True 1.5+ amp USB chargers that charge Android devices like their OEM chargers?

digity

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a variety of 3rd party single and multi-port USB chargers for home and car that are rated at 2.0, 2.1, 4.0 or 8.0 Amps yet my Android devices charge slowly with them. Long story short I picked up a Portapow USB power monitor and discovered I get anywhere from 0.45 to 0.92 with any 2.0+ Amps charger and Android device combo (my iOS devices are the only devices to achieve more amps with any of these chargers, up to 1.63 amps). In comparison a sample of what two of my Android devices get with their OEM USB chargers: 1.6 A (from it's 1.8 A rated OEM charger) and 1.3 A (from it's 1.5 A rated OEM charger).

Does anyone know of any 3rd party USB chargers, single or multi-port chargers, that delivers true 1.5+ amperage to Android devices?

P.S. - I know it's best practice to use the charger that came with phone/tablet, but sometimes its too inconvenient to carry with you everywhere or even purchasing a second one when a multi-port USB charger works better for the situation.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the phone, the charging cord may need 2 pins shorted to tell the phone to draw more power because it's on a wall charger. (The phone draws what it draws, as long as the charger can supply at least that much. A 50 Amp charger wouldn't make your phone draw more current.) If the non-OEM chargers don't short those pins, the phone thinks it's charging from a USB port and draws less. (Samsung has always done this, other manufacturers may. Read Samsung Galaxy Phone Rapid Charger Mod - XDA Forums)