My personal take on RAM boosters and battery saver apps.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Many of us Android geeks know that there are a ton of those so-called "RAM boosters", "Phone Cleaners" and "Battery Saver" apps throughout the Play Store. Many of these apps have very compelling claims like "boost your phone by 80%" or "50% more battery life", which might be more than enough to make someone download them.

Screenshot_2015-07-14-23-55-31.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-15-00-00-13.jpg

However, here's my take on them.

They're utter junk

Maybe they had a purpose in the days of Froyo and Gingerbread, but times have changed. Android now has better memory management (except those memory leaks in *cough*Lollipop*cough*) and the underlying OS is now much better at managing battery life.

Now, Android manages RAM differently from your regular Windows PC. On your PC, you need to have as much free RAM as you can or your PC may slow down and you won't be able to multitask as efficiently. Not the case with Android. The OS actually TRIES to fill up as much RAM as it can so that apps can launch quicker and all of the available RAM is utilized by the system. Using a RAM cleaner actually degrades performance because once those apps are killed, Android is forced to reload them back into memory, slowing down your phone while those apps start back up. As a fellow AC user once said, "Unused RAM is wasted RAM".

Android also manages which apps stay in the background and ensures that battery consumption is as stable as possible. That doesn't stop the wakelocks, though. Really, all I can say is that these apps only serve to take up space on your phone's storage and many seem to be getting more and more bloated, with Clean Master packing lots of unnecessary junk like a flashlight, when your phone likely already has one. Clean Master also cleans the cache of the phone along with other junk, which can be useful, but the storage options in the Settings app also allows you to do so with one tap.

Anyway, my take is over. It might look like a rant, but I've been telling people not to install them and during my time looking at Android forums, it seems that many Android geeks share the same view.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And yeah, like I said earlier, the storage section in the Settings app allows you to clear the cache.

Attachments

• 1436897347207.jpg
    1436897347207.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 38

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Many of us Android geeks know that there are a ton of those so-called "RAM boosters", "Phone Cleaners" and "Battery Saver" apps throughout the Play Store. Many of these apps have very compelling claims like "boost your phone by 80%" or "50% more battery life", which might be more than enough to make someone download them.

However, . . .
They're utter junk

Android now has better memory management (except those memory leaks in *cough*Lollipop*cough*) and the underlying OS is now much better at managing battery life.

Now, Android manages RAM differently from . . . regular Windows PC. On your PC, you need to have as much free RAM as you can or your PC may slow down and you won't be able to multitask as efficiently. Not the case with Android. The OS actually TRIES to fill up as much RAM as it can so that apps can launch quicker and all of the available RAM is utilized by the system. Using a RAM cleaner actually degrades performance because once those apps are killed, Android is forced to reload them back into memory, slowing down your phone while those apps start back up. As a fellow AC user once said, "Unused RAM is wasted RAM".

Android also manages which apps stay in the background and ensures that battery consumption is as stable as possible. That doesn't stop the wakelocks, though. Really, all I can say is that these apps only serve to take up space on your phone's storage and many seem to be getting more and more bloated, with Clean Master packing lots of unnecessary junk like a flashlight, when your phone likely already has one. Clean Master also cleans the cache of the phone along with other junk, which can be useful, but the storage options in the Settings app also allows you to do so with one tap.

Anyway, . . . it seems that many Android geeks share the same view.
Yet again, there it is! :cool:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
And yeah, like I said earlier, the storage section in the Settings app allows you to clear the cache.
Actually, doing that is not a good idea. Cache files should be left alone. Cache files rebuild anyway when the associated apps are used, so it's usually a waste of CPU cycles and power to clear caches.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Actually, doing that is not a good idea. Cache files should be left alone. Cache files rebuild anyway when the associated apps are used, so it's usually a waste of CPU cycles and power to clear caches.

I'm s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w-l-l-ly-y-y beginning to learn about this.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Great point.

I just put it there to point out that Android can already do what those cleaner apps could.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This should be a pinned post/topic. +1000

I actually tried Clean Master out of curiosity....note, I have been an Android user since 2010, have had experience with every OS update since Android Donut 1.6, and something I realised even in the early days was how useless things like Advanced Task Killer, Advanced Task Manager etc... were, and stopped using them very early on, but Clean Master was all up in my face with ads on FB, so I gave in one day and tried....it was uninstalled within day, it brought back memories of those awful early Android task apps, but with funky and unnecessary animations and notifications. Couldn't believe I had installed such crap on my lovely Note 4 which has served me so well.

I advise all to stay away from those apps, they add no value, especially on your +$500 Android which probably already has all kinds of sophisticated power saving and cleaning programmes and hardware baked in.

The only app I recommend is Greenify, and thats just for conveniently force stopping misbehaving apps properly with a widget rather than going to App Manager.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I just put it there to point out that Android can already do what those cleaner apps could.

W-e-e-e-e-ll-ll. sorta, but not without a fair bit of user intervention and screen-on time.

I agree that cache cleaners and ram boosters are a load of bunk when talking about Android phones. However, apps like Clean Master and SD Maid can come in handy occasionally (say, if you are trying to eliminate possibilities when your phone is doing things it shouldn't do) because those apps automate the process of identifying residual files and folders as well as clearing app caches in one fell swoop.

That's no argument for keeping them installed on a phone indefinitely or shelling out for a pro version; just a claim that they can have a limited, case-specific use value.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Never, EVER install Clean Master or anything else by Cheetah Mobile. For why,, read the links in this post:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4529830

As for SD Maid, unlike other so-called cleaners, SD Maid only does what it should do - clear out junk files, clean up databases, etc. It does not try to do things it shouldn't. There's no RAM cleaner/optimizer, no cache cleaner deleting useful cache files willy-nilly. It does not run in the background, only when used. No nag ads. Just a powerful set of useful tools for doing useful things.

But...it is a *powerful* set of tools. And use of tools like this are seldom, usually never, actually needed. Use it very rarely, with extreme care and at your own risk!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&token=GjLoMN_X

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
As for SD Maid, unlike other so-called cleaners, SD Maid only does what it should do - clear out junk files, clean up databases, etc. It does not try to do things it shouldn't. There's no RAM cleaner/optimizer, no cache cleaner deleting useful cache files willy-nilly. It does not run in the background, only when used. No nag ads. Just a powerful set of useful tools for doing useful things.

But...it is a *powerful* set of tools. And use of tools like this are seldom, usually never, actually needed. Use it very rarely, with extreme care and at your own risk!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&token=4KBOYmcl

Interesting. It does state: "This is a powerful tool! Use at own risk!" :eek:

This specific app is something new to me. :cool:

Just curious to know if when using this and it prompts you "safe to delete," how do you know if it is truly safe?

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Look at it this way: At least the developer is being honest. Instead of making grand claims that his app will fix nearly every problem, leave you feeling fully satisfied and make breakfast in the morning, he's saying it's powerful, carries some risk, so be careful!

It IS a powerful piece of software. And this type of software is very difficult to make 100% foolproof. So, when it says 'Safe to delete', depending on exactly what you're doing, there may be some risk. But I trust SD Maid far more than I do other, similar apps because of the developer's honesty and for the reasons I stated in my previous post. SD Maid does what it says and only what it says.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Look at it this way: At least the developer is being honest. Instead of making grand claims that his app will fix nearly every problem, leave you feeling fully satisfied and make breakfast in the morning, he's saying it's powerful, carries some risk, so be careful!

It IS a powerful piece of software. And this type of software is very difficult to make 100% foolproof. So, when it says 'Safe to delete', depending on exactly what you're doing, there may be some risk. But I trust SD Maid far more than I do other, similar apps because of the developer's honesty and for the reasons I stated in my previous post. SD Maid does what it says and only what it says.

No problem. I downloaded it onto my SGN.IV, but I'll wait until I certainly know for sure what I'm doing before using it. Thanks! :cool:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This should be a pinned post/topic. +1000

I actually tried Clean Master out of curiosity....note, I have been an Android user since 2010, have had experience with every OS update since Android Donut 1.6, and something I realised even in the early days was how useless things like Advanced Task Killer, Advanced Task Manager etc... were, and stopped using them very early on, but Clean Master was all up in my face with ads on FB, so I gave in one day and tried....it was uninstalled within day, it brought back memories of those awful early Android task apps, but with funky and unnecessary animations and notifications. Couldn't believe I had installed such crap on my lovely Note 4 which has served me so well.

I advise all to stay away from those apps, they add no value, especially on your +$500 Android which probably already has all kinds of sophisticated power saving and cleaning programmes and hardware baked in.

The only app I recommend is Greenify, and thats just for conveniently force stopping misbehaving apps properly with a widget rather than going to App Manager.

Greenify is great because it actually saves battery juice by killing misbehaving apps that may force a device to stay awake when it doesn't need to.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, the Galaxy S6 has a similar tool and from what I've heard, it's made in collaboration with Cheetah Mobile (yeah, the devs of Clean Master)

There seems to be something similar on my G4, but they just ended up being shortcuts to their respective sections in the Settings app.
(S6 on the left, G4 on the right)

11075031_980699611940252_6842577575017406249_o.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-16-20-49-41.jpg

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it's friggin' unbelievable any OEM manufacturer would do it, but Samsung actually took the money from Cheetah Mobile to include their crapware in the oversized bloatware bundle Samsung seems to think someone wants. Just another reason why I will never own anything from Samsung.

HTC is guilty of stupidity too. Below is from a post by EarlyMon on Android Forum;

"Samsung and Cheetah made a joint announcement about their unholy union.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...mobile-security-and-innovation-300043298.html

Android Central in their review said that it came in the M9 Suggestions folder, not installed, and that the whole folder was best deleted.

HTC One M9 review | Android Central

The Samsung S6 comes with it baked in and operational.

Some of Samsung's Galaxy S6 software sends a mixed message about performance | Android Central

So, I don't know how thinly you want to slice the relationship wording. Samsung and Cheetah announced a joint venture, it's baked in. HTC has it as optional malware, no doubt for a kickback.

Cue the new owners who want to explain that it either isn't that bad (yes, it is) or that we're not as smart as Samsung or HTC (go away) in 3... 2..."

Samsung and HTC need to have their poor unsuspecting victims - I mean customers - do some kiind of mass protest that this is unacceptable and if not stopped they will buy elsewhere. Vote with your wallets!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, at least LG doesn't seem to put that crap on the G4.

Also, what I find hilarious is Clean Master's claim on the Play Store page that it "boosts your phone by 80%".

I'm sorry, but if you wanna boost my current phone (LG G4) by 80%, then put the Exynos 7422 in place of the 808.