What more could you need?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Android 4.1 gave us Google Now (very cool and useful) as well as some major software improvements (Butta). 4.2 gives us Photosphere (fun) and some new gestures (useful) and refinements.
My question is this, based on everything in Android 4.2, what the hell else could you possibly need your TELEPHONE to do (from a software standpoint)? Are there any truly USEFUL features we're still missing or is the future just going to add more "Vegas" sparkle and pizzazz?

Sent from my HTC One X

signothetimez

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I for one would love to soon have a phone with a complete lack of bezel. I just want a glass surface and solar charging. I'm sure there can be something done about the fingerprint issue. Other than that, I don't see how much further smartphones can go.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The SMS/MMS & Phone to all built on voip, built in by google and free for every country replacing the current ones but looking in the similar, simless mobiles. If all phones could adopt this ethos it would excellent and If that was the case I would buy my girlfriend one and myself the very day its released.

Broken_Arrow

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I want a phone that can create money out of thin air and also has the ability to control space and time. until such time, i won't be fully satisfied. hopefully Android Key Lime Pie can implement these features or i will be forced to move to iOS

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I want a phone that can create money out of thin air and also has the ability to control space and time. until such time, i won't be fully satisfied. hopefully Android Key Lime Pie can implement these features or i will be forced to move to iOS
I think the closest thing to that is credit card fraud or printing your own money.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I want a new UI. Or at least a major overhaul. I don't know quite what.....but I want to be amazed and excited at the thought of relearning my way around the OS again.

I want more settings. I know custom ROMS probably have a lot to offer in this regard, but I just want it in stock Android. Just examples I can think of off the top of my head
- brightness, contrast, colour controls for the display.
- toggles rather than settings shortcuts, or at least the choice of either.
- profiles, which I imagine an app like Tasker would do, that I can program depending on time, date, battery level, location....
- the little UI things like the choice of whether my homescreens should stop when I get to the end, or continue round. I currently use Apex to do this, but again, I'd prefer stock Android to take care of such simple things, as I trust Google more than app developers.

I don't quite know how this would work, but what if Google separated the OS from all the apps and allowed us to completely customize the installation by ticking each function we wanted upon setup, then it would download the installation packages for each thing and install it like it does regular apps. So, if I dont want something on my phone, rather than have to go in and disable it (if it lets me) and have it still take up space, it's just not installed in the first place? If you missed it the first time and find you want to try something out, then just go to the Play Store and get it.

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well for me personally its not necessarily about more features as much as it is about perfecting the features they have already implemented. The biggest one for me is voice recognition. I don't have an accent or anything but sometimes it just gets words wrong. Like really bad lol But for the most part, its very good. I think there will come a time where it will literally be very very close to flawless in terms of recognizing any word you say. The same goes for predictive texting. Also I think google now is going to be absolutely perfect in say two or three years. I see a bright future ahead. Go team google!
Android 4.1 gave us Google Now (very cool and useful) as well as some major software improvements (Butta). 4.2 gives us Photosphere (fun) and some new gestures (useful) and refinements.
My question is this, based on everything in Android 4.2, what the hell else could you possibly need your TELEPHONE to do (from a software standpoint)? Are there any truly USEFUL features we're still missing or is the future just going to add more "Vegas" sparkle and pizzazz?

Sent from my HTC One X

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Well for me personally its not necessarily about more features as much as it is about perfecting the features they have already implemented. The biggest one for me is voice recognition. I don't have an accent or anything but sometimes it just gets words wrong. Like really bad lol But for the most part, its very good. I think there will come a time where it will literally be very very close to flawless in terms of recognizing any word you say. The same goes for predictive texting. Also I think google now is going to be absolutely perfect in say two or three years. I see a bright future ahead. Go team google!

I agree. I'm not sure there's anything "new" left to add. There's plenty of room for perfecting what's already there but "new" features? I'm sure they'll come up with something I didn't know I needed....

Sent from my HTC One X

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I want a new UI. Or at least a major overhaul. I don't know quite what.....but I want to be amazed and excited at the thought of relearning my way around the OS again.

I want more settings. I know custom ROMS probably have a lot to offer in this regard, but I just want it in stock Android. Just examples I can think of off the top of my head
- brightness, contrast, colour controls for the display.
- toggles rather than settings shortcuts, or at least the choice of either.
- profiles, which I imagine an app like Tasker would do, that I can program depending on time, date, battery level, location....
- the little UI things like the choice of whether my homescreens should stop when I get to the end, or continue round. I currently use Apex to do this, but again, I'd prefer stock Android to take care of such simple things, as I trust Google more than app developers.

I don't quite know how this would work, but what if Google separated the OS from all the apps and allowed us to completely customize the installation by ticking each function we wanted upon setup, then it would download the installation packages for each thing and install it like it does regular apps. So, if I dont want something on my phone, rather than have to go in and disable it (if it lets me) and have it still take up space, it's just not installed in the first place? If you missed it the first time and find you want to try something out, then just go to the Play Store and get it.

I'm happy to let you know ALL of this can be yours in just a few minutes by unlocking/rooting your Nexus. Yes, some of these custom roms,mods, etc are even built by college kids, some buy actual developer teams, but I guarantee you will be amazed that the dev community can take what a huge company like Google releases and make it just as stable, faster, and have tons of custom options. It's seriously amazing. In general, people needs to stop thinking of unlocking/rooting/flashing as something only dirty, non law abiding citzens should partake in. You would love my LTE gnex running the latest AOSP based rom and all the 4.2 goodies that have leaked. Read a few stickies in the hacking section to familiarize yourself, root/flash, and you'll have all the things you want. Worried about voiding your warranty? Don't be, you can return it back to stock in minutes, and there's absolutely no way to tell it was ever unlocked/customized.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Be careful of what you wish for. I remember reading an old book where this guy invented what he called a Gizmo that duplicated everything that was attatched to one side of it onto the other side of it and thought if everyone had one then every one could be happy as they could have every thing. It ended with distroying civilization. :( Of course they could make the camera take X-Ray pics like Supermans eyes.:DO:)

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Technologies are always being expanded, new ideas implemented.

As it stands now, sure, phones are great, but just because you can't think of any new features doesn't mean there aren't any planned.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
A real secure device would be nice. Personally all i would want now that phones are getting more powerful is investing in compression so that file sizes don't keep getting larger but to minimise new apps keeping the same quality. Im sure if we did the same pacman with the same looks today the file would be way larger, we need to tone down the sizes.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I actually know exactly what I want: improved camera's.

I want better sensors that work even better in low-light situation's with flashes. We all know a flash more often that not can ruin a good picture as they wash out the image horribly. So, on top of better sensors/flashes (heck, maybe even an adaptable flash that adjust how strong it's burst is depending on the distance of your focal point), I want optical zooms- I don't think any words need be said how terrible any form of a digital zoom is.

So camera's and standard battery size are my biggest complaints. However, I wouldn't be truly surprised too see the next generation of flagship phones debuts with upper 2000's/lower 3000's mAh batteries (thanks for setting the precedent, Moto!)

That said, the software side of the Android world continues to evolve and impress; Google will continue to bring new features to the table and that's all anyone can ask for.