To Protect, or Not to Protect: That is the Question...

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Welp, my screen has micro scratches up the wazoo! LOL Oh well

Ouch! You mean from the time you peeled it off on Feb. 25th to now (11 days)?

That's correct.
Sorry to hear that. I took my screen protector off the same day that you did and, although my screen seems to be okay so far, your outcome concerns me a bit. Would you be willing to share how you feel you handled your phone in those 11 days? Extremely careful? Pretty careful? Somewhat careful? Hey, it's a phone, not a newborn baby?

Did you use it without a case for the 11 days?

Thanks.

Reactions: Amthebigdog

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I took my screen protector off the same day that you did and, although my screen seems to be okay so far, your outcome concerns me a bit. Would you be willing to share how you feel you handled your phone in those 11 days? Extremely careful? Pretty careful? Somewhat careful? Hey, it's a phone, not a newborn baby?

Did you use it without a case for the 11 days?

Thanks.

I would say extremely careful ... I am usually pretty anal about my phone so these scratches really bother me. I was going case-less for a while but only around the house while lounging and watching TV, other than that it was in a case. Only thing I can suspect is that I recently got a Thinborne case and have been using it exclusively the past 3 days. It has no raised edges for screen protection but I always try to be sure the phone was on something soft if I put it face down. I wear Wrangler cargo pants and shorts that have a dedicated tech pocket, so my phone is always solo in that pocket. Unless something abrasive happened to get in the pocket ... IDK, but it's a rather large area.

I will likely get a liquid applied screen protector as that will likely conceal the scratches and go back to a case with raised edges. I like the feel of the phone case-less or with minimal case like the Thinborne but either the phone's screen is too delicate or I'm too much of a brute LOL

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I would say extremely careful ... I am usually pretty anal about my phone so these scratches really bother me. I was going case-less for a while but only around the house while lounging and watching TV, other than that it was in a case. Only thing I can suspect is that I recently got a Thinborne case and have been using it exclusively the past 3 days. It has no raised edges for screen protection but I always try to be sure the phone was on something soft if I put it face down. I wear Wrangler cargo pants and shorts that have a dedicated tech pocket, so my phone is always solo in that pocket. Unless something abrasive happened to get in the pocket ... IDK, but it's a rather large area.

I will likely get a liquid applied screen protector as that will likely conceal the scratches and go back to a case with raised edges. I like the feel of the phone case-less or with minimal case like the Thinborne but either the phone's screen is too delicate or I'm too much of a brute LOL
You may be on to something regarding the case. After a close inspection of my display screen, I have no scratches - micro or otherwise. For the past 12 days, I have been using the phone screen protector-less with one of my Spigen cases with a pronounced raised edge.

In my case (pun intended), I was also so worried about my propensity to be all thumbs and subject to senior brain farts at the least opportune moment that I decided to revisit my BlackBerry Passport days and tried using a holster again when out and about instead of one of my pockets. Although it was a bit of a transition, I am getting used to using a holster again and "being one of those guys." 😂

I'm really hoping that I can continue to go screen protector-less with the P8P because I find the day-to-day use of the phone so much more smooth and snappy. However, being a confirmed anal retentive and a little OCD, first scratch, no matter how inconspicuous, and the vile screen protector goes back on.

Last edited:

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I remember reading a post somewhere excoriating Apple because they didn’t use “better glass” in their phones.

He went on to say that he had spent the day at the beach, and had only gotten “a little bit” of sand in his pocket.

He was upset that his screen was scratched.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I remember reading a post somewhere excoriating Apple because they didn’t use “better glass” in their phones.

He went on to say that he had spent the day at the beach, and had only gotten “a little bit” of sand in his pocket.

He was upset that his screen was scratched.
Yeah, there's a reason they call it sandpaper, eh? A bit of quartz, granitics, what could go wrong...

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
I’m wondering if anyone here is using their Pixel 8 Pro without a screen protector and would be willing to share their experience.

I am pretty careful with my phones (at least as careful as I am with my prescription glasses) and seldom used a screen protector with any of my non-Google phones (including many BlackBerrys, Motorola’s, Samsung’s and a OnePlus – if I tried a screen protector, I took them off in pretty short order). I never had any major scratches and only a very few micro-scratches on any of my unprotected displays. However, when I moved to the Pixel 6 Pro, there were so many negative reviews and threads about scratched screens that I began using a screen protector and keeping it on regardless of how much it taunted me and dared me to take it off. The Pixel 8 Pro has also been subject to a lot of negative noise regarding the Victus 2 Gorilla Glass display.

I have nothing but disdain for the many screen protectors I have tried, both TPU and tempered glass, from well-known manufacturers and Chinese “alphabet soup named” companies, costly and cheap. It just seems like every single screen protector is a problem in one way or another – (pick your poison) bubbles, lifting, too small, too big, fingerprints, biometric issues, yellowing, too slippery, diminished functions, impossible installation, expensive as heck, etc.

I would really like to hear from someone who doesn’t have a habit of throwing their phone in their pocket with their keys and loose change every day, who doesn’t leave their phone on the kitchen floor for Fido to chew on and the kids to jump on, and who doesn’t drop it every other week after one too many beers – you know, someone who doesn’t have a boatload of money and treats their phone (and all it contains) like a significant investment.

So what say you? Have I been sold a bill of goods by people who don’t really treat their phones with much in the way of respect and then complain when they have an issue or do I need to continue to use a vile screen protector because Gorilla Glass Victus 2 is really just a step or two above Saran Wrap when it comes to scratch protection? TIA
Don't give into fear spreaders. You don't know what they were doing when they got the scratches. I can only guess like most people, it wasn't their fault. They were just sitting there and the scratches magically appeared. I used to use screen protectors but then I realized I didn't need them. Play it by ear. If the scratch fairies start showing up then get one. If you like using it to practice kicking the ball through the uprights, get one. If you use it wisely then save your money. Personally I never put much into negative comments and take them with a grain of salt. Here's an example negative comment. I was playing with my wood chipper. All I did was put my finger in it to see what happened. It took my hand off. The manufacturer should have made it safer for those of us who are stupid enough to stick their hands in .one. I'm never going to buy one from that company ever again. They're unsafe.

Reactions: BEaRebel and PGrey

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Don't give into fear spreaders. You don't know what they were doing when they got the scratches. I can only guess like most people, it wasn't their fault. They were just sitting there and the scratches magically appeared. I used to use screen protectors but then I realized I didn't need them. Play it by ear. If the scratch fairies start showing up then get one. If you like using it to practice kicking the ball through the uprights, get one. If you use it wisely then save your money. Personally I never put much into negative comments and take them with a grain of salt. Here's an example negative comment. I was playing with my wood chipper. All I did was put my finger in it to see what happened. It took my hand off. The manufacturer should have made it safer for those of us who are stupid enough to stick their hands in .one. I'm never going to buy one from that company ever again. They're unsafe.
Pretty much this.

You can’t protect the stupid from themselves.

No one ever “learned to be smart”. If you are born stupid, you will die stupid.

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't so much call it stupid, more differently-formed, in terms of world views and someone views the (right) way to influence things. I don't care for either, but you sometimes have to put up (not to be confused with going along) to some degree or go off the deep-end, IMHO.
50 years ago or certainly 100, I'd have been run out of town or worse, for my view on these topics, unless I was fortunate to exist in a tiny handful of places.

I don't hate the screen protectors, since I definitely have that "can't unsee the scratch" issue, to some degree. The P8 series is not the greatest with one though, IME, so far.

Reactions: Amthebigdog

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
“Differently formed” ….. a true classic in the present age of euphemisms, where we don’t ever call anything what it is.

Congratulations!

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I've certainly learned to tiptoe around a bit these days, particularly in large public forums I'd rather not instantly offend when the purpose is more of a technical exchange, even if it gets sprinkled with like (or unlike) euphemisms as part of the process... :rolleyes: :)

It is interesting, clearly screen protectors is more representative of bigger things, I'm sure it'd make an interesting sociology study. All things in moderation, I suppose, I've done a couple of those glass-with-liquid-dispersion setups, when everything went curved (unfortunately, IMHO), and instantly discovered I was fine with film protectors in the interim, despite the smoothness of glass. :oops:

When it comes to wrist-wear I tend to own something for a long time, so I try to get something with sapphire glass, when possible, as it greatly simplifies this whole mess, IME. The problem with Gorilla Glass for me is the relative hardness, around a 6.5-7, and the fact that so many things in life are significantly harder with sharp points (as a cyclist and ex-ski-racer for example, I'm often around Ti edges or sharpening stones). If I thought I could get away without dinging my screen without a protector I'd definitely go that route.

Last edited:

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I've certainly learned to tiptoe around a bit these days, particularly in large public forums I'd rather not instantly offend when the purpose is more of a technical exchange, even if it gets sprinkled with like (or unlike) euphemisms as part of the process... :rolleyes: :)

It is interesting, clearly screen protectors is more representative of bigger things, I'm sure it'd make an interesting sociology study. All things in moderation, I suppose, I've done a couple of those glass-with-liquid-dispersion setups, when everything went curved (unfortunately, IMHO), and instantly discovered I was fine with film protectors in the interim, despite the smoothness of glass. :oops:

When it comes to wrist-wear I tend to own something for a long time, so I try to get something with sapphire glass, when possible, as it greatly simplifies this whole mess, IME. The problem with Gorilla Glass for me is the relative hardness, around a 6.5-7, and the fact that so many things in life are significantly harder with sharp points (as a cyclist and ex-ski-racer for example, I'm often around Ti edges or sharpening stones). If I thought I could get away without dinging my screen without a protector I'd definitely go that route.
I tried one of the plastic film ones many phones ago, and decided that it was more bother than it was worth for me.

I tend to take good care of my expensive things.

My only wrist thing is a Fitbit, and it always has a sleeve/cuff over it, so it’s like new.

When I wore a wrist watch, I would occasionally whack it on the pushbar as I went through a door at work. It never broke, but it did have to replace it.

Reactions: BEaRebel

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
@mustang7757 Thank you. Agreed.

Been in the Arts for years, work around Concrete, Fire, Brick, Gemstones, Clay, Pottery, Dremel everything using aggressive bits...We live on the Water & there is always Sand... Everywhere. Funny. Never time to go to the Beach.
Wear a vintage watch w/Sapphire Crystal that has serious Dings in edge, & it Really shouldn't.

I'm Crazzzy careful with anything I own.
But, Life is LIFE. Materials trump Materials. As careful as We are, Screens get scratched.

Also, how well do we all see ?
Micro scratches, even teeny drive me kooks. But, My life is About Details.

Because of "Early Onset Cataract SX, I now see 20/20 "Plano" - for those who know.
(Yeas, pay the big bucks !).

~ DO NOT GO NAKED ~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter