Android Oreo Questions

anon(10300249)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
How does Android Oreo work? Does it shut off apps which were opened, but then closed and screen was turned off? Because as far as I remember in older version of Androids like kitkat if u would open app, then close or minimize and even turn off screen, app was still running unless u would clear off cache by swiping off those apps with finger or just press "cleaner/booster".

For example if I will open Google News, then press Home button & turn off my screen and after few minutes open my phone screen again and press recent apps it will show me that it's still there opened, but will this also mean that it's running in background? Or Oreo will be smart and think that it's not necessary to leave app in background and will disable it itself?

My main goal for these questions is should I clear cache all the time before turning off my screen so apps aren't running which I don't want to run or Oreo will take care of them?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don’t have Oreo, but in Android OS in general, press Back to close an app, rather than Home.
There is no need for cleaner/booster apps, since the OS is designed to take care of such things.

anon(10300249)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
I don’t have Oreo, but in Android OS in general, press Back to close an app, rather than Home.
There is no need for cleaner/booster apps, since the OS is designed to take care of such things.

I don't have any third party cleaner/booster app. I was speaking about phone's default cleaner/booster or whatever is it, when u click on "X" and it removes apps which are opened and minimized.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Android does not have any cleaner/booster apps by default. They all work against the way the OS is designed.

If you use the "back" button (arrow) to exit the app, the app is no longer running. This is probably what you are looking for.

If you use the "home" button to switch to a different app, the previous app is still running. If the OS needs the memory for something else, the old app may be swapped out. The apps are supposed to remember their last state so that the user can continue from where he left off.

In addition to the apps the user interacts with, many apps also use background services, which are always running.

Clearing the cache (app or system) is a very different thing. It is about managing app data and storage space. Not the same as memory space (RAM).

anon(10300249)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Android does not have any cleaner/booster apps by default. They all work against the way the OS is designed.

If you use the "back" button (arrow) to exit the app, the app is no longer running. This is probably what you are looking for.

If you use the "home" button to switch to a different app, the previous app is still running. If the OS needs the memory for something else, the old app may be swapped out. The apps are supposed to remember their last state so that the user can continue from where he left off.

In addition to the apps the user interacts with, many apps also use background services, which are always running.

Clearing the cache (app or system) is a very different thing. It is about managing app data and storage space. Not the same as memory space (RAM).

My phone comes with cleaner/booster because it's not stock android, but manufacurer's MIUI. That cleaner is different from the cleaner I am talking about. Let me show you so you understand it better:

qCR2ETp.png

But this isn't the cleaner I was talking about. I'm talking about another cleaner where you swipe up to remove opened apps and I'm pretty sure all phones has it, because my old Lenovo A6000 plus also had it.

If I use back button it doesn't exit app like it was doing on my old phone. I still can see it opened there if I click "recent apps/menu button".

Let me show what I'm talking about:

jRnx4iw.jpg

I'm talking about this button which removes those opened apps from there and if I add cleaner widget it does same. It's just shortcut of this thing, but I'm doing it by pressing menu button and clicking on that "x". So what is it? clearing cache or what? and should I always use it before turning off screen or no? I don't want opened apps to drain battery more.

Can someone explain be better what's the difference between those two and if I should both and how often and etc...?