Has anyone tried this new app called Cheapcast?

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would I post this here since it sort of is in reference to the Chromecast device! Since not everyone can get a Chromecast widely available yet, this dev has created an app that can be used similar to what Chromecast can do.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=at.maui.cheapcast&token=wNTsz2gp

Options below:

1.Connect between 2 android devices, basically setting up a phone and tablet and using the phone as remote, then use your tablet to play Youtube videos or Google music.( Netflix may be supported at some point!)
2. Connect between 2 android devices, basically setting up a phone and tablet using the micro hdmi cable and link to your hdmi port on your TV if you choose to do it this way. Then it provides the same as above step 1.

The app is in beta of course and will take some fiddling with, but it does work eventually! Last night I tried to use it between setting up my Galaxy Note 1 as the remote, then setup my Galaxy Note 2 as the receiver and played Youtube videos between the 2 devices on my wifi network and was left somewhat impressed how the app works!

I wanted to do a simple How-To since the app from the Google Play Store somewhat lacks no detail setup instructions on how to use this app! Especially that some people may have issues in setting this app up? I know I did at first!!!

***Key Point---For now I know this app works only on android devices at that moment!***

1. Make sure your android devices are on the same wifi connection between both the device you plan to use as remote device (phone,tablet) and the receiver (tablet, other phone) to connect the 2 devices correctly.
2. Download the app on the other device (this becomes your receiver device) you plan to use to show the ie;" Youtube" video on.
3. Next go into the Cheapcast app and edit the Friendly name(if you want to change the name) of the service that ChromeCast apps will show up on.
4. Run the Cheapcast service (press the play button on the upper right corner of the app) on the receiver device to have the video or other services from the remote device (phone) to be displayed on.
5. Start the app on the remote device (phone, tablet) ie; Youtube video and then look for the play-to icon near the upper right corner (may display icon differently depending on your device type).
6. The devices should connect and running on the receiver should display or play the service that is being sent to the device.

If anyone is trying this app and still has issues getting it setup to run for them on their devices. Leave a comment below and I will help troubleshoot or ask any questions if I can help! I will try to answer questions as fast I can get to them.

Continue development on this app could bring some real potential to the game with other devs(apps) working with this app and I like to see how far development could go with the Chromecast device as well?

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the idea of Cheapcast. I just can't think of why anyone would want to connect your Android phone as a remote control to watch a casted YouTube video on your android tablet. Granted my tablet is a Nexus 7 but why would I be out of arms length of the tablet if I was looking at a YouTube video? What am I missing here?

Myles Harding

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I can cast to my phone from my computer, but I am having difficulty with the Samsung Tab 2 (v4.1.1). When I open the Google Cast extensions, it isn't listed. The device is also not visible from my phone. I believe that this may be a network issue, because I have a dual band router and I can only see one of the networks on the Tab 2. Any troubleshooting tips are appreciated.

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I respect what you are stating in regards to this post! I would see some benefit like say you have an older device that you like to get some extended use out of. Your in kitchen cooking supper and there may a particular video you want to watch but on the bigger screen instead. Now remember everyone does not have access to ChromeCast yet. Not everyone will use Miracast, wireless methods and so on, not fully proficient yet! Look at it this way, many years ago everyone did not have remote to control their TV sets and now they do. Also with this app could be used in the same manner as providing as a remote for the tablet without having to stop doing whatever you may being doing.

Last edited:

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried the app with a computer yet! Only with android devices I have on hand with me. I would suggest making sure all devices your testing with are all set to use 2.4g spectrum of your network. Then go onto your tablet open settings and tell the tablet to forget the current wifi connection, then reboot your tablet. Open your wifi settings and connect to your 2.4g band and try again and see if this helps out.

docbeatle

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes,

I got it working last night. Works great with Youtube (the only app I've tried so far). Installed Cheapcast on an old deactivated EVO 3D from the Play store, and installed Chromecast on my GS4 with both connected to my WiFi network. Connected the EVO 3D to an MHL to HDMI cable to the TV. Start the Cheapcast service and run Chromecast and let it find the Cheapcast device. Select it in Youtube and play. It's that easy.

Now just waiting on my back-ordered dongle.

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the idea of Cheapcast. I just can't think of why anyone would want to connect your Android phone as a remote control to watch a casted YouTube video on your android tablet. Granted my tablet is a Nexus 7 but why would I be out of arms length of the tablet if I was looking at a YouTube video? What am I missing here?

Someone that has one of those cheap android sticks/set top boxes could potentially benefit from something like this.

baldypal

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

There are a lot of 10 inch tablets and some old phones with HDMI output. Like I use cheapcast to my old Xoom and connect it to tv.

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I've got this installed on a RockChip 809 Android stick, which was pretty much useless before, and now I can cast Youtube video, Play Music.

It works really well, but at the moment doesn't do Netflix( I assume for DRM reasons) and you can't cast a Chrome Tab.

Other than that it has given me a good idea what a Chromecast will be like when the UK finally gets a supply.

Must say the experience just with YouTube makes it worthwhile.

IsraelGlz

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have tried to use the app on my Samsung Galaxy S3 android v4.3 and my nexus 7 (2013) v4.4, I have followed your setup guide but I have not been able to cast anything.

What I have done is:
I turn on a hotspot in the Samsung Galaxy S3
Connect the tablet to it
I run the app on the S3 to be the receiver
Start the server
Wait for a few seconds. I can see the icon of the cheapcast been placed at the left top corner of the screen
I run the app on the Nexus 7
Start the server
Again the icon appears on the left top corner of the nexus screen
Open google play on N7 and I can see the cast button on the right top corner as soon as I play the song.
Press the icon but the only device that appear on the list is the same cheapcast_N7 device.

From that point anything happens. If I press the name on the list, it open's the google headphones as if it is waiting for the song to be received, but i am not streaming anything from the S3.

If I try to do the same but been the N7 the receiver on the S3 I can not see the icon on the right top corner when I launch the google play app.

Any suggestions?