Would you like a truly bezel-less phone?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I know some of you do not even like curved displays, but it isn't going to be going away anytime soon. Do you think Samsung should continue and remove the bezels all the way around, just lose the side bezels or start making their flagship phones with bezels again?

Reports are both Google and Apple could possibly be going with the curved display trend as well.

My personal opinion is that they should just go with the sides bezeless, but have the option of a flat display variant.

http://phandroid.com/2017/04/25/samsung-4-curved-sides/

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. I don't think the side bezels should be gone (thin, yes - gone, no) and Samsung already went too small on the top/bottom bezels. There's just no way to comfortably hold the thing without your fingers touching the screen.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Nope. No thanks. Not until technology and magic finally merge and we can get QHD resolution, audiophile-quality stereophonic sound, and crystal-clear reception on all radios from a hologram that we cast and control with our minds.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not. I don't think the side bezels should be gone (thin, yes - gone, no) and Samsung already went too small on the top/bottom bezels. There's just no way to comfortably hold the thing without your fingers touching the screen.
I really like what LG has done with the G6. The G6 has become overshadowed by the S8, but I like the G6 design better. The G6 feels better in my hand as far as manipulation goesツ

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not I. I like a little bezel to hang on to. I don't like the long thin look of the screen either. I prefer the 16/9 ratio.

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Visually it's stunning, or at least organized. But, bezel helps for when you need to use a specific angle for a photo shoot or equipment to record video, which I doubt there is a tool properly designed for an edgeless phone.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting, everywhere I go it seems like most people don't like the bezeless edge, however, the S7 edge out sold the S7. Is it because of the bigger battery, screen or both? Maybe it's just pretty to look at. Does anyone know?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Bigger display, bigger battery, different are my three reasons I'd go edge over regular if I was Joe Average

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Screen glass should be flat. I don't want to muck around with fancy screen protectors that may or may not stick to the curves. Also, there needs to be some bezel so that you can, how shall I say...HOLD the phone. Yes, that's it: hold it without your fingers getting in the way....a novel idea perhaps, but one which is, I feel, sound.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would love one in theory; but now I know that I'd be so scared of dropping it that I would actually be more prone to dripping it due to my fingers not being able to truly grip anything. I'll take a small bezel-to-body ratio phone as long as I know I can hold it safely and properly; but a bezel-less phone? Nope. It'd be broken within a week. :(

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting, everywhere I go it seems like most people don't like the bezeless edge,
Well, you could just be getting a lot of responses from change-resistant "elders" on this forum, too. I know I qualify. But Samsung's not gonna have any problem selling the S8 and S8+. If you buy the pitch about 18/9, those are two very drool-worthy lil machines. Especially the big orchid-grey one. And the G6 is also a sweet-looking phone. I just refuse to believe that narrower = better.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It is true that these phones are not designed for the use of screen protectors at all . They are designed fairly well for people who like cases though. You can put it in a case and it does not add very much bulk, in fact it's pretty much the same size as a phone that has bezels without a case. A case also solves the problem of handling the phone. Sure, it takes a way from the beauty, but I guess you can't have everythingツ

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I'd have to say no.

I mean I love thin bezels. The G6 with this new 2/1 ratio kinda hit the nail on the head for me. Just a skosh bigger and I'd be all in.

I'm waiting on the V30 hoping they also use the 2/1 ratio

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I would not buy a bezel-less phone... provided I have a choice (obviously).

I prefer bezels because thats how I hold onto my phone.

Max4242

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Take it from someone who has a Xiaomi Mi Mix the bezel-less display is amazing. I love it and would have a hard time going back. Though I admit the front facing camera isn't great in low light and the standard headset speaker isn't great (though it isn't bad, just could stand to be a bit louder). But otherwise they are super cool and I don't have any problems holding the device or using it with one hand. Nor do I have any issues with "ghost touches". I don't have a huge hands either.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Now having a G6 in my possession, I'll say that it isn't too bad... the sides are actually beefy enough to not impact holding the phone. The S8/+ on the other hand, I'm got a handful of screen when I'm holding it... like her S7 Edge that preceded it.

Though, I am a big proponent of front firing stereo speakers, so bezels come with the territory.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

+ 1 to this :)

Bezels definitely have a place on the phone and they are an important part to overall usability. I think the LG G6 make the bezels as thin as I would go and Sammy went a little to far.

Does it look nice? Absolutely! :D but having glass everywhere just increases chances for cracks.

averen09

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
i think that would be quite ugly, what if you unintentionally given a strong pressure on the edge of your phone? that may result to cracking of the screen, still bezel is necessary, that would be not fine to exclude it

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
+ 1 to this :)

Bezels definitely have a place on the phone and they are an important part to overall usability. I think the LG G6 make the bezels as thin as I would go and Sammy went a little to far.

Does it look nice? Absolutely! :D but having glass everywhere just increases chances for cracks.

Or the chances of dropping your phone to its doom (and your dismay).