friend's iPhone I was annoyed at having to sometimes hit the home button to "back out" of an app...it ended up adding steps to the process that didn't need to be added.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's simpler, not cleaner.

Yes... simpler is a much better term. Though, to me, that isn't a positive. iOS is too simple.... in an attempt to make it totally accessible, Apple cut out several functions that make life easier, not harder.

Never did get the whole "it's cleaner" argument.... KitKat on the Nexus 5 is about as efficient as you'll find, from the Google Now Launcher, notifications, quick settings tiles, recents, main settings, lockscreen, etc...and even the whole UI style.... it no fluff or wasted movement... it is a clean canvas on which users can do what they please. Keep it stock... or load a custom launcher, themes and every Xposed module you can get your hands on.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I never said it wasn't your opinion.

In your initial post--the one to which I responded--you compared iOS to HTC and then went on to say that iOS was cleaner than Android. I was pointing out that such a comparison is not quite valid because by comparing HTC to iOS, you're not really comparing Android to iOS. You were comparing HTC to iOS.

Sure, you said your opinion is that iOS is cleaner. Okay. That's fine. I never suggested otherwise.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It's simpler, not cleaner. The lack of a persistent back button or dedicated multi-task button is a good example. On my friend's iPhone I was annoyed at having to sometimes hit the home button to "back out" of an app...it ended up adding steps to the process that didn't need to be added.
Switching apps:

Android: hit multitasking button, swipe up/down to wanted app, click app

IOS: double click home button, swipe left/right to home screen with right icon, click app

Not sure how there are more steps for you...

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Switching apps:

IOS: double click home button, swipe left/right to home screen with right icon, click app

If I want to go to the previous screen on Android (even if it's a different app), I just hit the back button.

If I want to go to the previous screen on iOS, I have to double click home button, swipe left/right to home screen with right icon, then click the app

1 Step vs 4.

Bonus: I can queue back button taps on Android...hitting it 4 times takes me back 4 screens. No screen change needed.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Switching apps:

always felt like the cards apple uses it very very similar to what the Palm pre had. I'm surprised Palm, or should I say HP, hasn't sued apple for it. Heck even gingerbread had the cards feature. I remmeber if you press and held the main menu key on gingerbread it showed you all the cards that were avaliable.

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Go for a Xiaomi Mi4, it looks as good as an iPhone and has great specs. If you're coming from Apple, it doesn't cost much at all, I saw it on estnext for about 400 USD. I've played around with one, a nifty little thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty