A question about the cellular plan

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
So with the Nexus, I'm interested in trying a new prepaid service but have some quick questions. I'm primarily looking at the Tmobile $30 unlimited text/data with 100min calling. Now I normally use less than 100min but I want to be ready for emergencies since I'm treading at the 90min level right now.

So with the unlimited data, does that mean I can use Google Voice to receive all my voice calls? (Thus meaning I use wifi/3g to take calls and don't have to dig into my voice plan)
Can I make calls go through my google voice number instead of "calling all my numbers" and never having to use my sim number?
Can I forward calls to my cellular number to my google voice number?

None of the above work on my iphone... so is it different for Android

And most importantly: Will Google Voice work through data to take voice calls?

I'd love to try this plan if it works with google voice and then I wouldn't need to worry about the limited amount of minutes. If not, I'll look at straight talk but it is $15 more so tmobile would be better. Thanks for the help.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Should look at the other threads going in here. These exact questions are answered at least 30 times since these N4 forums opened.

So with the Nexus, I'm interested in trying a new prepaid service but have some quick questions. I'm primarily looking at the Tmobile $30 unlimited text/data with 100min calling. Now I normally use less than 100min but I want to be ready for emergencies since I'm treading at the 90min level right now.

So with the unlimited data, does that mean I can use Google Voice to receive all my voice calls? (Thus meaning I use wifi/3g to take calls and don't have to dig into my voice plan)

NO. Google voice, by default, uses your cell minutes. Google Voice is a call forwarding service, not a VOIP service. If someone calls your GV#, or you call out via your GV#, it uses voice minutes and the regular 2G cell network. If you want VOIP, you should look at some of the VOIP apps that interface with GV + Google Talk to try and do IP calls. The quality is moderate at best. If you need lots of calls, choose a plan with more minutes.

Also, on the T-Mobile plan, once you go over 100 minutes, additional minutes are billed at $0.10/min. Leave some money in your account and your phone will continue to make calls after 100min.

Can I make calls go through my google voice number instead of "calling all my numbers" and never having to use my sim number?

With GV, you can make every call in and every call out use your GV #. You don't even have to know your SIM card's # once you set it up the first time as a forwarding phone.

Can I forward calls to my cellular number to my google voice number?

Maybe with some weird conditional call forwarding... but I'm not sure why you would do this? It'd be an endless loop of ringing (GV forwards, phone forwards, GV, phone....). If someone calls your SIM card's #, your phone will just ring like a normal call. GV doesn't need to be involved there.

None of the above work on my iphone... so is it different for Android

huh? GV works just about the same on the iPhone as it does on the Android phones. The Android experience is just more integrated because you can use the regular stock dialer to make calls rather than the GV app... The regular calling in/out and texting all works the exact same on iOS.

And most importantly: Will Google Voice work through data to take voice calls?

See above. No, not by default. You need a 3rd party app to try and do this.

I'd love to try this plan if it works with google voice and then I wouldn't need to worry about the limited amount of minutes. If not, I'll look at straight talk but it is $15 more so tmobile would be better. Thanks for the help.

GV will use your minutes. Read above. Then maybe readjust your expectations and see if its still for you.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
No, google voice is a call forwarding service and dont provide calls through data yet. it will still take your minutes.

if you go over 100 minutes T-Mobile will still let you make calls but at $0.10 per minute. you can use voip services which let you calls via data for free.

I guess my understanding of google voice is completely wrong then? I thought it could replace my voice plan... Well I guess straighttalk may get my money then, although $.10/minute doesn't sound terrible. How would they get me to pay that since it's prepaid?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess my understanding of google voice is completely wrong then? I thought it could replace my voice plan... Well I guess straighttalk may get my money then, although $.10/minute doesn't sound terrible. How would they get me to pay that since it's prepaid?

Yes, GV uses minutes. You're mistaken. Read my lengthy response above :p .

You can put money on your account for use as extra minutes. If you have $3.00 in your account, it can be used as 30 minutes.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
How would I do this if I plan on purchasing the prepaid cards from walmart?

You'd have to maybe purchase a $10 prepaid card or something. Money is money to T-Mobile. Any way you get $$ into the account works for refills, overages, or anything else you can bill within their account system.

The easiest way is to buy refill cards online or add a debit/credit card to the account so you can refill at any time.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You will have to have some balance on your account. since you said you dont use more than 100 minutes. how bad can you go?? 40 minutes over use???
which is only $4 a months. its only for emergency right so you should be good. have some balance in your account.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
You'd have to maybe purchase a $10 prepaid card or something. Money is money to T-Mobile. Any way you get $$ into the account works for refills, overages, or anything else you can bill within their account system.

The easiest way is to buy refill cards online or add a debit/credit card to the account so you can refill at any time.

k sweet. Thanks!