Anyone using Google Voice VOIP over data connection: what's lowest data speed it works at? (Updated)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Google Voice VOIP over data connection: what's lowest data speed it works at?

A Dev (snrb_labs) for GrooveIP is very active in a thread on the Optimus V sub-forum. http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...-option-gv-single-app-solution-groove-ip.html

I played with my setting quite abit before getting it right. It is also not the same for every device so I suggest taking some time and doing a guess and check method. Have someone in another room with another phone and just keep calling them with one setting changed till you notice what that setting does with your device.

I did play with the settings (there aren't a lot of them) and was able to remove echo and make myself louder, but everyone still hated the sound of it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Google Voice VOIP over data connection: what's lowest data speed it works at?

I did play with the settings (there aren't a lot of them) and was able to remove echo and make myself louder, but everyone still hated the sound of it.

Tell them "tough $hit" unless they want to pay you phone bill they can get over it or quit talking to you.

AtomicFrost

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The cost is very small though. $30/mo for the tmo plan, 2.99/mo call anywhere in US, and I think 2.99/mo for a phone number. Seriously better then 59/mo for 1500 minutes...

I was looking into how much total it would cost to get an external number through Skype that people can call. An external number usually costs $60 a year, but if you sign up for the $2.99 a month plan it's half off. So it would be $30 + $2.99 a month. Total year cost is $65.88, and the monthly cost would only be $5.49. I'm not sure if there's any extra tax? Either way a total of ~$35 a month with the T-Mobile plan + unlimited VOIP is a pretty slick deal.

I have played around with Groove IP on my Nexus 7, and it actually works pretty well over my WiFi when calling another cellphone. However, I haven't done too much testing yeat, and I still have to experiment with using it over 3G/4G. If Groove IP doesn't work at all over 3/4G I'll give Skype's service a try, but I'm not supper picky about call quality so I hope it works out. :)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I was looking into how much total it would cost to get an external number through Skype that people can call. An external number usually costs $60 a year, but if you sign up for the $2.99 a month plan it's half off. So it would be $30 + $2.99 a month. Total year cost is $65.88, and the monthly cost would only be $5.49. I'm not sure if there's any extra tax? Either way a total of ~$35 a month with the T-Mobile plan + unlimited VOIP is a pretty slick deal.

I have played around with Groove IP on my Nexus 7, and it actually works pretty well over my WiFi when calling another cellphone. However, I haven't done too much testing yeat, and I still have to experiment with using it over 3G/4G. If Groove IP doesn't work at all over 3/4G I'll give Skype's service a try, but I'm not supper picky about call quality so I hope it works out. :)

Let me know how Skype works for you. I'm going to try it soon as well. The one problem though, is it eats a lot of battery life! Idling, it'll use 10% of the battery drain!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Just added my test with Skype over Wifi. The call quality was the best by a long, long shot. I haven't yet tested it over the Sprint hotspot (I'm guessing it won't work, but I might be wrong), but I'll post that when I do.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

I've been using Google Voice + Groove IP for the past week on T-Mo's $30 plan and haven't had any real issues. When I tested it myself over WiFi (w/ my GS2), there was major lag but when I called my wife, she said she didn't notice any delay. Of course that was over a 30mbps connection, so I still need to try on the T-Mo network. But if this month long trial goes well, I'll be ditching Sprint...well, sorta. Wife still has a year on her contract.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I've been using Google Voice + Groove IP for the past week on T-Mo's $30 plan and haven't had any real issues. When I tested it myself over WiFi (w/ my GS2), there was major lag but when I called my wife, she said she didn't notice any delay. Of course that was over a 30mbps connection, so I still need to try on the T-Mo network. But if this month long trial goes well, I'll be ditching Sprint...well, sorta. Wife still has a year on her contract.

Have you tried it over a data connection yet? How was it? After your calls, can you also test the up/down speeds in speedtest?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

I use Talkatone, and my experience with it seems to be different from most here. I actually find Talkatone having much less delay issues than GrooveIP. Either way, I have used Talkatone both over wifi and T-mo data, and wifi is definitely better, but that's mainly because of the latency issues with mobile data. It does work pretty well over a data connection though. I haven't got to test on all different kinds of speeds, since I almost always get an HSPA+ connection with T-mo.

For outgoing calls, I have also tried using the Vonage Mobile app (and registered my GV number with it), and on quality, it beats the pants off of Talkatone, GrooveIP, etc. It's 3000 minutes free per month, but only works for outgoing calls.

All this being said, I don't use minutes all that much anyway. The vast majority of my communications over the phone is through texting or chat applications. My guess is that if I were to use no VoIP app, I would still have a pretty hard time going over 100 minutes on most months.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I use Talkatone, and my experience with it seems to be different from most here. I actually find Talkatone having much less delay issues than GrooveIP. Either way, I have used Talkatone both over wifi and T-mo data, and wifi is definitely better, but that's mainly because of the latency issues with mobile data. It does work pretty well over a data connection though. I haven't got to test on all different kinds of speeds, since I almost always get an HSPA+ connection with T-mo.

For outgoing calls, I have also tried using the Vonage Mobile app (and registered my GV number with it), and on quality, it beats the pants off of Talkatone, GrooveIP, etc. It's 3000 minutes free per month, but only works for outgoing calls.

All this being said, I don't use minutes all that much anyway. The vast majority of my communications over the phone is through texting or chat applications. My guess is that if I were to use no VoIP app, I would still have a pretty hard time going over 100 minutes on most months.

Thanks for the info!

The problem with GrooveIP is that it only has one quality/codec setting, so it takes about 1.2mb per minute of talk. The other VOIP apps can adjust for (or default to) lower bandwidths. I found that sipdroid doesn't adjust well, but if you manually change it to a lower codec (like speex 11kbit) it works well on a very slow connection.

Have you tried the one free call to a phone from Skype? I'd like to know how it compares to Vonage quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699