The untold truth about the MT6592

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Shortly after the MT6592 started rolling out, people thought that Snapdragon 801 devices were far superior due to the higher AnTuTu score. But that was not entirely the case... After testing my Idol X+ (with the 2GHz MT6592) using various versions of AnTuTu, it turns out the Qualcomm was covering up their weak CPU performance with crazy high graphics scores. The MT6592 completely smokes the SD801 when it comes to CPU speed. In fact, newer phones like the LG G4 and HTC One M9 have weaker float performance than my phone (my phone also smokes the Note 4 on integer speed, but sadly not on float point speed). You guys may be asking why MT6592 phones are not as snappy as Snapdragon devices. The answer probably lies in the fact that most mediatek devices rely on the hotplug scaling governor, which can be quite stubborn and, in extremely rare cases, sluggish on octa-core devices. Also, at least in my case, the stock ROM comes with some small and nearly unnoticeable bugs and has strict thermal throttling. The stock ROM is also not optimised as well as on SD801 flagship devices. To put this all in a few words, the MT6592 wins the CPU race against the SD801, but utterly loses when it comes to graphics speed.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
While it's fun to see how a device fares on a bench mark, I have stopped putting any kind of consideration to them when it comes to purchase decisions. As long as the phone can do whatever I need to, I'm good.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I put consideration into both real-life performance AND benchmarks. Both are equally important. Some devices can have a high benchmark score but still be sluggish due to bad OS optimization. I really wonder why Qualcomm did not just make their own equivalent of the MT6592, but with a better GPU?

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Didn't the Snapdragon 801 and 805 use hotplugging to?

I've always been happier with Exynos poweringy phones anyway, since the Galaxy S2 :)

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Curious, how relevant a discussion is this today? Isn't the SD 801 4+ years old?

Do results of older processors readily translate to current production parts?

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand why in 2017 this is a meaningful discussion.
thanks

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Curious, how relevant a discussion is this today? Isn't the SD 801 4+ years old?

Do results of older processors readily translate to current production parts?

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand why in 2017 this is a meaningful discussion.
thanks
You are correct, it isn't a relevant discussion at all, I also wanted to say this in my post but did not know how to put it without sounding rude. :)

The 801 chip phones are not even being updated past Marshmallow as they do not have the correct drivers, Custom ROMs are the way to go for them now.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I know it is not that relevant, but my point is that this SoC (and many other ones made by MediaTek) are undermined by the majority of smartphone nerds. I know that MediaTek is not the best at choosing GPUs, but they should not be ridiculed and frowned upon, even thoigh Snapdragons always beat them on AnTuTu. The whole point of me starting this discussion was to make people aware that MediaTek chips are much better than most of us think. Also, the MT6592 is able to beat many newer SoCs from the lower 50% of the mid-range spectrum. I have seen across the internet how the words "cheap" and "trash" are used as synonyms for MediaTek and their chips, and that is unnaceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty