What would non 4G speeds be on TMobile?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My N4 is on TMobile's $30 plan, so I'm not worried about exceeding my 5gb of data, but I put my wife (who talks too much) on the $50 plan that has unlimited everything, BUT only 100mg of 4G data. Has anyone run speedtest.net on TMo after the 4G cap was used up? I'm wondering what download speeds she'll get. On 4G (in our area) we're averaging around 14mgb.

Christian Jacob

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've run through my 5GB cap a few times streaming Movies and TV shows from my HTPC to my phone. I would get average 2-5 Mb Down as high as 13. After the cap I'd get about 50K down...Absolutely useless till my month restarts.

Screenshot_2012-12-21-10-32-13.png

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My wife has an old grandfathered tmo unlimited plan with caps - when she hits the cap, it crawls... haven't tested it, but I would bet it is certainly under 1mbps.

Christian Jacob

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
well my photo is being approved with screenshots...I've hit my cap a few times because I stream TV and movies to my phone from my HTPC lol. but Its gone down to about 50kb which is useless basically.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an old grandfathered tmo unlimited plan with caps - when she hits the cap, it crawls... haven't tested it, but I would bet it is certainly under 1mbps.

well my photo is being approved with screenshots...I've hit my cap a few times because I stream TV and movies to my phone from my HTPC lol. but Its gone down to about 50kb which is useless basically.

Sounds like tethering to pc would be useless, but I wonder if that's a good enough speed to use Navigation?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
3G is 7.2 Mbps down or less.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Where you are? Or are you saying everywhere?

I've never hit the cap but on HSPA+, I regularly get between 8.2-16mbps down and 1.1-3mbps up.

For comparison:

Sprint 3G: 240-430kbps down and 50-125kbps up
Sprint 4G (WiMax): 2-4mbps down and 90-700kbps up (very slow "up")

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Well, my wife hit the 100 mg cap already. It only took about 15 hours. I have no idea how she exceeded 100 mg. She's got 1 weather widget that updates every 2 hours, did no web surfing and only a few emails. I can only guess that it was consumed by Android System stuff, which seems excessive.

As to the throttling, according to what her account now says, you get switched to 2G (NOT 3G) after you exceed your 4G data cap. Speedtest.net shows her download averages 115kb. It's no speed demon, but pulling up a web site works, it's just slower...but not at all unusable.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Well, my wife hit the 100 mg cap already. It only took about 15 hours. I have no idea how she exceeded 100 mg. She's got 1 weather widget that updates every 2 hours, did no web surfing and only a few emails. I can only guess that it was consumed by Android System stuff, which seems excessive.

Go on her phone, go into settings and data usage and see which apps are using data. (Report back here, people might have solutions)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My N4 is on TMobile's $30 plan, so I'm not worried about exceeding my 5gb of data, but I put my wife (who talks too much) on the $50 plan that has unlimited everything, BUT only 100mg of 4G data. Has anyone run speedtest.net on TMo after the 4G cap was used up? I'm wondering what download speeds she'll get. On 4G (in our area) we're averaging around 14mgb.

Can you say slooowwwww...? Like unusable.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

As to the throttling, according to what her account now says, you get switched to 2G (NOT 3G) after you exceed your 4G data cap. Speedtest.net shows her download averages 115kb. It's no speed demon, but pulling up a web site works, it's just slower...but not at all unusable.

My wife leaves her's on 2G all the time and when reaching the cap it slows to a crawl - so there is still a big difference between 2G and capped. She disabled 3g because she doesn't want to hit her cap too soon. LOL

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Unless I upgrade my plan ill be able to tell you my results in about a week or two. :) on the 2GB plan switched from the GNex to N4 a day after my billing cycle reset and have already used 750MB in 7 days (that's with using Wifi at home). With the GNex I rarely went over 1 GB a month.

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
My friend has the $50 pre-paid plan as your wifes and today i tried to mess with his phone to get 3g only instead of 2g with this app called phone info and it worked..all i did was change his radio preference to wcdma only..he gets abot 3-5 mbs which is pretty decent..

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My friend has the $50 pre-paid plan as your wifes and today i tried to mess with his phone to get 3g only instead of 2g with this app called phone info and it worked..all i did was change his radio preference to wcdma only..he gets abot 3-5 mbs which is pretty decent..

Very interesting, but I can't figure out what the app actually does. It has no description in the Market.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
http://i47.tinypic.com/2505fg8.png

I have the $50 Plane, The first 100 Mb was good 9123 kbps, But after that it really sucks 117 Kbps :(

How many days do you have to suffer with that? :-(

I will ask even though it's throttled is it actually EDGE or is it still 3G? Only ask because at least if it's 3G you get the benefit of simultaneous voice and data.

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
It basically tells you information of your phone like is your battery healthy ,statistics and what not as well shows you the network and what cell radio you are using such as gsm,cdma,lte etc and it allows you to change it to your preference...my sister has a verizon gs3 and for some reason it did not have a setting for turning off 4g so i found this app for her and changed the cell radio preference to cdma instead of lte so she wouldnt go over the limit..

canary_111

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How many days do you have to suffer with that? :-(

I will ask even though it's throttled is it actually EDGE or is it still 3G? Only ask because at least if it's 3G you get the benefit of simultaneous voice and data.

The first 100 mb high speed lasts for about week or less. Even tough I just do some surfing and check some emails. The rest of the month was very slow. I got this msg from T-Mobile "Free T-Mobile Msg: You have used 100 MB of data this month at up to 4G speed (if on a capable device). You will now receive unlimited web at basic 2G speed."

crashprone

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Also getting the same speeds as @canary_111's in southern California after going over 100MBs in the $50 monthly 4G plan.

I did not read the fine print and thought I would be throttled to 3G, but alas, you get 2G speeds after going over the limit. Web browsing is bearable but I am switching to the $60 plan next month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress