freezing problems on new nexus 10

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for yet another newbie question.....

I've had my nexus 10 for 3 days now and in that time it was freezed on me 7 times during app and internet use. Also I have found it to be slow in loading at times, which at first I put down to broadband but now I'm not sure. I love my new gadget, but after spending ?390 I would it expect I to be a little more stable. Any suggestions guys, as if it continues i'll be sending back.

Thanks

entrer1

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
When I first got mine last week I had some of those problems too. After doing some troubleshooting I found my problem to be some bad apps. After removing them all has been good. Have you loaded a bunch of apps on the device? If so try un installing them one at a time to find out if it's a rouge app causing the issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sda5029

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I found that once I stopped using Chrome to browse the internet freezing now only happens once in a great while. I use Dolphin, its a lot faster and a great browser.

CampCash

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, I got my second replacement N10 due to lockups. When I first booted it up (after charging) it locked up and rebooted on the second screen (entering WiFi info). You can't get more clean setup than that, and it still crashes and reboots. Unbelievably frustrating!

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

abalsiger

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
That's a ridiculous statement. Chrome is a native app to the N10. I've had mine for more than a month and experienced 0 problems with Chrome. There is some issue, but I can guarantee it's not chrome.

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That's a ridiculous statement. Chrome is a native app to the N10. I've had mine for more than a month and experienced 0 problems with Chrome. There is some issue, but I can guarantee it's not chrome.

It's not that ridiculous, since there have been several claims that switching to another browser lowers the instances of reboots/crashes. Perhaps only Google and Samsung know the answer, but I would consider Chrome to be a good guess.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you have location services on?

From personal experiance and what I've read in foums it is an Chrome + X issue where the problem isn't Chrome but Chrome and another program/service. Location services off reduces the number of crashes but does not entirely eliminate them.

abalsiger

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have location services on. I find it impossible to believe that I am the only person who got a perfect device. I use Chrome exclusively and as stated before have had 0 issues with freezing. I'm sure it's another app that's not playing nice.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have location services on. I find it impossible to believe that I am the only person who got a perfect device. I use Chrome exclusively and as stated before have had 0 issues with freezing. I'm sure it's another app that's not playing nice.

Glad to hear you are having Zero problems.

I'm curious if there is something you are doing that is different from the rest of us that might be the 'X factor'. would you mind sharing if you use a magnetic case? What are your charging habits? How often do you power off the device? I'm hoping your answers can help steer me to toward a resolution for my device.

abalsiger

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I do have the Bear Motion leather case(the nicer brown one). The magnetic function works properly(people should make sure it's inserted the correct way, I made that mistake once, it's easy to do.)

I only have to charge it at night. Depending on use I go to bed with 20% to 50% battery left. I use HULU and Netflix a lot. I spend a lot of time on chrome surfing and I use several news aggregate apps. I also use all the Play apps as well as the Kindle app. I do also download a lot of apps that end up getting deleted. I'm picky with my apps. I do a lot of email as well, both gmail and yahoo(through the email app,not the yahoo app)

I do power it down m-f before I go to work as it stays home while I work. It stays on all weekend.

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I do power it down m-f before I go to work as it stays home while I work. It stays on all weekend.

You power down almost every day? Maybe this the distunguishing factor, since I'm sure most people do not do this. I bought a tablet 9 months ago and it has been powered down exactly 3 times. I'll be interested to know other users' power habits in relation to the rebooting issues.

davrow

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure there is a relationship yet, but...

No freezes or reboots here, ever (knock on wood). I power off every night. I use Chrome and location services are on. Oh, Bear Motion magnetic case. Sleep works 100%.

Also boot loader is unlocked and I am rooted.

Very lucky? I don't know, but I am thankful.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm this adds some weight to what I've been considering. When I stopped powering down every night I noticed an increase in the reboots. I have powered off for the past 2 nights and will continue to do so for the next 12 or so days to see if I return to the rare reboot I experianced duing my first 6 weekd of ownership.

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd be surprised if its app related. I'm really picky about the apps I allow on devices, only buying from play store or Amazon. Also the apps I have on my nexus are the same apps I have on my HTC phone (which I haven't had any problems with). I'll try turning location services off, installing a new browser and shutting down properly at the end if the day. Bit worrying that a lot of people are having the same problems.

scottws

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I just experienced a freeze and reboot on my Nexus 10 running 4.2.2 immediately after enabling WiFi. The previous uptime was 1 day 18 hours, which is better than my average (but not my max) under 4.2.1.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Just in case a newbie Nexus owner crimes across this thread. Please don't let this thread influence your decision to purchase a nexus 10. The update seems to have fixed the problems people were experiencing. Which just proves to me that Google are committed to their post purchase care.
....many weeks on and my nexus has only crashed twice. Both times whilst using chrome. And none at all since moving over to firefox (which i prefer, as you can watch flash videos like itv player on there!). My nexus is awesome. Love it. Happy, happy, happy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik