Note 8 or lg v30

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Having not used the Note 8 much, I'll give you an observation based on the two weeks I had with a V30. It would have been a serious contender for phone off the year, but the camera was a big 'meh'. Takes great pictures in good light but falls on its face in lower light. Outside of that big weakness, the phone is killer.

I'm not a big pen person... I haven't written anything more than my name and to scratch down a food order. If I had a Note, it'd probably spend most of its life stowed. So, for me, I'd have to choose between an excellent camera vs saving a little bit of money.

I'd probably take the camera.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Looking for opinions. Trying to decide between Note 8 and lg v30 plus. Is the use of spen the difference in choosing between the 2?
I use My SPen all the time. Great to take Notes in One Note. After the meeting I can easily change the notes to tasks and assign them to my team.

I love my Note 8. Second Note phone I have owned. I also have 2 Note tablets. I find the Note phones to be the ultimate business phone.

The V30 looks like a great phone and if you have high quality audio files the quad DAC is great.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned a Samsung device myself, but I'd say the main differences would be Samsung's versus LG's operating system. Samsung and LG both carry some manufacturer-specific bloatware; but both are enjoyable skins to navigate.

I suggest checking them both out in your local carrier's shop or at a place like Best Buy and see what you like best about each! Also, I highly recommend GSM Arena's website: search your desired phone in the search bar and they'll tell you all the specs for the phone in question; which may help narrow down your decision.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Looking for opinions. Trying to decide between Note 8 and lg v30 plus. Is the use of spen the difference in choosing between the 2?
You cannot go wrong with either.

I am a Note8 user and the main draw for me is:
- SPen (and it's features) - I use this daily from extracting content to annotating
- Larger Display - I watch a ton of YouTube daily and a larger display with better quality is a big decision factor for me.
- DeX desktop station - I sometimes use the Note8 as a PC in my TV room if I leave my work laptop at work, which I sometimes do, I also use DeX to watch series and movies on my Note8 on my TV at home.

In all honesty, if you are not going to use the SPen and Camera is not a big draw for you then you should be looking at Galaxy S8+ and V30, not Note8. The Note8 is a niche device and if you are not going to take full advantage of what it offers then it would be a waste for you.

One thing you do need to keep in mind is that the Note8 does have a better quality OLED display than the V30, and due to the Note8 having 6GB RAM, it can hold more apps in its memory much longer and allow you to multitask longer.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'd choose Samsung because while they're both no Google, AFAIK Samsung, as bad as they are at it, are still better than LG in terms of updates. I've seen LG flagships that are 8mos behind on security updates. At least the worst for Samsung (barring carrier craziness) is 3-4mos AFAIK, and that only occurs when the time for launching the beta test for the next OS update is coming close.

That and things like SideSync and SmartSwitch makes Samsung my choice. SmartSwitch (paired with Helium and standard cloud) makes moving between Samsung phones easy even when unrooted. SmartSwitch also allows you to create backups of the device onto the SD card. SideSync allows me to control and view my phone contents on a PC or compatible Samsung tablet. This is the closest thing to proper syncing messages across devices for Android that I know of. Plus it helps with broken screens because once you've set it up before breaking the screen (hence set it up as soon as you have the phone running), SideSync can use your computer as display to retrieve your data even if the phone is locked since the phone pushes the display to a window on a PC for you to control with mouse and keyboard. You can use that to create an SD card SmartSwitch backup, and wipe the broken phone before sending it to the repair shop.

However, do realize that the LG has a wide angle camera, if that's important to you. I think the LG camera app also handles colors better (yellows seem washed out on pictures/video Samsung takes). It also has a much better DAC, so if you're an audiophile, it's gonna work better for your wired headphones (won't matter if you're using wireless). Plus it has a flat screen (selling point for a lot of people nowadays). It also has a 2 year warranty compared to Samsung's 1 year.

Basically hardware wise, LG is up there. Samsung just have better software options (for me), and (for what it's worth) slightly better update history.

dfaris

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
I love my V30, The camera and quad DAC makes the difference for me. I get really good pictures in all lighting conditions but I almost never use the auto mode. I love the graphy integration the LG has. You can load picture settings by viewing pictures made by pros. it works pretty well for me. I also never use a pen even on my surface pro.
I would say if you are going to hand write a lot of things get the samsung. If you listen to music and take pictures get the LG.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty