Netflix to launch on "select handsets" Any ideas?

MustangMan428

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
While everyone and their mother already knows about the selected handset deal, I was wondering what the good people over here thought about it. Does anybody have any ideas as to which handsets are "special" enough? One of the phones I see getting it would be the galaxy s line. It's popular, its on every carrier, and with them getting froyo now they'll be even more capable. I could also see the evo getting it. But after that I'm drawing blanks... :( I would love to be able to suggest the mytouch might get it, but I'm not so sure. What are your guys' thoughts?

Oh and any news about someone cracking the netflix.apk from the revue? I tried following the links but the seem to have gone cold. That would be awesome for whatever phones arnt able to get an app, since they could access their accounts anyway. I think their reasoning behind this is dumb. If I wanted to I could download a bunch of movies to my phone right now. Or my computer for that matter. Especially an iPhone which HAS the app. You download one thing and boom. All the movies you could ever want, yet were hung out to dry... *grumbles*

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
My guess is it will just be new ones. The security necessary will mean the carriers and manufacturers will have to cooperate with Netflix, which may mean none at all, since carriers may not be eager to see the bandwidth demands.

I'd look for it on flagship tablets, and may be large screen flagship phones newly-released later this year.

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh and any news about someone cracking the netflix.apk from the revue? I tried following the links but the seem to have gone cold. That would be awesome for whatever phones arnt able to get an app, since they could access their accounts anyway.

The good news I see in this, is that if a real "phone" gets the Netflix app, it will probably be easier to break it out and make it availible for others. Since they are trying to go from a "tv-box" to a phone, there are more hurdles. Going from phone to phone should be a lot easier.

MustangMan428

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely agree on the review thing. Once a phone gets it, it will be a hundred times easier.

And as for the only needing 2.2, that'd be awesome. What would be a high end device tho? Would the mytouch 4g be considered one as its sort of the flagship for t-mobile? My friend and gf have a g2 so would that count as well?

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas if 2.1 will be supported for it? I have the Galaxy S line and as we all know the updates are slowly becoming readily available for some of them (to 2.2) and im wondering if ill still be able to take advantage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall