hardware mind needed on s4

Daniel Holland2

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
My mums S4 has stopped working I've replaced charger port I know it works after repair because it gets hot

Changed battery tried switch on came on for couple secs then off again nothing happens when plugged into charger

All started by her using a s6 charger to charge a s4 na it just gets really hot after the repairs I've done

Can someone help please

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it's getting hot when plugged in I'd stop using it immediately. That most likely means there's a short circuit somewhere in the repairs or the battery has been damaged and is just acting as a big wire between the charging pins (which would result in a short)

Daniel Holland2

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
It's the top right of the phone that gets hot
The repair I've done should av been fine

Think it's her using s6 charger that's done it

I dunno wat else could be it has new port and new battery

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know sometimes it seems like everything goes right when replacing hardware (especially charging ports or display ones), but unless you've ensured that there's no conductivity where there should be an open circuit, that would still be my first guess if there's overheating when charging.

Yes, the S6 charger has a different hardware and voltage levels from the S4 charger BUT the S6 charger only activates the Fast Charging levels when the right impedances are there when plugging in your phone. In your case, since the S4 doesn't have those Fast Charging circuits, the S6 charger defaults to 'normal' charging levels. Shouldn't be any different than plugging it in to a standard USB port/charger.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You'd need an open circuit tester (sort of like a pen with an LED). Problem is you'd need to know exactly which pins to test. That's why I strongly advise against DIY repair kits unless you're absolutely certain you know what you're doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699