HSPA+ 21 vs 42, does it matter?

srosencrans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So, the unlocked Nexus in the Play store gets 42Mbps as well if you have T-Mobile? That would be swell, I've been reading a lot of contradictory statements since yesterday morning.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, lol I had no idea that HSPA 42+ was 4g..

By the originally media adopted meaning of the term 4G (matching the requirements of IMT-Advanced) nothing currently available is 4G. For that you would need LTE-Advanced deployed on at least 60MHz with 4 spatial layers (or 30 MHz with 8 layers).

Current LTE deployments, particularly in the US where they top out at 10 MHz and 2 layers, fall far short of IMT-Advanced, which the media likes to refer to as 4G.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So, the unlocked Nexus in the Play store gets 42Mbps as well if you have T-Mobile? That would be swell, I've been reading a lot of contradictory statements since yesterday morning.

That's what everyone is saying. I guess we have to wait for someone to really test it... but most likely there are not 2 different versions (Also, I don't see Tmobile asking Lg to change the antenna just for their production...if that was true Tmobile would have made sure to mention that because it would push people towards buying the phone from them).
So i guess they put 21 speeds on Google Play page so that AT&T customers are not fooled - they will not have 42 no matter what.

anoojshah

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The speed capability doesn't matter so much for you as it does for the carrier. Chances are, there will be other HSPA users sharing the cell tower with you, so you'll never be able to take advantage of the max speed. I wouldn't worry about it.

//from a former HSPA Engineer

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As if people were really still convinced that there are different versions...

Google has fixed their page to display 42mbps HSPA+ on the Play Store: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ature=device-featured&hl=en-US&token=iz7ue4M1

Thanks Andrew I saw the same tech specs yesterday and was very surprised since T-Mobile is a launch customer why they wouldn't offer the 42mbps service. Now I just need to convince myself that is enough of a change from my current Galaxy Nexus to warrant purchasing the LG Nexus.... Decisions, decisions. LOL

arklab

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I was just at the T-Mobile store in Laguna Niguel California.
The top tech (who has a Nexus 4) double checked his phone, and yes BOTH Nexus 4 and service is HSPA+ 42.

Solved for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87