Android OS 2.3 and 3.0

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
This is one thing about Google's Android OS that bothers me. I buy a nice phone like the HTC Evo and Samsung Epic and new OS comes out and we get left into the dust. For an example OS 2.2 came out one year ago at Google's I/O confrence, Samsungs Epic has yet to see that pushed. HTC Evo was first to get Froyo (2.2) but now 2.3 has been out and 3.0 has already been seen on Tablets I wish these Comapanys get on the ball with there OS. One thing that Apple has on Google is that an OS is anounced it gets released THAT DAY or a week or 2 afterwards. Im not a fan boy of any company in particular I love Andriod's Open Source idea and for a phone it is very nessesary to use. Apple/RIM has there Ups and downs as well. I want to know if anyone out there agrees with me on this subject? I do know coding and such takes time im a programer myself, but if these companys want to compette they should analyze the software and push it out ASAP so us customers can benifit the updates.

Ognelodhgm

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple and Rim develop their own devices. Androids on a bunch of different devices used by a bunch of other company's with different priorities and goals. Apple can roll it out so easily b/c it's all in house. They don't have to give it to Samsung, Motorola or HTC for them to tweak what was already done. RIM is slow on their updates. Most of rims updates are to fix stuff that should have worked correctly from the get go. Which usually makes something else to not work right. I agree with what you are saying, but there are just to many hands in the cookie jar to roll updates out so quickly.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This issue has been raised before and Android fansboys will get there panties in a bunch if someone reminds them that Apple will continue to provide software updates for years. This isn't a minor thing either because the early adopters of the iPhone did not have cut/copy/paste but when Apple figured out how to do it it was available to ALL iPhone/iTouch users.

There is a lot to like about Android but keeping the Android users up to date is NOT one of them. It is absolutely true that Apple owns the hardware and software and have only a few devices to deal with whereas Android is scattered over many manufacturers with dozens of devices and it is much more difficult to keep all the users up to date.

Still, no mater what the reasons for Androids orphaning problem the fact remain that we Android users ARE orphaned and often within a few months of the devices release. I've had the Evo since launch day (6/4) and the only update I've received was Froyo more than 7 months ago. I tell you this ... if Apple comes out with an iPhone with larger screen and Android continues to orphan its user base I will switch back to Apple!

This issue one of the major problems I have with Android and the other is the generally lower quality of apps due, in no small way, by the culture that won't pay for things...

Brian

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Google isn't the problem here. Google releases the software fairly quick (hense cm7 and honeycomb on some devices). Its the mfgs and carriers that lag. Apple updates their devices. Not att or now Verizon. With android, Google releases it, Mfgs tweak it then carriers tweak and release it. There are a few more hands on the software than with apple.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea I know there soo many hands in the cookie jar, but it is a issue that causes customers upset and switch to other OS. I know Google is not fully at fault for this but they are partialy because of the tons of hands in the cookie jars is because of them letting it. It seems like a long process and Apple can lead the pack if they keep these in house updates rolling out.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea I know there soo many hands in the cookie jar, but it is a issue that causes customers upset and switch to other OS. I know Google is not fully at fault for this but they are partialy because of the tons of hands in the cookie jars is because of them letting it. It seems like a long process and Apple can lead the pack if they keep these in house updates rolling out.

Not sure about that one. The avarage consumer does not really care about if thier device is running eclair, froyo or gingerbread. All they care about is that it works. That is why the apple system works, you don't have to worry about updating your iphone every 3 or 6 months but just once every year. Some people I know don't even update IOS untill they buy a new iphone.

And let us face it is that the main diffrence eclair and froyo was the capability of storing apps in your SD card and flash support. It is not like jumping from 1.6 to 2.1.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
There are only two current Android phones. They are up to date.

HTC, Motorola and the rest build phones AND the OS to their specs. They are not Android, any more than iOS is freeBSD. This doesn't do squat to address the problem, but at least understand how open source works and know where to lay the blame.

Hypothetically -- Google is working on 2.4, and once they do an initial test release on the Nexus S, and decide that it's releasable, they are done. They do not issue OS updates or releases to manufacturers. They simply post the source code for everyone to use. If the code can be modified to run on the Nexus One (think 2.3) then it will be pushed and tested on it. If not (think ADP1) the phone will be retired. This exactly what Apple and RIM do, you just do not have other companies using the code from iOS or BBOS to build their operating systems.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
This is how Windows Mobile blew up and then silently died.

Here's hoping that Android doesn't go the route of WinMo.

My problem is that the manufacturers are playing triage doctor. They decide who lives and dies in the Android world.

We all hear that Google should have set requirements on some aspects of the OS; but my belief is that they should have required that NO company can setup their own Market if they want GAPPS on their devices. I refuse to install Angry Birds Rio because I wont install the Amazon app market. I will continue to get everything from the Android Market. WE NEED 1 UNIFIED MARKET.

the second is Google should have required companies update their devices to at least 1 newer revision of Android after the devices initial release and if something comes out that is a major security issue, they are required to update the devices to that revision.

Last edited:

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There are only two current Android phones. They are up to date.

HTC, Motorola and the rest build phones AND the OS to their specs. They are not Android, any more than iOS is freeBSD. This doesn't do squat to address the problem, but at least understand how open source works and know where to lay the blame.

Hypothetically -- Google is working on 2.4, and once they do an initial test release on the Nexus S, and decide that it's releasable, they are done. They do not issue OS updates or releases to manufacturers. They simply post the source code for everyone to use. If the code can be modified to run on the Nexus One (think 2.3) then it will be pushed and tested on it. If not (think ADP1) the phone will be retired. This exactly what Apple and RIM do, you just do not have other companies using the code from iOS or BBOS to build their operating systems.

Could not agree with you more.

I think the only way Google can meet the demand for "pure" Google phone is to have carriers actually sell the Nexus line. And I do mean sell it, as in have in the actual store in stock. At least it offers the opportunity for users that are craving or wanting quick android updates the opportunity to get it. And I think that is happening already as the Nexus S is being sold by carriers in Europe and here in Canada - Telus(one of the major carriers) has actually announced that they are going to carry the nexus s as an in store device. I not sure if the carriers in the State actually sell the Nexus S.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Could not agree with you more.

I think the only way Google can meet the demand for "pure" Google phone is to have carriers actually sell the Nexus line. And I do mean sell it, as in have in the actual store in stock. At least it offers the opportunity for users that are craving or wanting quick android updates the opportunity to get it. And I think that is happening already as the Nexus S is being sold by carriers in Europe and here in Canada - Telus(one of the major carriers) has actually announced that they are going to carry the nexus s as an in store device. I not sure if the carriers in the State actually sell the Nexus S.

It would be great if they would let it happen, but they won't. If carriers carry their device, then they want their hands in it. There's your bloatware, restrictions, Bing, etc. Then they'll want to test the updates. Now where are we? Behind the unbranded Nexus phone's.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that is true but I think that once a carrier see that they can sell a device without thier usual "value added " services they will be more welcoming to devices such as the nexus s.

Sent by my droid

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Also to put things in perspective other smart phone os are also slow to update.

Windows has not released the no-nad update that is suppose to have cut and paste and other goodies. MS just released an update prepare the way for thier main update.

RIM keeps sending updates to carries but carriers don't release them either.

Apple only relase updates every six months or just once a year.

Nokia does not count this year since thier window devices are not coming out untill 2012. And symbian is left to die on its own

HPpalm finally released web 2.x after a year

Sent by my droid

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress