Question about SwiftKey!?

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I have a question for you seasoned Android users. For whatever reason i know i type correctly but with SwiftKey,the continuous touch typing errors are driving me bonkers. I fiddled with the settings and the same level of typing mistakes still occurs. BUT using gboard, NADA no issue. I originally was so PUT OFF by this I went to a BlackBerry K2. I'm now back to a slab and loving how fast the HUAWEI P30 pro is ace. Is it just me or is anyone else having issues with typing accuracy with SWIFTKEY!?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Remember that Swiftkey learns your typing patterns too (you can see the typing heatmap in the app), so it actually adjusts itself to how you type. Problem is, if you change your typing habits or it 'learned' at one size and you change the size or your screen changes, it's still auto-adjusting.
You might need to reset your SwiftKey account to 'start from scratch' if you're having issues (but definitely report it).

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks i didn't know this. Swift key has always given me issues and gboard no mistakes maybe a few but none to write home about. Thanks I'll reset it and see how it works.
Remember that Swiftkey learns your typing patterns too (you can see the typing heatmap in the app), so it actually adjusts itself to how you type. Problem is, if you change your typing habits or it 'learned' at one size and you change the size or your screen changes, it's still auto-adjusting.
You might need to reset your SwiftKey account to 'start from scratch' if you're having issues (but definitely report it).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks i didn't know this. Swift key has always given me issues and gboard no mistakes maybe a few but none to write home about. Thanks I'll reset it and see how it works.

Before doing that (to avoid losing your data), just try clearing the keyboard's data from the app manager and just don't sign into your account (yet). Try it out for a couple of days and see if it makes it better. If it does, chances are it's your typing map adjusting.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I find just the opposite. I put Swiftkey on a new pone the minute I get to the point that I can. (I still can't swipe worth a darn - on any keyboard.) But Gboard is a bit too small for me. Maybe from years of using physical keyboards, and Gboard not having any real "key" delineations.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
OK so ive now gone in and reset it I'm gonna give it a second chance. For me uts tye auto correct feature that is giving me grief. It does seem to be better having auto correct turned off.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Auto-correct (replace word by pressing the space bar) is the first thing I turn off on all keyboards.
Word prediction at the top of the keyboard is something I live for.

SwiftKey is my long-term keyboard of choice.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes I turned that off as it kept on auto entering strings of text. I'm slowly figuring this out. One feature I do like is when you do spell something incorrect. It auto snaps to the correct word. I like that feature.
Auto-correct (replace word by pressing the space bar) is the first thing I turn off on all keyboards.
Word prediction at the top of the keyboard is something I live for.

SwiftKey is my long-term keyboard of choice.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I type slow enough that the word prediction works great as a spell check in that I need to type only half the word most of the time.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I type slow enough that the word prediction works great as a spell check in that I need to type only half the word most of the time.
Same here!

I love SwiftKey!

Although, as others have mentioned, I have never been able to master the swipe technique, so I just type and use the Word Prediction features.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
But I realize now a lot of my issues lies in having auto correct turned on. It started to insert strings of text. Even more annoying than typing errors. Am I the only one experiencing this? I do looove the auto snap word prediction tho.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Again I've given it a go and it was an epic fail for me. I'm stilll getting touch typing errors despite the fact I know I'm typing right. It's driving me bonkers. Gboard does not give me any grief and seems to be more accurate. I've decided to drop SwiftKey,it simply DOES NOT work for me. I'm really not sure why Swiftkey does this with my typing style?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd use GBoard but it still works funky when it comes to predicting emojis (as in barely works), not as good as SwiftKey when it comes to mixing languages, and definitely swyping separate words by just hovering over the space bar is also something that GBoard lacks.

Maybe I don't notice the typing mishaps from SwiftKey because it's usually good enough to correct to what I meant to type.

Oh, and of course, the cherry on top: GBoard can't sync across devices on Samsung ones with Secure Folder present. #stoopid

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I've used both and SwiftKey gives me endless grief.I know i type correctly,SwiftKey just never registers with the correct wording. However gboard for me gives me better text output.