Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

What should I do?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

What should I do?

I'm 99% sure that Google Chrome does not support flash. Try using another browser

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm 99% sure that Google Chrome does not support flash. Try using another browser

It's not working with the Dolphin HD browser either. I don't think that the browser is the problem.

EDIT:
I guess it was the browser after all. It works with Firefox, so I guess Firefox will be my browser of choice

EDIT 2:
I just found the .apk file for the old stock Android browser, as well.

Last edited:

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I recommend complaining to the webmaster for any sites that are still using flash. They are clearly lazy.

Okay, but this isn't a thread debating why developers are not using HTML5. Id rather just get flash working than complain to every webmaster I come across using flash still

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I recommend complaining to the webmaster for any sites that are still using flash. They are clearly lazy.

Flash is not dead. It is dying, but it won't be dead until it stops being so widely used on websites. Flash still dominates HTML5 in that arena, and it makes no sense for Google to just suddenly stop supporting it when it is still so widely used. Did you really expect every site that uses Flash to switch to HTML5 overnight?

Silly question-tried restarting your phone?

Yes, and to no avail.

Last edited:

Antoan Arnaudov

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

Really Google?

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

Really Google?

When I get my Nexus I will get out a working flash for our devices and the instructions

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Really Google?

It's not Google but Adobe that stopped mobile Flash development. What's Google supposed to do? Support a feature that was abandoned by the developer?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I used similar measures to force install of Flash on my Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 tablet and immediately started having multiple browser crashes every hour as well as other problems.

I was never a fan of Flash as it has a long history of causing problems with desktop browsers, however there are way too many sites which are useless without a flash viewer.

At any rate, based on my experience with the Samsung tablet, I have decided not to repeat the mistake with my N4.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.

Usage Statistics of Flash for Websites, December 2012 . Flash is used by 21.5% of all the websites that are online.

Here are a few websites that still use flash, none of them are really popular, or anything

Yahoo.com
Twitter.com
Sina.com.cn
163.com
Go.com
Bbc.co.uk
Youku.com
Flickr.com
Ifeng.com
Youtube.com
Hulu.com

I'm going to give youtube a call and tell them to stop being lazy.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
neeflash.JPG
I haven't used flash in some time and I don't ever recall not being able to view a YouTube submission.
Turned off flash on my browser, can no longer watch videos.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
In the browser, or does it open the YouTube app?

Exactly. Youtube is the exception because there is an app for android to play it for you.

The point is, youtube.com (the website) is still 100% based on flash (there is a HTML5 beta you can join), yet you claim only lazy/careless developers are the only ones using it. It's obvious it's not which is why there is this thread asking about flash.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.

So this statement only was directed to the mobile device?
Again, you're missing the point, or just being too arrogant on your position , because it's beyond clear that a lot of popular sites still use flash. Just because there is a mobile version of a watered down youtube doesn't justify to not support Adobe's flash.

This is getting redundant, but here is more info for youtube.com
System requirements - YouTube Help

In order to watch videos on our site, make sure you have the following minimum system requirements:

General System Requirements:

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22+ plug-in
Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 7.0+, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome, or Opera
Broadband connection with 500+ Kbps

Moving forward in this thread, like i stated previously, once I obtain my Nexus 4 I will build out a compatible version of flash that will also let you view android restricted flash videos including Hulu, ABC etc.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

This is a ridiculous perspective. Whether or not you develop with Flash is irrelevant. There are thousands upon thousands of web sites that use flash. I would guess that most people don't care if a web sites development is up to the current technological spec or not...they just wont to be able to view it. Flash will not magically go away because Adobe no longer supports it, so neither should my phones ability to view it. Having said that, the solution is easy...just don't use Chrome.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
YouTube, boom, Flash not necessary. Unfortunately there's no way to push advertising through html5 video as well as Flash does so html5 isn't going to pay the bills for Web developers whom have big name clients whose advertising income base is heavily invested in Flash. Web developers can rarely work probono so if the client insists on Flash what are your options?

I installed the apk successfully on my N4,I still wish Flash was dead though.