To Protect, or Not to Protect: That is the Question...

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I’m wondering if anyone here is using their Pixel 8 Pro without a screen protector and would be willing to share their experience.

I am pretty careful with my phones (at least as careful as I am with my prescription glasses) and seldom used a screen protector with any of my non-Google phones (including many BlackBerrys, Motorola’s, Samsung’s and a OnePlus – if I tried a screen protector, I took them off in pretty short order). I never had any major scratches and only a very few micro-scratches on any of my unprotected displays. However, when I moved to the Pixel 6 Pro, there were so many negative reviews and threads about scratched screens that I began using a screen protector and keeping it on regardless of how much it taunted me and dared me to take it off. The Pixel 8 Pro has also been subject to a lot of negative noise regarding the Victus 2 Gorilla Glass display.

I have nothing but disdain for the many screen protectors I have tried, both TPU and tempered glass, from well-known manufacturers and Chinese “alphabet soup named” companies, costly and cheap. It just seems like every single screen protector is a problem in one way or another – (pick your poison) bubbles, lifting, too small, too big, fingerprints, biometric issues, yellowing, too slippery, diminished functions, impossible installation, expensive as heck, etc.

I would really like to hear from someone who doesn’t have a habit of throwing their phone in their pocket with their keys and loose change every day, who doesn’t leave their phone on the kitchen floor for Fido to chew on and the kids to jump on, and who doesn’t drop it every other week after one too many beers – you know, someone who doesn’t have a boatload of money and treats their phone (and all it contains) like a significant investment.

So what say you? Have I been sold a bill of goods by people who don’t really treat their phones with much in the way of respect and then complain when they have an issue or do I need to continue to use a vile screen protector because Gorilla Glass Victus 2 is really just a step or two above Saran Wrap when it comes to scratch protection? TIA

Last edited:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, as a Samsung flagship user, I have tried and loathe most screen protection. Especially when it came to fitting curved screens. But I'm over it, I run cased, with nothing on the screens, and have for years, now. I carry the phone in the opposite pocket from my keys and change, right pocket for the phone, left for metals.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector. I'm pretty careful with my phones -- I make sure not to put it in a pocket that has anything potentially scratchworthy, and I never put it in my back pocket where I can accidentally sit on it. I always use a case though, and I have dropped phones in the past, but the screen has always survived these drops thanks to the case. (Well, there was one time I only used a skin on my Nexus 6P without a case, and it slid out of my front pocket while I was sitting on a chair, the phone hitting the concrete floor on a corner, causing the glass to crack there -- that taught me a lesson!)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using a screen protector either. From what I saw on the YouTube video from JerryRigEverything, I won't be exposing the screen to anything hard enough to scratch it. Screen protectors offer protection from scratches only, not cracks. I'll use a case but no screen protectors.

I put a film screen protector on my S22 Ultra, which peeled off in less than a month. I never used another screen protector, and there were no scratches when I traded it in upon arrival of my S24 Ultra. Therefore, I'll keep the screen protectors off my new device.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I was just about to post a similar question ... Recently I have been using my 8 Pro case-less around the house and love the feel of the phone case free. I have a tempered glass screen protector installed that hinders the case-less experience due to the sharp edges. Been contemplating removing the screen protector but have been nervous about the screen getting scratched... once I see a scratch it cannot be unseen LOL

I, like most on this site, pamper my phone and it's never carelessly tossed around or left in situations that'll cause it bodily harm. Even the pants I wear have a "tech pocket" so it's always tucked away all alone by itself when I'm out and about. My one concern is that I take advantage of the Flip to shhhh feature ... I'm kinda concerned about having the phone screen down unprotected often, it's like asking for trouble LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I was just about to post a similar question ... Recently I have been using my 8 Pro case-less around the house and love the feel of the phone case free. I have a tempered glass screen protector installed that hinders the case-less experience due to the sharp edges. Been contemplating removing the screen protector but have been nervous about the screen getting scratched... once I see a scratch it cannot be unseen LOL

I, like most on this site, pamper my phone and it's never carelessly tossed around or left in situations that'll cause it bodily harm. Even the pants I wear have a "tech pocket" so it's always tucked away all alone by itself when I'm out and about. My one concern is that I take advantage of the Flip to shhhh feature ... I'm kinda concerned about having the phone screen down unprotected often, it's like asking for trouble LOL.
I think the phone can go caseless without issue but those situations where I feel you have to be careful where you lay it and it will slide off a surface is something you need to decide...I'm using a film protector for the front screen to keep the micro scratches which would annoy me ...but you don't feel the edges like the glass if naked

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the phone can go caseless without issue but those situations where I feel you have to be careful where you lay it and it will slide off a surface is something you need to decide...I'm using a film protector for the front screen to keep the micro scratches which would annoy me ...but you don't feel the edges like the glass if naked
What film you using?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Case....yes, screen protector.... no. Most phones today are very slippery. For me, there's a very real risk of dropping it, thus a "grippy" thin case. Gorilla glass iterations do a great job protecting the screen from normal wear. Just don't put it in a pocket with anything else in it and take some care when pulling it out.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just peeled off my tempered glass screen protector. Man oh MAN ... Feels SOOO nice!!!

As I type this I'm rocking a total naked 8 Pro and it feels great! I really wish manufacturers would adopt a premium feeling plastic body (or some other durable material) instead of glass so the need for a case would be significantly reduced. Holding the phone case and screen protector free is just such a pleasure!

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
@YankInDaSouth I've been rocking this case which is the closest to keeping it as if naked ..but obviously you will love the naked feel better ..I think if you will be okay run with it ..I did for the longest with the Pixel Fold

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
It seems that user-installable screen protectors can be a problem. I added protectors on my old Nexus 5 and Pixel 5 phones and found the need to remove them within the first couple of weeks. I'd either catch a fingernail on the edge, or the screen just wasn't as responsive. The factory installed ones on my moto Razr+ and OnePlus Open are fine though.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Unless it was a really crappy one, I've almost never had issues with tempered glass, even 'alphabetsoup' brands. No bubbles, no dust, no lifting.

There are exceptions but they are niche, like the dumb@** curve on my S23 Ultra but again, that's niche.

Flat phones, 98% of the time I've never had an issue with screen protectors.

As for a case, ALWAYS, rugged.
Supcase Unicorn Beatles Pro (top 3 in CES drop test), Poetic Spartan if you don't care about the belt clip. Supcase does have slightly better build quality IMO.

Never take my phone nude. It's like driving a car that has tires with no tread. It will work, you'll probably be OK until your not.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector. I'm pretty careful with my phones -- I make sure not to put it in a pocket that has anything potentially scratchworthy, and I never put it in my back pocket where I can accidentally sit on it. I always use a case though, and I have dropped phones in the past, but the screen has always survived these drops thanks to the case. (Well, there was one time I only used a skin on my Nexus 6P without a case, and it slid out of my front pocket while I was sitting on a chair, the phone hitting the concrete floor on a corner, causing the glass to crack there -- that taught me a lesson!)
last phone I cracked was a Nexus 4 and I did it the same way you did...only my floor in question was tile. and only the back shattered. never again.

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Okay, I understand why the fingerprint reader would work better with the "made in China" tempered glass screen protector removed (and yes, I had "screen protector mode" on before I removed it), but I am baffled as to why face unlock works so much better with it off when there was a hole cut for the front camera. 🤔 Amazingly, it is like night and day for both biometrics.

Last edited: