Use with no wifi?

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I figure I already know the answer to this.
Can this be used without wifi? It seems like Google forgets that that not everyone has, needs or wants, wifi at all times. I would buy five of these right now if I could use it without wifi. Be able to ditch the crappy bluetooth reciever in my car. Go to a friends house and crank it in the field, background music at the lake. And many other times.

Posted via the AC app with my antique G3

Vstone

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
The whole point of this device is streaming over WiFi. Sounds like what you want is just a cable to connect the headphone jack to your car.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I know. But I have a wifi hotspot on my phone. With no data service it should create a local area network. So I should be able to stream over the wifi network.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I know. But I have a wifi hotspot on my phone. With no data service it should create a local area network. So I should be able to stream over the wifi network.

But your phone is still using carrier network when your hotspot is on. All the hotspot does is allow other devices to use your device as the gateway out to the internet.

Evgeshais300

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Technically you can. 1 phone to create a hotspot network, a chromecast and another phone to use that network for audio streaming and control of chromecast.

Content stored locally on 2nd phone should be streamable to chromecast via 3rd party apps. No data charges apply.

Anything in the cloud all data charges will apply to phone 1 since chromecast will be using it to connect to ISP.

You can't do it with 1 phone only, since you can't create a network and connect to it at the same time.

This should work if hotspot creates full on network where all devices on network can talk to each other, not just device -> hotspot -> ISP .

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

chaseman28

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping the new Chromecast Audio would work without internet as well. It's not outrageous; it would be much better than a 3.5mm audio cable or the cheap Bluetooth receiver dongle I currently use. I'm sure someone could find a way to make this work with WiFi Direct.

Vstone

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Technically this should be easy for an ad hoc network, but. I doubt the software for either your phone or the Comcast Audio unit support ad hoc networks.