Making a port version of my favorite game, is that legal?

tunguitvn

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, please share your opinion about this. I want to make a port version of my favorite game from IOS to Android, what is the limitation? What do I need to think about?
- Game play
- Art
- Name

Thank you.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I would consider asking the game developer if they would like you to do the port for them. You could make a similar game to theirs on your own and publish it on the Google Pay Store but I would be VERY careful about reusing any art or the name from the iOS app.

tunguitvn

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I would consider asking the game developer if they would like you to do the port for them. You could make a similar game to theirs on your own and publish it on the Google Pay Store but I would be VERY careful about reusing any art or the name from the iOS app.

But actually they do not own the name right? They can't come to Google play store and say that, hey, this game is the same name with us, you can not use that name... GG play and Apple store is totally difference market.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just because they're different marketplaces doesn't mean something from one can be directly copied (including the name) in the other by someone not affiliated with the original.

Recently, one of our local supermarket chains started a re-branding effort. They have had a "house brand" product line of one name, and one would think that would be the new name for the stores. However, because that name was being used by a different chain in another part of the country (different marketing area) they couldn't use that name to brand the stores so they had to choose a different name.

You don't have to be competing in the same market in order for there to be a copyright or trademark issue.

What makes you think they don't own the name? It's not like Apple said "OK, this will be the name of your app", the developer gives it a name.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
But actually they do not own the name right? They can't come to Google play store and say that, hey, this game is the same name with us, you can not use that name... GG play and Apple store is totally difference market.

Copy rights are country wide not market specific. If they own the copy right then they own it on every potential market place it could be sold.

I would recommend contacting the developer and asking if they have plans to make an Android version. Or make your own original game and don't steal someone else's ideas just because you want it on Android.