Don't you hate how narrow phones are getting?Galaxy s7 edge vs s8 comparison

samfile

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
3pOKffb.jpg
Before you say s8 has more screen no it does not have bigger screen it has just taller screen and everything is more narrow and smaller there

I don't know I feel phone manufactures don't ask people what they want they just do what they want or what Samsung does.I hate the 18:9 aspect ratio and I feel it makes phones very narrow also for movies and youtube watching I feel you get a smaller screen it does not make sense to me and it looks like that the 16:9 phones will disappear from the market but probably I believe the will return in the future...If this continues I will probably go and buy a iphone 8 plus in the future.

What do you think ?Do you agree with this trend?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a note 8 and I like this trend. Works better for email, browsing the web and what not. Of course it is worse for video not optimized for 18:9,but I suspect that there will slowly be video optimized for this arm

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Easier for one handed use. And since most of the content browsed on phones are scrolled up and down, this aspect ratio + high resolution shows more.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how I feel about the whole "devices are getting narrower" issue. On the one hand (lool pun not intended), I have smaller hands and try to use phones one-handed; but then again, depending on the overall height of the phone, sometimes one-handed use with a narrower but bigger phone may make things cumbersome.

samfile

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I have a note 8 and I like this trend. Works better for email, browsing the web and what not. Of course it is worse for video not optimized for 18:9,but I suspect that there will slowly be video optimized for this arm

I get that is more comfortable and can fit more content but everything is just smaller and narrower not the same size as before.The full screen option crops videos so not all videos will look good on landscape

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't like it, makes it harder to type. I was about to pick up a 7 plus instead and sell the s8. The Note 8 actually is much wider than the s8.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The 2:1 aspect ratio doesn't interest me yet... since there's not enough content to really matter. I worry more about screen-burn, and edge lines with those unused edges on the sides.

The bigger problem for me is the trend of bezel-less designs. I pretty much NEED bezels so I can wrap my fingers around the device and hold onto it without dropping.

My cousin just got a note-8, I was playing around with it last weekend... No way, I'd KILL it in a week. He did have a nice case on it though but still... not my preference overall.

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
For me the Note 5 had the best form factor.

Not necessarily the best device as I believe with the 5 Samsung began the deprecation of the Note line.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Don't you hate how narrow phones are getting?"

Yes, yes and YES! I wish they would just stick to good ol' 16:9, but it looks like it has ended really quickly.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The narrowing may be an optical illusion.
The phones are not getting narrower. They are getting longer while the width remains the same.
For movie viewing, any movie not in a 18:9 format just adds black margins on the long ends.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The phones are not getting narrower. They are getting longer while the width remains the same.
For movie viewing, any movie not in a 18:9 format just adds black margins on the long ends.
Nope. They're narrower. Played around with an S8. It's got a 5.8 inch screen, so if it didn't get narrower, then it should be wider than my S7 Edge. It's not. The screen is narrower for the length. Sure both point of views are correct in a way though. You could view it as a 5inch screen stretched taller, or a 5.8 inch screen with a narrower width. Endpoint is the same.

samfile

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

It is narrower and it's the same size as a s7 edge I hate it personally

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
No illusion to it - they ARE narrower in dimensions. And I hate this narrow format. I greatly prefer the wider (original) format.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They aren't narrower, they are taller. In all fairness, you are comparing the bigger S7 model to the smaller S8. Compare the S8+ with the S7 Edge, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member