Google Unknownly Tracking You

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I read that article and didn't see the issue once I got to:

"If you toggle off “Web and App Activity,” which is enabled by default, Google will no longer be able to store a snapshot of where you’ve been from Maps data and browser searches that pinpoint your exact GPS coordinates.

As long as the Web and App Activity setting is enabled, Google will store your time-stamped location data. You can manually delete this data by heading into myactivity.google.com and clicking on specific geo-stamped entries. You can also delete batches of entries sorted by date or web service."

I mean.. hit the toggle if it's an issue.

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course Google uses location data, how do you think Maps works.

If you don't want ANY cell service to know your location turn off the phone

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can see some benefit to this (aside from using Google Maps every day) - location-specific ads are oftentimes beneficial for me.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Google is tracking users locations? So is Facebook, Twitter and a bunch of others, that cat noise app is likely doing it as well.

What bothers me more is when I had the Facebook app on my phone and would be talking about things (not searching) and then there would be ads about those items on Facebook. That's dodgy.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Google is tracking users locations? So is Facebook, Twitter and a bunch of others, that cat noise app is likely doing it as well.

What bothers me more is when I had the Facebook app on my phone and would be talking about things (not searching) and then there would be ads about those items on Facebook. That's dodgy.

Facebook has done that kind of thing to me before, as well. Suddenly, I see ads for things that I'd never searched for before...

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Facebook has done that kind of thing to me before, as well. Suddenly, I see ads for things that I'd never searched for before...
Yeah I have uninstalled the app from my phone. I use the browser now. I have no doubt they are listening to conversations for key words for ads. I don't need that type of surveillance, that's beyond creepy,especially as it's underhand. Oddly nothing is mentioned, Google seems to be the fad baddie for the media just now.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have uninstalled the app from my phone. I use the browser now. I have no doubt they are listening to conversations for key words for ads. I don't need that type of surveillance, that's beyond creepy,especially as it's underhand. Oddly nothing is mentioned, Google seems to be the fad baddie for the media just now.

Using the browser works just as well! Good for you! :)

Yup, sometimes Facebook surprises me with the things it knows about me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa