Where do EBay sellers get off selling the N4 for twice its value?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't find a BIN listing for less than $400, and I even saw one for $600!!! Are EBay sellers really delusional enough to believe that people will pay TWICE the phone's value?

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
People get desperate when they want something badly, who have the means to buy it will buy it.
Money is time, if it saves time buying it for $100 rather then spending hours looking for a bargain why not.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
no, they most likely bought them through lg. Lg has priced it around 500. The only low ball pricing is google. Even t mobile can't sell it for Google's price

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That's just the way it is. It's the free market. I sold my Iphone 5 for almost $100.00 more than what it's worth. I personelly wouldn't buy stuff just to flip it on Ebay for a crazy price but, it was nice to use the money from my Iphone 5 to buy my nexus devices.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
People can because when the iphone was first released and sold on ebay it was cheaper then buying it in Aus by a hundred dollars or so.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
That's just the way it is. It's the free market. I sold my Iphone 5 for almost $100.00 more than what it's worth. I personelly wouldn't buy stuff just to flip it on Ebay for a crazy price but, it was nice to use the money from my Iphone 5 to buy my nexus devices.

The free market is all about competition. There's no way that I'm going to pay $500 for the device, when it's only $300 on the Play store!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With ebay and PayPal fees one would have to sell a nexus 4 for over $400 not to lose money. And if there are plenty of buyers paying over $500 why sell for less?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The free market is all about competition. There's no way that I'm going to pay $500 for the device, when it's only $300 on the Play store!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Maybe for your country, but other countries in the play store it costs more. E.g In my country the 16gb version is $70 more expensive in US Dollars.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If people are dumb enough to spend that amount of money on the phone, then they deserve to get taken advantage of. I don't hate on people who buy electronics that sell out then turn around and sell them marked up and I don't feel sorry for the idiots who just can't wait. If they have money to burn, let them.

copperwatt

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Where do EBay sellers get off selling the N4 for twice its value?

Hmmm, two things:

What they are doing is selling it at twice its *list price* (from ONE particular retail source, the Play store)
If someone sells it at that price, that higher price is, by definition, the "value" of the item to someone.
Google chooses the price, the market decides the value.

Second, I think it is very likely Google is selling this phone at or below cost, for whatever debatable reason.
Is it really so surprising that someone would pay the same price as a SIII for a phone that is arguable (for some people) an upgrade from the SIII?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The appalling ignorance of how economics works really comes to light when people start complaining that someone is overcharging for something scarce. Look at the people here who went to T-Mobile stores and paid $500 to have the N4 NOW rather than wait for their $350 phones to come. To them, it was worth $150 to have it NOW rather than wait a few weeks. Why is it wrong for speculators to try and ask for more than the Play store list price when T-Mo stores are doing the same thing. The way the free market works is sellers can ask any price and the customers can decide whether they want to pay it. This isn't food and water after a disaster, it's a gizmo that no one truly NEEDS. Just because an eBayer is asking $600 doesn't mean they'll get it. OTOH, I've seen people bid up the price of stuff that's not scarce over its list, like people bidding $75 for a videogame that is everywhere for $60. I'm talking vanilla editions that you can go anywhere and buy for the MSRP. Why they don't go to Amazon and simply buy it is a mystery.

Another peeve of mine is people using the word "value" interchangeably with "price." The thread topic complains of people "selling the N4 for twice its value" when what they're doing is asking twice the PRICE. Value is a concept, not a number. An item's value to a person is unrelated to its market price. People who paid $1000 on eBay for a Wii when it came out so they could shield their brats from the concepts of disappointment and patience felt that was a good value, while someone like me wouldn't buy a Wii at any price, list or less, much less more than list. It has no value to me. If your house burns down and the blanket your first-born came home from the hospital is lost, your insurance company isn't going to give you anything for it because it's got little material worth (another word more concept than number) and they don't pay off on how valuable it is to you for sentimental reasons.

Let's flip the question: What if you managed to get your hands on a N4 for $350, but saw people willing to pay $600 or more for one? Would you keep it and enjoy it now or would you flip it for a nice profit and then get another one when they come back in stock in a couple of weeks. What is a having a Nexus 4 RIGHT NOW worth to you? People have different thresholds of patience and measures of value. I've been in the market for a phone to get off of Trudge for a couple of months now and was looking to pick up something on the anticipated Amazon Penny Sale. I was willing to wait 2-3 months to save the $200 cost of the phone. Then along came the Nexus 4 and I was super-stoked to get it and was expecting delivery Monday, even ordering my Straight Talk SIM which is being delivered today and will be lonely for a few weeks it turns out. I REALLY want this phone, but not $150 much. I wasn't planning on having a new phone in hand until after Thanksgiving and that appears to be what will happen, though I'll be having a N4 instead of a GS3. I can wait. The eBay seller doesn't have a customer in me, but it's not wrong for them to try and make a buck off of someone else with more dollars than patience.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
That is basically what it boils down too...supply and demand and with the nexus 4 in high demand, people are going to pay ridiculous prices for the n4 however that goes for just about anything in high demand...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

moonlitwingsx

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm just watching and waiting to see if Google surprises us with a new and plentiful batch of phones weeks ahead of the rumored 3-week restock wait time, internationally and locally. All those people who bought 10+ phones to sell it for more than double its value on eBay (and who are getting the partial blame as to why the stock ran out-- besides Google not putting quantity limits per transaction) will NOT be happy. :)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't find a BIN listing for less than $400, and I even saw one for $600!!! Are EBay sellers really delusional enough to believe that people will pay TWICE the phone's value?

It's called an open market of buyers and sellers. If no one bought it at that price, it wouldn't be so high...

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It reminds me of someone at Cheap Ass Gamer who was whining, "Why do publishers charge $60 for these games?" I replied, "Because people are willing to pay $60 for these games."

You can see the economics in action as Nintendo is suffering greatly in what used to be their evergreen segment, handheld games like the DS. How do you get people to pay $30 for a game on a cartridge to put into a separate $150 device when people already have a smartphone with better hardware and games are a dollar or free?