Is Pixel worth $550 brand new right now? Or something else on Verizon?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm in a situation where I cannot wait for the Pixel 2, I need a phone now. I'm thinking of picking up a Pixel but am wondering if the value is questionable right now with the Pixel 2 due to be released soon.

If going for the Pixel is a bad idea, which Verizon phone priced $25/mth or less (without a trade in) would you recommend? Smooth/reliable operation, good camera, and good battery are my priorities.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would say it is still worth it. Verizon doesn't have another device that I would be willing to pay that much for currently.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Why not pick up a cheap used phone on Swappa and wait for something you really want. Verizon always has really good black Friday deals. Personally I think $550 is a lot for an original Pixel.

Last edited:

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Definitely pick up something cheaper for the meantime on amazon, swappa or eBay. Why would you spend your money on something you only sort of want when what you really want is just a couple of months away? You'll be kicking yourself when the Pixel 2 is released

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Definitely pick up something cheaper for the meantime on amazon, swappa or eBay. Why would you spend your money on something you only sort of want when what you really want is just a couple of months away? You'll be kicking yourself when the Pixel 2 is released

I would actually prefer a cheaper Pixel to a more expensive Pixel 2. If I were to wait, it would only be to get the Pixel cheaper, not to buy a Pixel 2. So buying a cheap device to tide me over would sort of defeat the point of that.

EDIT: Also, I did go ahead and pick up the Pixel.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It will be a good phone but I can't buy a phone like the Pixel when the Pixel 2 is right around the corner.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It will be a good phone but I can't buy a phone like the Pixel when the Pixel 2 is right around the corner.

I would think that out of all phones, a phone like the Pixel would be the best type to buy when its replacement's launch is imminent, given Google's above average update period for Android devices.