Static and popping

NCchrisSU

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm loving the new Chromecast Audio, except for one detail.... I find that that there is a lot of popping and static happening. It's not really noticeable when the music is playing, but when I turn off the music or it is between songs it is very noticeable and annoying. Has anyone else noticed this? It's happening to both of my Chromecast Audios and I'm using the cords supplied with the device. Any suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I love it! Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Nate Meyer1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have the exact same thing. I posted something in the /r/chromecast subreddit.

I'm getting popping, and static when there is no music playing (it also is happening when music is playing, but harder to hear obviously).

I don't know what the fix is. I've tried multiple stereo systems as well.

I did recently find this FAQ on the Chromecast Audio page:

When there is no music playing, I am hearing a popping sound coming from my speakers after connecting Chromecast Audio. How can I fix this?
If you are hearing audio popping or distortions from your speaker, make sure the Chromecast Audio is plugged into the wall using the provided USB power cable and power supply. If that doesn’t work, try using longer cables to create distance between the Chromecast Audio and the speaker it is connected to.

Nate Meyer1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I was messing with mine again. I don't get any popping or static when using the wall outlet. I am getting it using a USB cigarette adapter (I have a diy boombox).

Nate Meyer1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It didn't work for me. I moved my CA away from the amp, and speaker, and no go.

I now understand what my problem is. I am suffering from a ground loop. Since my AMP, and CA are using the same power source (battery, or even BOTH behind the ac/dc adapter), it's creating a ground loop, causing the popping and static. If I put one device on it's own power source, (ex: usb battery bank) then all is fine.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NK01UK