(Opinion) Would you consider the Pixel 5 a downgrade from Note 10+?

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I am kind of considering it, but want to see if other people would think is a good idea or bad idea?

Right now I have a Samsung Note 10+ and am looking into (possibly) trading for a Pixel 5. I have had every version of the Pixel series, so I am no stranger to Google's devices. There are some features that I do miss, such as 'Now Playing', timely monthly updates, desktop picture frame when used in conjunction with the charging stand, and stock Android just to name a few. I'm not going to rehash the qualities of the Note 10+ as majority of the people on this site (whether you are a fan of Samsung or not) have a good idea what those are. However, there are some things Samsung does better with their devices than Google. Plus the negativity that surrounded the Pixel 5 at launch. I am just curious if making such a deal would be considered a downgrade.

This is just an opinion piece. I don't post very often, but I have been on the forums long enough to know what responses I might get with these type of topics :):p. Especially, when posting under a specific make and model.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I went from a pixel 4 xl to a p5 and some might say it's a downgrade but for me it was an improvement and i consider it an upgrade.

Bezeless screen, wide angle camera, smaller form factor which I prefer, reverse wireless charging which I use with my pixel buds, like the new metal/plastic material so I don't have to worry about damaging it or use a bulky case, 8GB of ram instead of 6, finger print sensor is now back again vs the face ID which I prefer because of having to use masks and last but not least the insane battery life.

It does have a slower processor it's a 765g but to me it performs great and for my usage in terms of performance i can't really notice issues.

Last edited:

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I came from a fabulous Huawei mate 20 pro to the Pixel 5. Am very happy with my choice. Like yourself I've had pixel phones in the past such as my nexus 6p and pixel 2xl and now find the simplicity of using my pixel 5, prompt security updates and smaller form far outweighs the little used premium features of a flagship phone.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
For the past few years I have been switching back and forth between the Note series and the Pixel series. The S-pen is what draws me to the note, but I very rarely use. Now that I have a Galaxy Tab A with a pen, it makes the Note 10+ a bit redundant. What draws me to the Pixel is The 'Now Playing' feature. It is just an impressive piece of technology. I love seeing what song is playing on the lock screen. I have Shazam, but it just isn't the same. The other main feature that I miss is the digital photo frame as I have the Pixel charging stand at work. However, with the not so positive press the P5 has been receiving I don't know if it would actually be worth it this time.

My wife uses a Samsung, so this is another point of contention. Naturally, transferring data to her phone isn't as smooth of a process with Pixel phones. Mainly videos. For example I would record my daughter's dance recital on my Pixel, but it would never transfer over to my wife's S10. If there are work arounds with this I am all ears. I have tried Android beam through NFC, but the Pixel would not recognize the S10.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
define downgrade? IMO, it is never a downgrade if the phone does everything you need it to do and you are no longer happy with your old phone. .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They are 2 different phones and experience, I have the pixel 5 along with note 20U , still have my pixel 4xl another great phone . But I was surprised how good the pixel 5 is and battery wise . I had my Note 10+ before my Note 20U and that was a beast of a phone with all the specs you can want but it's your decision what you want and go with it . I do what keeps me happy with my Samsung/One Plus/Google/iPhone so you gotta do what you like, it's not a wrong what you decide to do for yourself.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
I sold me Note 10+ for a P5 and couldn't be happier. However, to each is their own.

I personally love the smaller form factor, the pure android, the camera, 90hz (yes I notice) and just the overall one handed maneuverability.

One of the things I do miss on my note is the display. But that's it.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I view it as a downgrade but I personally don't care for stock Android so my opinion isn't worth much to someone who does.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I understand that Mustang. My goal wasn't to swing my decision one way or another, as I know it comes down to what I want to do. I was more hoping for people to weigh in on their experiences with the Pixel 5 so far. Is it truly as bad as they say it is? I have read the press clippings. Watched the Youtuber tech reviews. Browsed the comment sections here on AC.

Unfortunately, with these current idiotic restrictions, you can't just go into a Best Buy store and test one for yourself.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I understand that Mustang. My goal wasn't to swing my decision one way or another, as I know it comes down to what I want to do. I was more hoping for people to weigh in on their experiences with the Pixel 5 so far. Is it truly as bad as they say it is? I have read the press clippings. Watched the Youtuber tech reviews. Browsed the comment sections here on AC.

Unfortunately, with these current idiotic restrictions, you can't just go into a Best Buy store and test one for yourself.
Gotcha, well in that case , it's a very very solid phone the pixel 5 .

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
After about 7 weeks with the device, my opinion is that the Pixel 5 is the best smartphone on the market. To be fair, I define "best" to mean simply that it delivers, in addition to top-quality photos, the most reliable, user-friendly, and smooth-functioning experience -- attributes that do not depend at all on specs or price or "social glamour" factors. I think the best evidence that the Pixel 5 offers the finest combination of consistent performance and satisfying user experience is the fact that you can peruse this forum and find so few complaints about the phone when compared to user posts on forums devoted to other devices.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I watched a video from 'Soldier Knows Best' doing a camera comparison between the Ultra 20+ and the Pixel 5. I was thoroughly impressed by both cameras, although I would give the slightest edge to Google in most of the photos he took. The other area that really took me by surprise was how good the videos were on the Pixel 5. Google really stepped up their game in that department.

Here is a silly question. If I were to trade straight up for a Pixel 5 from the Note 10+, would I need to get a 5G plan and sim card in order for that phone to work? I did a quick search on this question, but there were no definitive answers. I live in Canada by the way and on the Bell network.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I watched a video from 'Soldier Knows Best' doing a camera comparison between the Ultra 20+ and the Pixel 5. I was thoroughly impressed by both cameras, although I would give the slightest edge to Google in most of the photos he took. The other area that really took me by surprise was how good the videos were on the Pixel 5. Google really stepped up their game in that department.

Here is a silly question. If I were to trade straight up for a Pixel 5 from the Note 10+, would I need to get a 5G plan and sim card in order for that phone to work? I did a quick search on this question, but there were no definitive answers. I live in Canada by the way and on the Bell network.
No you don't have to , I use my Att which wasn't 5g sim , my Tmobile sim was 5g though.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback!

I will probably switch over to the Pixel 5 here soon. Someone is offering a Pixel 5 for $ 700 or trade, which I was going to offer up the Note 10+, but I don't know if I fully trust Kijiji. There are just too many horror stories. Bell has a pretty sweet offer right now with trade-in incentives via bill credits.

I do have a couple of questions that will really persuade me to the P5. 1) How is the sound quality on the phone? I know it isn't as good as the 4XL, but people are saying it is nowhere near as bad as what the tech reviewers are making it out to be either. 2) What is the call reception like? Again, a lot of people say they can't hear the other person when talking to them. Is that the case or no?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback!

I will probably switch over to the Pixel 5 here soon. Someone is offering a Pixel 5 for $ 700 or trade, which I was going to offer up the Note 10+, but I don't know if I fully trust Kijiji. There are just too many horror stories. Bell has a pretty sweet offer right now with trade-in incentives via bill credits.

I do have a couple of questions that will really persuade me to the P5. 1) How is the sound quality on the phone? I know it isn't as good as the 4XL, but people are saying it is nowhere near as bad as what the tech reviewers are making it out to be either. 2) What is the call reception like? Again, a lot of people say they can't hear the other person when talking to them. Is that the case or no?
Me personally went in thinking the pixel 5 wasn't going be good , the sound and call quality is pretty good , no issues on my end, battery life this thing shines .

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I have note 10+ and I always had smaller pixel (now pixel 3) as backup but I really wanted to try Pixel (hopefully Google will release one with flagship processor) as my main device. But Spen, Samsung pay (no more in New devices), Remote storage support in myfiles and secure folder (for my work) made me come back to note within a day if I use any other device. Can compromise on Spen (since I have Tab S7+), but there is no replacement for others from any other OEM as of now. And last but not least that awesome boxy design of note.... :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd say no, if there was something the Pixel offers that the Note doesn't. Be it screen size, ease of use... whatever...if one phone no longer cuts it, than it isn't a downgrade.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, a Pixel 5 would not be a downgrade. I am partial to Pixel phones because they just *work* for me and work well; however, I'm using an S10 now. It's hard to say definitively that the Pixel 5 wins out over the Note 10 line, because it's such a subjective choice. I'm saying it's the Pixel based on my own usage. But everyone's needs and preferences will vary.

Even spec-wise, I think the Pixel 5 is better. But even then, some may prioritize different things. Nothing is really black and white when it comes to smartphones.