Chromecast is a waste of money when I have PS3, HTPC, Roku, and Chromebook all hooked up to the TV.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing you do t have the 60gb backward compatible PS3. Just being able to stream Netflix/YouTube without the noisy fans going was a plus for me.

glrobin

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTPC, a Roku, and a Seagate box - and don't see myself getting rid of them real soon - - but STILL prefer my Chromecast when watching YouTube. And I would not be surprised if, in the next year, the Chromecast will get many apps and possibly do away with one or more of my current boxes.
I think the Chromecast may have a bright future.
BTW, a friend of mine is going to buy a Chromecast when they become available to just use with his current Netflix account IN THE UTILITY room just because it's cheaper than buying a second Roku box - AND in many ways more flexible!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I felt that way too, and may not have bought it (yet) if I didn't get the Netflix promo. Knowing what I know now I would have bought it for $35 even without the promo. I love my Roku but (as you no doubt know) the workarounds for YouTube on Roku are not exactly elegant. I hope that Google can avoid the issue that Roku ran into with HBOgo for Comcast subscribers. I especially like the fact that CC is/will be device/OS agnostic and open source.
I missed the 24 hour Netflix promo. Otherwise it may have been an impulse buy at eleven bucks net. However, having missed the promo, and already having a Roku for Netflix, and not being able to use a Chromecast on the typical hotel network when I travel, there's no rush now. I may end up with one eventually, but unlikely to happen before Black Friday. :D :D

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
sold my $0 Chromecast for $40... posted it on the local Craigslist and a guy responded the next day. Met him at the local courthouse(next to my office). $40 cash and he didn't even want the box. :) It's amazing what these young college kids are willing to pay for gadgets.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
sold my $0 Chromecast for $40... posted it on the local Craigslist and a guy responded the next day. Met him at the local courthouse(next to my office). $40 cash and he didn't even want the box. :) It's amazing what these young college kids are willing to pay for gadgets.

40 dollars is not amazing that is called retail. Had you sold for a 100 like others had on ebay......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Chromecast the day after it was released. I paid around $25 cash after a Best Buy RewardZone certificate. After redeeming the 3-month free Netflix, the Chromecast was effectively free to me. (except the $2.31 sales tax that i had to pay)

I used it for about a week. After that, it's been sitting on the back of my TV doing absolutely nothing. :( It's the same TV that I have my PS3, HTPC, Roku, and Chromebook all hooked up to....

I really hope to find a use for it... but can't really think of anything.... Am I the only one in this situation?

I discovered I could stream youtube vids that are normally blocked from any portable device or console youtube apps (only playable on desktop browser) that I can now stream to my TV finally. Big plus and cool discovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Chromecast the day after it was released. I paid around $25 cash after a Best Buy RewardZone certificate. After redeeming the 3-month free Netflix, the Chromecast was effectively free to me. (except the $2.31 sales tax that i had to pay)

I used it for about a week. After that, it's been sitting on the back of my TV doing absolutely nothing. :( It's the same TV that I have my PS3, HTPC, Roku, and Chromebook all hooked up to....

I really hope to find a use for it... but can't really think of anything.... Am I the only one in this situation?

Yeah I see your point. At 35 bucks I fall short of calling it a "waste of money" though. I enjoy watching Breaking Bad and Orange is the new Black in bed now. I intended to buy another ASUS cube for the bedroom so I saved some money that way.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

If you only have the one TV and had all that stuff already then maybe the Chromecast was not necessary, however getting to something on the Roku takes a bit of time and who knows someday you might get a second TV and the Chromecast is quite a bit less expensive than buying another Roku, another PS/3, Chromebook, etc for the second TV. I have a Google TV which is severely limited and a Roku tied to my 2nd TV. I was going to get a Roku for the TV my wife primarily uses but then Chromecast came out. Bingo, it just shipped and will be here tomorrow so I hope to have it up and running tomorrow night.

Mike

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation, the Roku 3 and the Vizio apps have streaming covered nicely.

I bought the CC because Comcast blocks HBO Go via the Roku so I was hoping to get rid of the long HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV. Unfortunately the tab casting feature is still pretty far from perfect (or even 'good', for that matter) so I'm stuck. We'll see if Comcast sticks their noses in the CC as well once the HBO Go app is released, fingers crossed!