How long do you keep a phone?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a very nice six figure income. I could buy all the new smartphones as they come out. I can see zero reason to buy and take the time to keep switching phones. New phones just don't change that much, we are in the evolutionary stage not the revolutionary stage of smartphone development.
I don't disagree. I get each new smartphone for because of some feature I think I need. I always end up getting the new iPhone because my whole family and most of my coworkers have iPhones and I tell myself it's just easier. Then I invariably get bored with it and start the journey to find my favorite Droid. Tried the s8+ for the screen and all the bells and whistles then got tired of said screen and bells and whistles. I had the pixel because I thought I'd enjoy pure Android. And I did for a time. But it too got a bit boring and I felt like it was too simple. Conveniences and enhancements were just not there. I now have a Moto Z2 play. Mostly stock with some enhancements like Moto display and Moto actions. I just wish Lenovo was better about updates.

I still find reasons to switch. Like yesterday when I was convinced a 5.5" screen was too much and almost got a smaller phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a very nice six figure income. I could buy all the new smartphones as they come out. I can see zero reason to buy and take the time to keep switching phones. New phones just don't change that much, we are in the evolutionary stage not the revolutionary stage of smartphone development.

Feel the same way, the new offerings do nothing for me over my S7, probably will keep this one for years.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
On average I'd say every few months. However, over the last 1 1/2 years, I was in a service agreement with TMO. But even then, I still bought a couple phones throughout the time just to try then sold them.

I'm like you... I'm a phone junkie. The one difference though is that I like to buy flagship or "flagship killers" 6-8 months (or even a year) from their original launch. That way I have a better chance at breaking even or losing a small amount on the re-sale.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still have just about every phone I've owned going back to the iPhone 3GS. I like keeping them because I often go back to using one. Currently, I am using my Note 5 as my daily and my 6S+ in my car for music. I'm using my Note 4/note Edge as TV remotes and I still keep all three of my S7 edge phones charged and one of my three T-Mobile sims is in one of those.

Tomorrow, and one of my three sims may end up in other phones.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
...we're just seeing marginal improvements each year, nothing on the S8 is a "must have" for me, nothing on the S9 will be either so I'll just keep it...

...the curved screen marketing fad is not for me either...

This is the truth. Why people stand in line for hours for the next iPhone every year is beyond me. How manufacturers convince folks to shell out the money for a slight spec bump also boggles my mind.

I was ready to keep my Note 4 for as long as it would have allowed me, which was only a year because I replaced or three or four times. One of if not THE BEST smartphone I've ever had ironically.

I currently have a G6 because of its large narrow screen, expandable storage and water resistance. Everything the Note 5 didn't have.

I would have jumped on the Note 8 if it wasn't for the silly curved screen...SILLY... and placement of the fingerprint sensor...the price is a different story altogether. I don't understand the concept of a curved screen. Will this paradigm ever end???

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I still have just about every phone I've owned going back to the iPhone 3GS. I like keeping them because I often go back to using one. Currently, I am using my Note 5 as my daily and my 6S+ in my car for music. I'm using my Note 4/note Edge as TV remotes and I still keep all three of my S7 edge phones charged and one of my three T-Mobile sims is in one of those.

Tomorrow, and one of my three sims may end up in other phones.

You're awesome! Love that you keep all of your phones and alternate between them!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is the truth. Why people stand in line for hours for the next iPhone every year is beyond me. How manufacturers convince folks to shell out the money for a slight spec bump also boggles my mind.

I was ready to keep my Note 4 for as long as it would have allowed me, which was only a year because I replaced or three or four times. One of if not THE BEST smartphone I've ever had ironically.

I currently have a G6 because of its large narrow screen, expandable storage and water resistance. Everything the Note 5 didn't have.

I would have jumped on the Note 8 if it wasn't for the silly curved screen...SILLY... and placement of the fingerprint sensor...the price is a different story altogether. I don't understand the concept of a curved screen. Will this paradigm ever end???

I agree with you about people standing in line - I think it's all brand awareness; and many users want "the latest and greatest." Personally, I like trying different manufacturers every time k upgrade so I get a fuller (can't believe that's a real word lool) experience and so I'm not just grabbing the next iteration with a small spec bump, as you've said.

Plus, I am currently finding it really hard to pay flagship prices for phones when midrange or "flagship killers" give you almost the exact same experience at a fraction of the cost.

And yup, curved screens bother me as far as not being able to find the appropriate screen protector. It makes protecting the phone more complicated. My next phone will not have a curved edge!

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I used my HTC Thunderbolt for about 2.5 years till BB had a deal where the Note 2 was on sale for 100 bucks + 50 dollar GC. Used that for another 2 years till I got a Note 4. Still got the Thunderbolt and Note 2 sitting somewhere.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I don't keep them long enough. I've had my iPhone 7+ since around February, my S8 + arrived April 19. Yesterday I bought a Sony XA1 Ultra from BB to keep me occupied during the iPhone scramble of 2017. I'll have a new iPhone when I can walk in and walk out with it. No pre-ordering or waiting. I end up with more phones than one person can use.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Two to three years. Usually. Right now my Nexus 5 is limping, so it's my emergency backup phone. I replaced it in the short term with a Nextbit Robin, which will become a streaming conduit with Chromecast once I've moved in a week or so. Currently a brand new Blue Pixel XL that I expect to use for the next two to three years.

I didn't wait for the XL 2 because headphone jack. Guess I'll see what the 4, or maybe 5, is like in a few years.

ETA: typo