*SOLVED* Problem: "No big deal, but your Wi-Fi is off"

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Chromecast is working perfectly on my wireless laptop as well as my phone, but my main desktop, which is wired to my wireless Linksys WRT54GL router, pops up the topic message when I try to run the app.

I have been reading that other people with similar setups are not having this issue.

Anyone know what is going on and how to fix this?

UPDATE: Called Google and they said the device will not work on a system that is not using wi-fi connectivity to the router.

SOLVED: My work VPN was preventing access.

Last edited:

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Problem: "No big deal, but your Wi-Fi is off"

Is your Chromecast already setup for use?

If "yes" then there's no need to run the setup program again. You just use the "Chromecast Extension" to send pages to Cast.

If "no" then run the setup from a wireless device and not a wired device.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Neal, I mentioned in my OP that Chromecast works perfectly with my phone and laptop. So yes, it has been setup.

The device does not show up in the extension on my desktop system. Is does on my laptop however.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

Not really a help, but I'll mention that everything is working great on my desktop, but cast functions are not working on my wife's laptop. I haven't had time to troubleshoot the problem yet, but there ya go.

kuykendallc

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

I believe all devices have to be on the same subnet for them to see each other. With your desktop wired, it is possible it's on a different subnet.

Posted via Android Central App

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

It shouldnt be on a different subnet unless he set it up that way.

baldbear

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Neal, I mentioned in my OP that Chromecast works perfectly with my phone and laptop. So yes, it has been setup.

The device does not show up in the extension on my desktop system. Is does on my laptop however.

You need to install the Chromecast PLUG-IN not the Chromecast Setup on your wired desktop. I am using my wired desktop right now with my Chromecast and it sees it just fine. (but if I run that Chromecast program it tells me I have no wireless).

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: *UPDATED* Problem: "No big deal, but your Wi-Fi is off"

Anyone know what is going on and how to fix this?

UPDATE: Called Google and they said the device will not work on a system that is not using wi-fi connectivity to the router.

This doesn't seem right....

I hooked mine up today and connected it to the network and all computers (laptop on Wifi / Desktop wired) all connect to the Chromecast. I just casted a webpage from the wired desktop and it appears normally.

Strange....

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

You need to install the Chromecast PLUG-IN not the Chromecast Setup on your wired desktop. I am using my wired desktop right now with my Chromecast and it sees it just fine. (but if I run that Chromecast program it tells me I have no wireless).

The Chrome extension on my desktop does not see a device. Laptop does, PC does not.

SOLVED: My work vpn was preventing access.

Jay Alexander13

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
FYI for everyone...I' have had Chromcast (or Google cast depending on what you want to call it) since it basically came out and a few things I have noticed... 1 it likes 2.4 GHz over 5 GHz 2. it will work on wired connection even though some of Google's employees will say different. 3 From time to time you can and will get a grey'd out Chromcast button the easiest way to fix it delete extension and re-install