I'm somewhat over this addiction. I don't need to have the latest...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I still use my 2.5 year old Note8. Honestly, most of the new phones haven't been that tempting to me. I feel that phones have already matured long ago to the point where a phone like the Note8 or 9 just ages far more gracefully.

There are some nice stuff in the new phones like the cameras, but one of my best purchases last year was the Fujifilm X-T3 with 2 lenses. I am a bit of a photography nerd/enthusiast and that really helped propel my photographic hobby. The S20 Ultra, Pixel 4 and iPhone 11 Pro have excellent phone cameras, but I've long felt that the Note8's shooter was just fine for what I use it for.

GalaxyNote8-Dandelion-small.jpg

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to be better about it. The order of my phones went:

Motorola V100
Sidekick LX
Nokia e62
iPhone 3G
Note 2
Note 4
S8
S9
Note 9
S20 Ultra + Pixel 3XL

Of course I had phones before those, like Nokias and Ericssons (I'm 39), but those were ones I remember just really loving. Notice the long gaps without an upgrade early on...followed by yearly upgrades =\. I used to be better, and I feel like I've finally owned enough phones to know exactly what I want in order to be fully content...for at least 2 years at a time.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I still use my 2.5 year old Note8. Honestly, most of the new phones haven't been that tempting to me. I feel that phones have already matured long ago to the point where a phone like the Note8 or 9 just ages far more gracefully.

There are some nice stuff in the new phones like the cameras...

This is why most do upgrade because of the camera, which I am not a fan of and don't understand but that's what makes it even worst because clearly I have no reason to really upgrade.

I'm not gonna go far back as the Note 8 but I love the OnePlus 7 Pro, really wished I kept it.

I can say the same for my new Huawei P30 Pro and now I'm certain I will keep it for a long time. Not the usually 4-6 months I kept a flagship. LOL

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
We've hit peak smartphone. And almost every reviewer is so jaded now.

Agreed. I watch reviews to see how the phones work and to know their specs - but I very often don't buy in to reviewers when they start to mention their opinions or how they think the device is compared to other phones. Best to take that with a grain of salt, especially since they have their own sets of biases about platforms and manufacturers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I watch reviews to see how the phones work and to know their specs - but I very often don't buy in to reviewers when they start to mention their opinions or how they think the device is compared to other phones. Best to take that with a grain of salt, especially since they have their own sets of biases about platforms and manufacturers.

A review without bias is just the spec sheet though.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I've been skeptical ever since all the reviews basically ended with, "it's a great phone, and it's really up to you to decide what OS you want to deal with...because this phone is great, just like phones x, y and z".

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the price factor, it's hard to find a device that isn't "just another slab"

That’s like saying any car is just another 4 wheeled vehicle.

I get what you’re saying, and I certainly don’t buy into the hype of “latest and greatest”, but there is variety at the affordable level.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
This is why most do upgrade because of the camera, which I am not a fan of and don't understand but that's what makes it even worst because clearly I have no reason to really upgrade.

I'm not gonna go far back as the Note 8 but I love the OnePlus 7 Pro, really wished I kept it.

I can say the same for my new Huawei P30 Pro and now I'm certain I will keep it for a long time. Not the usually 4-6 months I kept a flagship. LOL

When purchasing a new smartphone I look for the "complete" package so camera(s) being a big part of that (for me) they've always weighed in quite heavily during my purchasing decisions. But when we bought the P20 Pro will say the camera(s) were essentially our main focus LOL. Absolutely no regrets as I'm still using faithfully after 2-years seeing little to no reason to upgrade for the camera(s) alone, even performance wise have little to complain about.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I used to be better about it. The order of my phones went:

Motorola V100
Sidekick LX
Nokia e62
iPhone 3G
Note 2
Note 4
S8
S9
Note 9
S20 Ultra + Pixel 3XL

Of course I had phones before those, like Nokias and Ericssons (I'm 39), but those were ones I remember just really loving. Notice the long gaps without an upgrade early on...followed by yearly upgrades =\. I used to be better, and I feel like I've finally owned enough phones to know exactly what I want in order to be fully content...for at least 2 years at a time.

Man, Nokia made some great smartphones. I loved the N-Series, and had a couple before the N Series that were just numbered like their non-smartphones, but I have a soft spot for my e71. I don't know why, but I loved that phone so much.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When purchasing a new smartphone I look for the "complete" package so camera(s) being a big part of that (for me) they've always weighed in quite heavily during my purchasing decisions. But when we bought the P20 Pro will say the camera(s) were essentially our main focus LOL. Absolutely no regrets as I'm still using faithfully after 2-years seeing little to no reason to upgrade for the camera(s) alone, even performance wise have little to complain about.

The P20 line was phenomenal - I remember wanting one! So glad you are still enjoying it!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Man, Nokia made some great smartphones. I loved the N-Series, and had a couple before the N Series that were just numbered like their non-smartphones, but I have a soft spot for my e71. I don't know why, but I loved that phone so much.
Yoooo, I have an E71 as well.
E71-Front-2S.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I loved the camera on the e71! It was so much better than those on other phones at the time.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
That’s like saying any car is just another 4 wheeled vehicle.

I get what you’re saying, and I certainly don’t buy into the hype of “latest and greatest”, but there is variety at the affordable level.
Lol, if you want to use the vehicle analogy, the current smartphone market is similar to having nothing but mid size sedans on the road.
No pickups, no trucks, no coupes, no convertibles, no SUV's

Just one size fits all mid size sedans...

That's what it feels like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87