Leaving Blackberry for N1 and Android!!!

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
First off a little history. I've been a Blackberry fan for years now and a crackberry.com daily abuser. Enough said.

Well I have been looking at Android really hard know for the last couple of weeks and have to say I am impressed with the OS. So frustrated with Blackberry and there aging OS and silly atempts to compete with other smart phones. Dont get me wrong, I love Blackberry but enough is enough. Disappointed with RIM to the point where I want to venture out. Well my frustrations go on but who wants to listen.... right.

I'm on ATT network and I hate Apple so I refuse to get the I-phone 4. I dont understand why ATT doesnt have any Android devices but sure there are some politics that go along with that. My only option at this point is to get a Nexus 1. My question is, is there going to be a newer version of the nexus 1 coming out anytime soon or should I wait for a future rumored Android device? I've seen some reviews on the device but want to know your honest opinion on the Nexus 1. Does it run on 3G? Is it getting Froyo? I believe thats what its called.

I guess what I'm trying to say is will I get my bang for my buck? Sorry for my life story and rambling, have so many questions but will take a step at a time. Again I am a NOOB to Android so dont be to harsh. Thanks for the help in advance. Can't wait to jump ship..:)

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Nexus One will be the first Android device to get Froyo, it's Google's direct from the horse's mouth phone. That's the main advantage of the N1.

Of course it does 3G. Pick your poison, AT&T or T-Mobile. Both are offered fully unlocked. I'm personally on the T-Mobile version because when you bring your own device, the non-contract rates are cheaper than the on contract prices. With T-Mobile you also have the option to purchase the subsidized (still fully unlocked) on contract version, but you'll be on contract for 2 years at a higher rate plan than the no contract plans.

I'd say no need to wait around for a future version of Android devices. The top dogs right now are the N1 (AT&T or T-Mobile), EVO (Sprint), or Incredible (Verizon). Either one are outstanding devices.

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Nexus One will be the first Android device to get Froyo, it's Google's direct from the horse's mouth phone. That's the main advantage of the N1.

Of course it does 3G. Pick your poison, AT&T or T-Mobile. Both are offered fully unlocked. I'm personally on the T-Mobile version because when you bring your own device, the non-contract rates are cheaper than the on contract prices. With T-Mobile you also have the option to purchase the subsidized (still fully unlocked) on contract version, but you'll be on contract for 2 years at a higher rate plan than the no contract plans.

I'd say no need to wait around for a future version of Android devices. The top dogs right now are the N1 (AT&T or T-Mobile), EVO (Sprint), or Incredible (Verizon). Either one are outstanding devices.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Well I just got a new 2 year contract with Att and not looking to sign up again. I signed up about 6 months ago. I will most definitely get the N1 unless there is something new rumored to hit ATT within the next month which is better than the N1.

Will it get Android 2.2 or is that froyo? Anybody?

My wife is going to kill me when she finds out I'm getting a new phone!! :D :eek:

resplendent2209

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
N1 will be the first device to get Android 2.2 which is code named "Froyo".

I got my N1 yesterday and enjoying the Android experience. I come from N900/N97 and I am happy that i made a wiser move :D

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Had Blackberries for six years and the NI will do everything my BB's did and more. I have Gmail and Google calendar, so this is perfect for me. The only thing I can think of is how the N1 pushes other email accounts. May want to see if anyone replys to that and I think there are ways around it. Like Yahoo for example. I don't know much about that.

But, everything else is awesome. And when 2.2 is out and you have flash you will be in heaven. Also, a lot of people root these phones and put even more improved and versatile ROM's on it.

I don't know about all touchscreens, but the keyboard on the N1 is as good as the iphone. What I really like and is overlooked, is that it has a trackball also. I love that when selecting smaller links etc on web pages. Apps for this are awesome. I will probably root eventually, but scary for me. But, when rooted you can do full image backups. Otherwise, there are backup apps you can get for backing up your data and apps.

Ken

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Had Blackberries for six years and the NI will do everything my BB's did and more. I have Gmail and Google calendar, so this is perfect for me. The only thing I can think of is how the N1 pushes other email accounts. May want to see if anyone replys to that and I think there are ways around it. Like Yahoo for example. I don't know much about that.

But, everything else is awesome. And when 2.2 is out and you have flash you will be in heaven. Also, a lot of people root these phones and put even more improved and versatile ROM's on it.

I don't know about all touchscreens, but the keyboard on the N1 is as good as the iphone. What I really like and is overlooked, is that it has a trackball also. I love that when selecting smaller links etc on web pages. Apps for this are awesome. I will probably root eventually, but scary for me. But, when rooted you can do full image backups. Otherwise, there are backup apps you can get for backing up your data and apps.

Ken

Thanks for the reply :).. Not too worried about other email providers, have google account. I also use google voice and talk. I do have a hotmail account but not to worried about it, dont use it at all anymore.

Come July I will be a proud Nexus 1 owner and will be using my Bold as a backup. I will not root my device right away but in the near future. Sounds better and better. To think somebody told me the N1 is a piece of ****. Then again he had a 3GS..LOL.

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
kid108,

Your fun will soon begin. I am hoping for 2.2 before my son and his wife come in for Father's Day. They are hard core Apple folks, and I want to show off the N1. They still have the original iphone.

I doubt they will convert. But, I know they will be impressed, even if they don't admit it.

Ken

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
kid108,

Your fun will soon begin. I am hoping for 2.2 before my son and his wife come in for Father's Day. They are hard core Apple folks, and I want to show off the N1. They still have the original iphone.

I doubt they will convert. But, I know they will be impressed, even if they don't admit it.

Ken

Much credit to you if you can convert them especially coming from the Jesus phone... lol. :cool:

How's the battery life on the N1? Will it hold thru the day with moderate usage? That may be the only negative on the N1 from what I've read. So used to my Bold and not having to charge it every day with heavy usage. I would go two solid days with the battery life. If thats the case, I will just purchase a spare battery to carry around. Not a big deal. ;)

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
One day for me, better if I use auto on the screen brightness. It's hard not to use the brightest setting. The screen is gorgeous. Not sure if safest way to go though. I use 3/4 setting.

I have an AC adapter at home and work and a car charger, so never without. I don't like the idea of popping the back off and changing battery every day or two. Wear and Tear issues. The back isn't as easy to get off like my 8900. More like my 8700g.

I got this case: "The Smartphone Experts Top Case for HTC Google Nexus One is made from genuine leather, offers a strong magnetic closure and features a low profile leather belt clip on the back for use with pants or a purse."

I can't post links yet, but you can search from the info above and find it. Just copy the info I posted in quotes and it should come up. Blackberry type case with magnetic flap. Similar to my 8900 case.

I am by no means an expert on this phone or Android. But, learning a little more each day. I held off on a move like this because of the UI on the BB Calendar, which I used a lot. This one is just as easy and if you don't know, has voice to text for the calendar any other place you can input text. Not as good as MyCaption on my BB, but sufficient and free.

Miss Speed Dial, but small price to pay for everything else. You can put your most dialed numbers right on the home screen, any of the 5 home screens. Or, I put about eight of mine in a folder on my main homes screen marked Favorites. The N1 is like a mini computer.

Ken

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
One day for me, better if I use auto on the screen brightness. It's hard not to use the brightest setting. The screen is gorgeous. Not sure if safest way to go though. I use 3/4 setting.

I have an AC adapter at home and work and a car charger, so never without. I don't like the idea of popping the back off and changing battery every day or two. Wear and Tear issues. The back isn't as easy to get off like my 8900. More like my 8700g.

I got this case: "The Smartphone Experts Top Case for HTC Google Nexus One is made from genuine leather, offers a strong magnetic closure and features a low profile leather belt clip on the back for use with pants or a purse."

I can't post links yet, but you can search from the info above and find it. Just copy the info I posted in quotes and it should come up. Blackberry type case with magnetic flap. Similar to my 8900 case.

I am by no means an expert on this phone or Android. But, learning a little more each day. I held off on a move like this because of the UI on the BB Calendar, which I used a lot. This one is just as easy and if you don't know, has voice to text for the calendar any other place you can input text. Not as good as MyCaption on my BB, but sufficient and free.

Miss Speed Dial, but small price to pay for everything else. You can put your most dialed numbers right on the home screen, any of the 5 home screens. Or, I put about eight of mine in a folder on my main homes screen marked Favorites. The N1 is like a mini computer.

Ken

Good point there on the spare battery..dont want any wear or tear on my new device.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Great points here. I'm on AT&T and have the BlackBerry 9000. I'm looking to switch to Android, and the Nexus One is sounding better and better.

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hearing a lot of good things from the Nexus 1. I just read about the HTC Aria.. what a let down. Maybe if it had a better processor and screen I would jump on it. Its not bad looking.

Hopefully I can get my N1 for fathers day. That would be sweet :D.

What are your thoughts on the Aria??

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When I get my N1 do I just put my sim card in and is that all. I have a Bold 9700 with the blackberry enterprise account. Do I have to contact Att or change my internet service? Not to clear about this..fairly new to Att.

baseballkyle

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
When I get my N1 do I just put my sim card in and is that all. I have a Bold 9700 with the blackberry enterprise account. Do I have to contact Att or change my internet service? Not to clear about this..fairly new to Att.
That's all there is to it. No need to contact them, as you are already on the $30 smartphone unlimited data (i presume anyways).

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've heard conflicting stories on whether you need to call AT&T when switching from blackberry. Some say their data rates are slower until they switch to a smartphone plan. Some say they don't have any problems. If you run into issues, you may want to call them.

Sent from my Nexus One

kid108

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've heard conflicting stories on whether you need to call AT&T when switching from blackberry. Some say their data rates are slower until they switch to a smartphone plan. Some say they don't have any problems. If you run into issues, you may want to call them.

Sent from my Nexus One

Thanks for the heads up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnanthRam