Does anyone make a phone with a screen under 5 inches?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
It seems like you can't find a phone with a "normal" size screen anymore! Forgive my rant, but it's like the phone makers think everyone is blind and we all want tablet sized screens for our phones these days. I've had the Nexus 4 for 2 years this month. I really like the 4.7 inch screen my phone has. I've been thinking about upgrading finally but I've noticed all the phones out there are 5.2 - 6 inches! I'd be willing to go up to 4.9 inches, that's about it. To me personally, anything 5 inches or bigger isn't practical. It wouldn't fit in my pocket or on my waist comfortably like my Nexus 4 does. And I have good eyesight so I don't need a huge screen. I just don't get the trend of bigger screens now. I thought that wasn't popular just a few years ago??

I would appreciate any input. I am currently on AT&T but thinking about jumping ship for Verizon. I've had horrible service lately with AT&T in my area. Lots of dropped calls, fail to connect a call, caller can hear me but I can't hear them, service drop outs on voice and data... that sort of thing.

Thank you AC friends!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a Samsung Precedent - 3.2". As my cataracts got worse and worse, the phone became useless, so I went to a Note 3. What a difference. Then I got my eyes fixed and that 3.2" screen is pretty comfortable to read.

The population is aging (with medicine the way it was 50 years ago, I'd have been dead 18 years ago, at least), and older people have failing eyesight (and more money), so I guess the manufacturers are catering to that. Although I still carry my Note 3, in an Otterbox Defender which makes it even larger, on my belt. It barely fits in my shirt pocket, but if I lean over carelessly it's going to get pavement burn. And if I put it into my pants pocket I'd have to put a hinge on it first. I'd like to go back to a Note-type phone (I love the S-Pen and use it constantly), but in a 4" screen so I could keep it in my pants pocket.

That said, take the phone to your nearest AT&T Device Support Center (ask at your local store where the nearest one is) and see what they say. If they're upgrading the tower, the backhaul or anything else in the system, you might have bad service for a short time. If not, first make sure that Verizon gives you coverage everywhere you need coverage. If your office is a dead spot, you'll have to walk down the hall every time you want to make a call. (Dead spots can be as small as a foot or two, or as large as a town.) If you're month to month on AT&T, and TMobile covers where you need (and you can put up with low data speeds - fast enough for email, not fast enough for streaming movies), have AT&T unlock the phone and you can bring your own device to TMobile at a savings (and no larger screen).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm....perhaps I'm missing something here but there are in fact many Android phones with screens less than 5", from simpler-spec to high-spec. On the other hand I'm in the UK, where perhaps the choice of small devices is greater....and perhaps also you're referring to devices available from your carrier?

Last edited:

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the input. I actually looked at phones from my current provider AT&T and also Verizon, which I'm thinking of going too. All of their phones seemed to be larger than 5 inches. T-Mobile and Sprint aren't good in my area with coverage. So I'm kind of already ruling them out. I'm going to go to different stores and look at phones again.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm....perhaps I'm missing something here but there are in fact many Android phones with screens less than 5", from simpler-spec to high-spec. On the other hand I'm in the UK, where perhaps the choice of small devices is greater....and perhaps also you're referring to devices available from your carrier?

Really? What high spec sub 5" phones are out there now? The Z3 Mini, I can't think of any others.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It seems like you can't find a phone with a "normal" size screen anymore! Forgive my rant, but it's like the phone makers think everyone is blind and we all want tablet sized screens for our phones these days.

Love the rant, there HAS to be a substantial market for "smaller" phones. I have the GS3 with a 4.8" screen and the only time I like it is when it's mounted on my dash for navigation, otherwise I'd actually like it a bit smaller, it's not a true one handed phone. I've sort of given up...I'm defeated, conquered. The Z3compact is not available with Verizon unfortunately so now I'm looking to the new HTC since it'll be the smallest of the new flagships this year at 5".

It's all about the user though, I don't like social media (Facebook, instagram, etc) so I don't have my head buried into that phone 24-7 like most do. I don't watch movies on it, that's why I bought a TV, and I don't play games on it so my needs for a big phone are less than many. But perusing these forums quite a bit there's obviously a market for a smaller phone.

I might even check into an iPhone 6 for kicks, it's 4.7" but I'd rather have something that plays nice in the sandbox with Google.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to keep looking. I went into Best Buy yesterday because they have phones for all providers right there. I checked and there's only a few phones with screens less than 5 inches but they are on Sprint. I won't go to Sprint. I'm going to find the closest Verizon corporate store and check that out. I also found out if I upgrade my phone with AT&T I'll lose my current discount I'm getting through my employer. What's up with that? That's even more fuel for me to leave for Verizon!

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Moto X 1st gen and Xperia Z3 compact are good options.And well there's always iPhone 5S as well. Not to mention some very good Windows Phones like Lumia 735.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Moto X 1st gen and Xperia Z3 compact are good options.And well there's always iPhone 5S as well. Not to mention some very good Windows Phones like Lumia 735.

Sorry I should have mentioned "New" phones. Moto X 1st gen is old. I looked and the Xperia Z3 compact looks nice but isn't available on AT&T or Verizon. And iPhone or Windows? Yuck, no way. Android only. Thanks for the continued suggestions as it really does help.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Moto X first gen may be "old" but it still performs well. Could also consider the Moto E or Moto G, there are new versions of those out.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It seems like you can't find a phone with a "normal" size screen anymore! Forgive my rant, but it's like the phone makers think everyone is blind and we all want tablet sized screens for our phones these days. I've had the Nexus 4 for 2 years this month. I really like the 4.7 inch screen my phone has. I've been thinking about upgrading finally but I've noticed all the phones out there are 5.2 - 6 inches! I'd be willing to go up to 4.9 inches, that's about it. To me personally, anything 5 inches or bigger isn't practical. It wouldn't fit in my pocket or on my waist comfortably like my Nexus 4 does. And I have good eyesight so I don't need a huge screen. I just don't get the trend of bigger screens now. I thought that wasn't popular just a few years ago??

I would appreciate any input. I am currently on AT&T but thinking about jumping ship for Verizon. I've had horrible service lately with AT&T in my area. Lots of dropped calls, fail to connect a call, caller can hear me but I can't hear them, service drop outs on voice and data... that sort of thing.

Thank you AC friends!

Sony Xperia Z3 Mini, 2013 Moto X, or the iPhone 6.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya op. I'm hoping this year is the return of the practical size smartphone...at least a 5 inch high-end option on Verizon. This is one of the reasons I opted not to upgrade last year and am still using my 2 plus year old Razr Maxx HD.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Once you use a large phone for a few weeks. It not bad at all. I really hated that the Nexus come so big also. But I have to say it feels normal now.lol. Sounds a bit crazy I know! But really it's like going from a small car to a big one. Then you'll look back and realize it was a great pic. Just a thought.

Posted via the Android Central App

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Once you use a large phone for a few weeks. It not bad at all. I really hated that the Nexus come so big also. But I have to say it feels normal now.lol. Sounds a bit crazy I know! But really it's like going from a small car to a big one. Then you'll look back and realize it was a great pic. Just a thought.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah, I can understand that for some people. The way I use a phone, there is no benefit to adding another half inch of screen real estate. I don't use my phone as a media consumption device..other than for music and very occasionally check the web or youtube. Plus, I exercise with my phone (running, etc.) and need to be able to grip it and change songs or whatever on the fly.