Do you use screen protectors?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Do you use screen protectors on your devices? Today's phones are made with scratch-resistant screens, but still...

I also have a question. If a phone does not have a front screen protector, but only a flip cover, and is not held in a pocket with other stuff but only by itself, can some random dust from the air scratch the screen, or it is safe? Thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I do, but because I live near the beach and sand is one of the main culprits for tiny, unwanted scratches. Usually, if you don't abuse your phone, you can go on without a screen protector (I use a cheap one, too, not one of those bullet-proof expensive ones), and while 'normal' conditions like dust from the air wouldn't cause scratches, accidental stuff like the edge of a metal button or rivet on your jeans when pulling the phone out of the pocket, big sand grains being dragged across the screen with your fingers (salt is also common, believe it or not!) or a simple fall can leave the screen with barely visible, but highly annoying scuffs and scratches. You can get very cheap thin films (I got mine, 5 films for the Note 4, for 1 buck on Amazon) to just add that layer of 'I'd rather have this cheap thing scratched than my phone's screen'.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I ALWAYS have a screen protector on all of my devices. Screen protectors are cheap and there is no reason to take an unnecessary chance of scratching your screen.

osallent

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I use a screen protector because you never know what random grain of sand could be lurking in one's pocket waiting to make a nasty scratch on the display.

Post made possible by Sony Xperia Z3 via the Android Central App

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I always have a screen protector on my devices. I like to keep them looking new for when I resell them later down the line.

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes screen protector. Having half fascination and half contempt for the phone, I'm guarding against the contempt times where I'm not very nice with it. Good protection IMO.

CBreen28

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Case: YES Screen Protector: NO
I use a case, the otterbox symmetey, but hate screen protectors. I dropped my S3 honestly probably 100 times and multiple ways, sometimes even display down on tarmac and never had a scratch on it. Literally the next time I dropped it though after taking my case off the screen cracked. The way some cases are designed, they extend beyond the display a couple mm preventing your screen from ever touching the surface.

Posted via the Android Central App

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I always used screen protectors on my old phones because they didn't have a scratch resistant screen but my current phone has a Gorilla Glass 3 display so i haven't used a screen protector this time. However i get the feeling some very light and fine scratches are starting to develop on the screen and I'm a bit concerned. I never drop my phone or handle it roughly. So maybe its better to use screen protectors even if one has a scratch resistant screen i guess because its scratch resistant not scratch proof.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No screen protector on my last 2 phones. Why put a cheap film of plastic on top of high end engineered scratch resistant glass (that was probably a feature used in considering which phone to get)

If the new Samsung phone came with cheap glass screens you would probably never buy it. But despite all the money they put into glass technology people still keep the screen protector companies in business

I trust my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
What if you used a folio case on your phone? Would you then feel you needed a screen protector? And what about plastic versus tempered glass? I did think that, even with a folio case, a tempered glass screen protector might be a good added protection if the phone were dropped.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I ALWAYS have a screen protector on all of my devices. Screen protectors are cheap and there is no reason to take an unnecessary chance of scratching your screen.
This.

Gorilla glass is only scratch resistant, not scratch proof by any means. A piece of sand or grit in your pocket with your phone can ruin the phone's screen's day in a very big way.

from the✒ Note Pro 12.2 📒📡

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use one on my Note 2, tried one, but I hated how grainy and cloudy they would, or eventually look and not let my beautiful screen truly show. My note 2 is still in perfect condition (back up phone now). On the plastic protectors, the Spen would make dimple marks. Just my experience. I'm sure there are better ones than others.

When I got my Note 4 I happened to stumble upon the ZAGG booth at the CES show and they put the glass one on my phone for FREE! I love the extra layer of Glass as it shows my screen perfectly clear and stays that way. I too use the Spen for almost everything, so my fingers rarely touch the screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38