Apple WWDC Rumor: iMessage Coming to Android?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: IMessage coming to android?!

Bery interesting.... needs a lot more details. For example, sharing uncompressed videos, etc.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Rumor has it...iMessage on Android

So I saw on the interwebs that iMessage might be coming to Android finally! Not sure if I'm allowed to post other sources on this site, but it's a fairly reliable site claiming the rumor. If this is true my iPhone will likely be going to some very happy person on eBay or Craigslist. It is literally the only thing keeping me tied to iOS. I hope this is true. I loved my S7 Edge but hate the archaic method of text messaging (mostly because of pictures and videos being sent).

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Highly doubtful.
In one of the Android Central podcasts, Rene Ritchie said that had been their initial plan but then they got sued by some company and it tied things up. He's an Apple fanatic so I'm inclined to belive this may be possible. My guess is if they do it, they'll start off free and then try to monetize it by charging like a subscription fee or something. Honestly,imo, Google's options suck. I'd probably pay to have imessage and FaceTime. That's the only thing the iPhone has that I'm envious of.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That would be crazy.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

In one of the Android Central podcasts, Rene Ritchie said that had been their initial plan but then they got sued by some company and it tied things up. He's an Apple fanatic so I'm inclined to belive this may be possible. My guess is if they do it, they'll start off free and then try to monetize it by charging like a subscription fee or something. Honestly,imo, Google's options suck. I'd probably pay to have imessage and FaceTime. That's the only thing the iPhone has that I'm envious of.

I mean if it does I'll welcome it. I had iPhone and getting uncompressed videos via "text" from Mom of my Nephew was nice. She texts the gf the videos now so I can watch them in way better quality than MMS to me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I mean if it does I'll welcome it. I had iPhone and getting uncompressed videos via "text" from Mom of my Nephew was nice. She texts the gf the videos now so I can watch them in way better quality than MMS to me.

My wife and I started using WhatsApp for that. :/

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

My wife and I started using WhatsApp for that. :/

Yeah, it's easy for me to get my wife to use whatever app I want,but most of the people I talk to regularly other than my wife have iPhones.

Dr. S

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

I've never used an iPhone so I'm not too familiar with it. However if it can make MMS and group texts work more smoothly, I'd give it a try.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If this rumor is true, RIP WhatsApp? Can Also penetrate on iOS? The ramifications are potentially huge.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

How exactly it works is crucial to this rumor. If it's just chat functionality and doesn't have the bypassing MMS protocols that iMessage users enjoy for iMessage chats, then it's pretty worthless.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a credible move in light of last month's announcement about Allo. If I'm not mistaken that was introduced as a cross-platform app along with talk of some sort of end-to-end encryption option. But as you say, the devil will be in the details.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I guess i just don't get the big deal about iMessage besides getting messages on your various Apple devices, which to me isn't a big deal. Guess I'm missing something. I text iPhone people all the time and vice versa, send pics and vids. Sorry for my ignorance if I'm missing the big kahoona.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87